Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My $45 6LE Splitter and ZR1s are finally on

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread IS NOT about if the splitter works or not. If you have some kind of bizarre issue on how this thing works, or if it does, whatever, PM 6LE.

As for being rude 2001SSTX, and trolling this thread, I ought to give your *** a vacation. If you have general concerns and want information, take it up with 6le personally, not in our member's threads. Don't be a jackass in public, especially if your the new kid.

kthxbai
Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's a pretty interesting "tech article" on splitters:
http://www.aprperformance.com/index....=174&Itemid=44

What we want to have is lower pressure, faster-moving air below the car, and higher pressure, slower moving air above the car. The lower pressure side, when it happends to be under the car, contributes to reduced lift. When the lift is reduced sufficiently to the point where there is negative lift, then there is net positive downforce. The splitter (or air dam) itself does not actually create downforce. What the splitter does is that it increases the area over which high pressure can build up. The more high pressure there is above the splitter, the greater the net downforce there is.
i think the video posted above is the best explanation though
Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Looks good man. Splitters are simple physics, 14.7psi on all surfaces from all angles, lower that pressure from one surface and the force from the opposing side will push down (or up, left, right, depending) against it.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like i missed quite the comment war
Old 05-07-2009, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
This thread IS NOT about if the splitter works or not. If you have some kind of bizarre issue on how this thing works, or if it does, whatever, PM 6LE.

As for being rude 2001SSTX, and trolling this thread, I ought to give your *** a vacation. If you have general concerns and want information, take it up with 6le personally, not in our member's threads. Don't be a jackass in public, especially if your the new kid.

kthxbai
If you think I was trolling or being a jackass, then you're an idiot. I merely stated that I did not like the way they looked, and inquired about the function of them. I am entitled to my own opinion, just like everyone else. Sorry, that I won't put up the useless "looks good" like everyone else does, instead I put up my own questions and thoughts..

Go ahead and "give me a vacation". This will only prove how close minded you are.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Banned

I think this got carried away quick, I never saw 2001SSTX's comments as abusive, just uninformed so information was presented...
Old 05-07-2009, 12:41 AM
TECH Veteran

seriously. i started this thread because to my knowledge there is only 1 other LT1 bird with a splitter on here. and his is sticking out, i wanted to show the stealth look
Old 05-07-2009, 03:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
seriously. i started this thread because to my knowledge there is only 1 other LT1 bird with a splitter on here. and his is sticking out, i wanted to show the stealth look
Officer Martinez has one but I don't think it is on yet... Green Dragon's didn't fit his car, so yeah, so far 1 of 2 but one was just picked up tonight
Old 05-07-2009, 04:54 AM
TECH Veteran

ive already gotten a lot of compliments on the splitter. i cant wait to get the side splitters/canards on
Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Sorry but you don't understand how a splitter works... It is not scooping the air to create down force, there is no added force to the bumper.

It splits the air SPEEDING THE AIR UP under the car so due to pressure zones it creates down force on top of the car. Here's a video I made (as a joke but the physics are real)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk15OKB7qAs

Also, this splitter has WAY more support than ANY Corvette splitter. They have 1.5' of bolt room, we have 3'. The "supports" you refer to are not supports. Those are called canards and they direct air around the tires to get rid of rolling resistance (I make those now as well).
I fully understand how a splitter works and yes there is added force to the bumper. Do you have any actual research to show added downforce other than taking the car to 150mph (on a closed track I'm sure) and the car "didn't shake anymore". Now that's what I call scientific proof! Maybe you used a strain gauge to measure the forces to the bumper but I would highly doubt it. I would guarantee you that GM engineers did.

I am not denying the splitter concept or that possibly what you have works...my point is there are extreme forces at those speeds and our bumpers aren't designed to have crap tacked onto them.

Have you actually even examined a C6 Z06 or ZR1? The length of your mounting bolts don't have a single thing to do with strength of fastening. I can have a bolt that barely makes it through the hole which is just as good of a fastener as a 1 foot bolt.

The bumpers for those cars are much better reinforced and designed by an engineer in a wind tunnel to handle the forces on it (not to mention tested for strain on the actual bumper itself). The ZR1 splitter has additional bracing INSIDE the front bumper. Maybe you should take a look at that. The way a f-body bumper is curved and the way your product attaches you will have extra force on the splitter. This isn't a Corvette that has a flat front where the splitter attaches.

I am not knocking your product, I am just saying the bumpers on these cars aren't designed to handle these forces and you won't see one hanging off of the front bumper on my f-body.

I've got an extra splitter for our 07 Z06 in the garage if we need to examine how they are attached further. However, I don't think how they are attached is the issue I was concerned with. The issue I am concerned with is the F-body front bumper and the stress that it wasn't designed for.

Kudos to you for doing your research and coming up with a product for these cars however I do think it should be examined that there maybe not catostrophic bumper failure but a weakening of the bumper and associated issues with that.

Last edited by JamRWS6; 05-07-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001SSTX
If you think I was trolling or being a jackass, then you're an idiot. I merely stated that I did not like the way they looked, and inquired about the function of them. I am entitled to my own opinion, just like everyone else. Sorry, that I won't put up the useless "looks good" like everyone else does, instead I put up my own questions and thoughts..

