Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Project -- CF dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:
I went out and got some air dry modeling clay. I concluded that I was an idiot not to do it from the start. Bondo works wonders retaining parts together, buts its far from ideal when working with with smooth curved surfaces.
There is finally some presentable areas on the dash. I like...

Extra supplies were all purchased at Michael's Art and Crafts.
Two brushes -- $1.08
Two 4lb boxes of modeling clay -- $12.98
Bringing the total project cost to $105.45

Old 05-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Update
I am almost done with one bag of clay. I am liking the way it is turning out. I am going let it dry overnight at try to sand it down a little tomorrow. I will not have much time to devote to this project, however, I may be able to get the plastic cover that goes around the gauge cluster, and work that baby into the mold. I am a bit nervous to see how my clay is going to hold. The areas that have bondo help it grab, but I laid it down on some straight vinyl. Its going to be a dramatic success or miserable failure, making me apply the layer of bondo on all surfaces.
Well here are the fruits of my labor for your viewing pleasure.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 344 Likes on 258 Posts

interesting
Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Launching!

looking really good so far
Old 05-12-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribing...
it looks good now. nothing that i would attempt but nice
Old 05-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

My plan with modeling clay has backfired. It did not bond to anything. When I checked it in the morning it was fine, dryer but still solid. When I came back from work it was utter crap. It took me two hours to clean it up. I sanded the surfaces down and applied some resin. Than laid some fiber glass and more resin, repeat the process... I really need some heavier fiber material, so I ask the public if anybody knows composite suppliers in DFW area.
I am also taking pointers on applying bondo.

I still haven't got the plastic gauge trim. I'll try to get it tomorrow. I will also close the radio / climate control for better final mold, and I'll try to finish the passenger side which means closing glove box and airbag cover. I still need to trim the rear brackets, and cutout the gauge cluster tub. After that is gonna get really exciting, resin, fiberglass, sanding, repeat many, many times.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

I just would not use the bondo all together. When I did my attempt (gave up, to much work) I did the following:

Sprayed 3m spray adhesive to the plastic part
Laid down carbon fiber cloth (in your case fiberglass cloth) over the sprayed aread
Applied clear epoxy resin in several layers over the top
Sanded with 80 grit all the way up to 1500 grit to make it high gloss

*mine was all for appearances and i just made a veneer covering to give it the carbon fiber cloth. If I were you, I would just spend the $279 on the fiberglass dash from vfnfiberglass.com to use as the base mold for the final carbon fiber product.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

The angle looks similar to a Supra's dash.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

You cant mold in the clip that goes over the gauges, how are you going to get gauges in or out? What if something burns out in the future? You want to take out your entire dash to take out your gauges cluster? Even still, i dont think you could get to them properly because you cant take out the cluster past the clip. Maybe cut off the headlight switch areas like a camaro?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by evilZO6
You cant mold in the clip that goes over the gauges, how are you going to get gauges in or out? What if something burns out in the future? You want to take out your entire dash to take out your gauges cluster? Even still, i dont think you could get to them properly because you cant take out the cluster past the clip. Maybe cut off the headlight switch areas like a camaro?
Gauges are going to be mounted on independent flat piece of CF, attached by couple of screws to the dash, makes for easy removal and installation. I am am planning of going to aftermarket gauges, however I will fabricate a little trim piece that will wrap around the stock cluster, to give it a clean look, if somebody would want to use it in that.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dvk678
Gauges are going to be mounted on independent flat piece of CF, attached by couple of screws to the dash, makes for easy removal and installation. I am am planning of going to aftermarket gauges, however I will fabricate a little trim piece that will wrap around the stock cluster, to give it a clean look, if somebody would want to use it in that.
Thats really cool, honestly i think that will look great. BUT. If you decided to make these and sell them, then people are only going to buy them if they have 100% custom gauges. If you want to make money off of this, make the first one OEM style. After youve had it replicated/duplicated/produced, go back and modify it to your own personal taste and then also offer the guage set up as a separate package.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by evilZO6
Thats really cool, honestly i think that will look great. BUT. If you decided to make these and sell them, then people are only going to buy them if they have 100% custom gauges. If you want to make money off of this, make the first one OEM style. After youve had it replicated/duplicated/produced, go back and modify it to your own personal taste and then also offer the guage set up as a separate package.
Dont worry, I'll get it to the stock-cluster-compatible state.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

