Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Meguiar's vs. Porter Cable Buffer

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiar's vs. Porter Cable Buffer

so i am looking at getting a buffer for my spring detail in a few weeks. i have never used a buffer so these would be the best choice for me cost wise and ease of use. i am trying to figure out what the best route to go would be. I am going to be using meguiar's #80, NXT wax and finish with meguiar's #26. which one of these buffers would be best for the amount of stuff you get in the package and for best performance. i have some micro scratches i am trying to take care of with the #80. also the meguiars comes with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+KIT2

any input from you guys would be greatly appreaciated. thanks.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately the Porter Cable.

However, don't get that kit that you listed. #80 will only do a little for your swirls. It will be better yes, but if you are working on GM clear (which is typically hard), 80 just isn't enough. Here is a hand-picked starter package for you:

-Porter Cable
-5" backing plate
-5.5" Lake Country pads: Orange, White, black (don't waste your time on 6.5" pads)
-Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
-Menzerna Nano (also know as 106FA)
-finish with your wax or sealant of choice.

You don't need a pad cleaner. Just take it to the water faucet when it starts to build up too much and clean it with water, using this brush: http://www.autogeek.net/padtool.html

A word on LSP (last step product, ie wax/sealant). Waxes don't last long 4-8 weeks max, but look deep and rich. Sealants last 3-6 months and provide great shine with amazing reflections.

Some good wax choices:
-Swissvax Concorso (expensive)
-Pinnacle Sovereign
-P21S 100%
-Collinite 476

-#26 (average in looks, and poor durability)
-NXT (below average looks, terrible durability, difficult to remove)

Good sealant choice:
-Zaino (best IMO)
-Rejex

The combination of these products I listed are more than the package deal, yes. However this will give you everything you need to get started. Especially these Menzerna polishes which were designed for hard clear coats. Good luck. Let us know what you get.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have to agree with the guy above me. Go with a proven setup. Sure the Meguiar's comes with a lifetime warranty - but does it come with a satisfaction guarantee? I've got the Porter Cable and my car has never looked so good! It's really user-friendly as well. Check out Tropi-care.com for your detailing and Porter Cable needs. The owner is really helpful as well.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with everyone...skip the NXT and Meg's. Go with a Porter Cable and a combo of Menzerna/Tropicare or Zaino...

I have two black CTS-Vs and the PC/Tropicare combo is a hit. I get compliments on my paint all the time. Also, Steve@Tropicare is really responsive and easy to work with...do a search for some of his detail jobs on this forum...the metallic orange GTO looks AMAZING!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tropi-Care has a kit that includes the PC, pads and bonnets. We also have an entire line of products to keep your vehicle looking great. The PC is very user friendly. You will feel comfortable with it in no time. Post up or PM with any questions you have. Click on the link on the right for all the products>>>>>>>
Old 04-17-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Definately the Porter Cable.

However, don't get that kit that you listed. #80 will only do a little for your swirls. It will be better yes, but if you are working on GM clear (which is typically hard), 80 just isn't enough. Here is a hand-picked starter package for you:

-Porter Cable
-5" backing plate
-5.5" Lake Country pads: Orange, White, black (don't waste your time on 6.5" pads)
-Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
-Menzerna Nano (also know as 106FA)
-finish with your wax or sealant of choice.
those products that you talked about do look awesome but they are just out of my price range for now and i already have the mequiars stuff here so thats what i will be trying and hoping to get some decent results. i know the better the product the better the results so when i can afford it i will bump up to those products. i have saved it on my hard drive for future reference : )

Tropi-Care has a kit that includes the PC, pads and bonnets. We also have an entire line of products to keep your vehicle looking great. The PC is very user friendly. You will feel comfortable with it in no time. Post up or PM with any questions you have. Click on the link on the right for all the products>>>>>>>
you have pm
Old 04-17-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Meguiar's Professional Line is some pretty good stuff, and is available in bulk....

Tropicare has some nice stuff in my experience, its about time to order again...

-Rick
Old 04-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Megs #105
Megs #205

then whatever wax you want.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 350f
Megs #105
Megs #205

then whatever wax you want.

While that is a GREAT combo, and works miracles with the KB Method.... I wouldn't recommend it for someone who has no experience yet.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't recommend it for someone who has no experience yet.
and that would be me for sure. i think im going to go #80, Nxt wax, and #26. i wish i had the money for the oher stuff but maybe down the road.

would anybody be able to tell me which pads go with those 3 products from this package?

http://www.tropi-care.com/Porter_Cab..._p/tcpc-10.htm

i really appreciate it...thanks fellas.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

like I said, don't bother with 6.5" pads. They don't offer enough bite with the PC.

Lake Country 5.5" pads. Orange, white, and black is all you need to start.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sent you a PM about the pad questions. Here is a picture of what I was talking about with regards to taping off a section to see the progress. Kind of hard to see with it being in the garage but the difference in the shades of blue was huge.

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
and that would be me for sure. i think im going to go #80, Nxt wax, and #26. i wish i had the money for the oher stuff but maybe down the road.

would anybody be able to tell me which pads go with those 3 products from this package?

http://www.tropi-care.com/Porter_Cab..._p/tcpc-10.htm

i really appreciate it...thanks fellas.
Attached Thumbnails Meguiar's vs. Porter Cable Buffer-dsc03352.jpg  
Old 04-17-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you interested in buying the rest of my Tropi-care products? I'll sell the whole kit for 55 shipped. Total with shipping through Tropi-Care.com would be 94.92.
Here they are as follows, with percentage left and retail price at Tropi-Care.com:

TC-6 Premium Car Wash (80% Full)(8.95)
TC-3 Polish/Sealant XP (80% Full)(13.95)
TC-5 Premium Detail Spray (80% Full)(7.95)
TC-8 Swirl Cutter (60% Full)(19.95)
TC Carnuba Paste Wax (95% Full)(34.99)

Quick Reply: Meguiar's vs. Porter Cable Buffer