Go ahead and "give me a vacation". This will only prove how close minded you are.
Wrong. You expressed your disinterest then proceeded to bash the product by means of over exaggerated questioning.

I never said you couldn't express your opinion. You just did it in an obnoxious manner.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
I fully understand how a splitter works and yes there is added force to the bumper. Do you have any actual research to show added downforce other than taking the car to 150mph (on a closed track I'm sure) and the car "didn't shake anymore". Now that's what I call scientific proof! Maybe you used a strain gauge to measure the forces to the bumper but I would highly doubt it. I would guarantee you that GM engineers did.

I am not denying the splitter concept or that possibly what you have works...my point is there are extreme forces at those speeds and our bumpers aren't designed to have crap tacked onto them.

Have you actually even examined a C6 Z06 or ZR1? The length of your mounting bolts don't have a single thing to do with strength of fastening. I can have a bolt that barely makes it through the hole which is just as good of a fastener as a 1 foot bolt.

The bumpers for those cars are much better reinforced and designed by an engineer in a wind tunnel to handle the forces on it (not to mention tested for strain on the actual bumper itself). The ZR1 splitter has additional bracing INSIDE the front bumper. Maybe you should take a look at that. The way a f-body bumper is curved and the way your product attaches you will have extra force on the splitter. This isn't a Corvette that has a flat front where the splitter attaches.

I am not knocking your product, I am just saying the bumpers on these cars aren't designed to handle these forces and you won't see one hanging off of the front bumper on my f-body.

I've got an extra splitter for our 07 Z06 in the garage if we need to examine how they are attached further. However, I don't think how they are attached is the issue I was concerned with. The issue I am concerned with is the F-body front bumper and the stress that it wasn't designed for.

Kudos to you for doing your research and coming up with a product for these cars however I do think it should be examined that there maybe not catostrophic bumper failure but a weakening of the bumper and associated issues with that.
Man, you SOOOOO have no clue what you're talking about... The MAIN THING against your argument is this...

IT ONLY ATTACHED TO THE BUMPER WITH THREE OF THE 11 BOLTS, The other 8 go to inner supports, not on the actual bumper.

Besides that, it was a closed track in Vegas. Not sure how you're supposed to "measure" the difference between, "it shook like crazy" and "it didn't shake at all" but...

Anyways, if you SERIOUSLY think this thing is scooping air and is going to rip a bumper off the daily driven cars it goes on then don't buy it.

Mine is going on a year with no bumper sag let alone "catastrophic failure".

GTO splitters bolt ONLY to the bumper COVER and have never had a problem...

Countless import guys throw them on even smaller areas with less support and haven't had a problem...

Finally, you say you won't see one of them hanging off the front of an F-Body? Spend 30 seconds over at www.fraxx.com (I think that is it). These guys have run splitters on their F-Bodies since 1993 and are doing fine...
Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Wrong. You expressed your disinterest then proceeded to bash the product by means of over exaggerated questioning.

I never said you couldn't express your opinion. You just did it in an obnoxious manner.
And erasing my post isn't obnoxious? Seems like by erasing my post, you are saying, that "I can't express my opinions".

I think this got carried away quick, I never saw 2001SSTX's comments as abusive, just uninformed so information was presented...
6LE even said he didn't see my comments as abusive, and he was the one so called "being attacked". All I wanted was information or proof that this actually works.

Some mod you are. Seems like you're over-stepping your boundaries.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Man, you SOOOOO have no clue what you're talking about... The MAIN THING against your argument is this...

IT ONLY ATTACHED TO THE BUMPER WITH THREE OF THE 11 BOLTS, The other 8 go to inner supports, not on the actual bumper.

Besides that, it was a closed track in Vegas. Not sure how you're supposed to "measure" the difference between, "it shook like crazy" and "it didn't shake at all" but...

Anyways, if you SERIOUSLY think this thing is scooping air and is going to rip a bumper off the daily driven cars it goes on then don't buy it.

Mine is going on a year with no bumper sag let alone "catastrophic failure".

GTO splitters bolt ONLY to the bumper COVER and have never had a problem...

Countless import guys throw them on even smaller areas with less support and haven't had a problem...

Finally, you say you won't see one of them hanging off the front of an F-Body? Spend 30 seconds over at www.fraxx.com (I think that is it). These guys have run splitters on their F-Bodies since 1993 and are doing fine...
It is clear you didn't read my comments carefully. My comments toward failure weren't relating to catosrophic failure.

So we can associate you w/ the Civic guys w/ all of their body parts sagging and falling off of the car?

A GTO isn't a F-body is it?

So what inner structure are you actually bolting to? Care to show some up close pictures? I hardly think that using this picture of your splitter you are attaching to anything structural. It looks as though it follows the undertray attaching points along the front of the bumper.

Seriously dude I am not attacking you but you have no evidence or test data for your claims other that the car doesn't shake anymore. That doesn't necessarily have anything to do w/ lift or lack of downforce. There is a lot more to a splitter than your paper example as the front of a car isn't the width of a piece of paper.

I think you should think of more academic terms to make a discussion other than "dude you don't know what you're talking about".

Quick Reply: My $45 6LE Splitter and ZR1s are finally on