get the green bondo, it has little fiberglass strands in it, really good for flex
Old 05-13-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

i just wanted to say this is a bad *** project, and ive been keeping up with it through the process. Subscribed
Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlaalu
get the green bondo, it has little fiberglass strands in it, really good for flex
Kitty Hair or Gorilla Hair.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

WHAT? BONDO with fiberglass. You can't do that! JK
Na, the stuff I got works fine. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

I ran out of fiberglass cloth and resin, so I hit up Home Depot, and got some provisions.
Two mixing trays --$1.19 ea
One disposable razor -- $0.98
Two fiberglass cloths -- $6.97 ea
One big can of resin -- $35.97
Moving the total project cost to $163.11

I cut off the brackets, closed airbag box and laid a few layers of fiberglass. Nothing fancy, just the basics. I am also try a new approach with modeling clay. I used it to fill the air bag opening and covered it up with FG before it dried. I'll see how it turns out tomorrow.
I still don't have the gauge trim but I think I'll be able to get it tomorrow as well. If all goes well I should be done with the main plug by the end of the upcoming weekend. I'll have to order a few supplies, such as quality fiberglass and resin, mold clay, releasing wax, etc. Over all I am expecting to complete this project by mid June, if all goes well that is.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

UPDATE TIME!
Ladies and gentlemen, the project is still alive and kicking. I didn't post an update yesterday because I didn't work on this thing yesterday, except acquiring the gauge bezel First -- the resin I laid on Wednesday still didn't dry. Apparently I mixed bad batch that day. Fixed the problem with the second batch with extra harder in it layered on top of the last one. Worked great.
I finished cutting out the gauge cluster tub, and trimmed the bezel a little. Tomorrow I'll bond the bezel to the dash.
I did a little sanding, until I ran out of the sand paper... I was using 80 grit paper, but I am going to go more aggressive with 50 grit or lower on the next purchase.
My vent hoses also came in today. Made by Lambo Industries I got two 3 x 8 hoses for 11 bucks and change -- shipped. They are pretty light (0.8lb ea), and I think will do the job just fine. I dont need all 8", so its gonna be lighter than a 1.2lb in the end.
I also stared the process of closing down the radio opening.
Still need to close glove box and fuse box. Don't freak out, I'll cut them out when I get the mold done, except the fuse box, that baby is going into what was an airbag box.
I ordered some modeling clay that doesn't suck , this will save me a crap load of headache when I am smoothing everything out. Oh yea, and some fiberglass, 50' x 24" of 8.2 oz. fiber cloth.
A good buddy of mine is providing me with some composite stuff next Tuesday. I'll get some carbon fiber, fiberglass crap load of resin, bagging material, tape and a pump. All for free! Its gonna a fiesta!
I do officially move the completion of this plug to next weekend. I need that clay to finish everything.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Resin, fiberglass matt, or kitty hair is really your best options. Bondo really only needs to be used for very slight imperfections. If you take your time it will look great. I would recommend that you put it back in the car some time to make sure its going to look/fit right with everything else.

Here's a console I altered for a Quarter Stick: http://trepics.shutterfly.com/344
Old 05-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Really nice work. I like the idea of putting the gauge on it. Mind if I borrow it?
Old 05-16-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting...

It's nice when people post their custom mods, they describe what also didn't work, so others can SEE what didn't work.

Keep on it!

Quick Reply: Project -- CF dash