Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why can't anything in life go right....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why can't anything in life go right....

I just had my car dropped off at my buddys to have the valence painted and have him put on the CME tip. I figured no problem since my car has the factory dual/dual exhaust. So my buddy calls me and says the tip doesn't really wanna go on.

At this point I'll interrupt with a question: What does the factory SLP muffler look like?

Now back to the problem....So we put it on a lift and get looking and the muffler looks like a flowmaster muffler, the drivers side pipe out of the muffler has a nasty cob job of a weld with some sort of adapter holding it to the muffler. The the pipe curves around but is angled in towards the center of the car.

The passengers side is fine. No ugly welds and the pipe comes out, turns towards the rear and comes out straight.

The other problem/question is how big is the stock tail pipe diameter supposed to be? The tailpipes that are on it are too small to fit snug inside the CME elbows and I'm afraid my band clamps I got aren't gonna be able to crimp down tight.

Why the hell is my exhaust all cobbed together?! I'm really at a loss as to why somebody would cob it together like this. So now I have to figure out a way to straighten the drivers side pipe so the CME will be lined up right.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about. It's almost like the original owner took the CME muffler off, put a Flowmaster on there and re-cobbed the tailpipes to the muffler.

Then, as an added bonus my buddy points out a few different spots on my car hood, spoiler and door that are starting to do the same thing as my sail panel.....which by the way is getting worse. ****
Old 05-09-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The joy of buying used cars The SLP muffler is stainless and usually has a bronze tint to it. Pics would help. Sounds like you would be better off having a new pipe made for that side.

Here is a pic of one>> https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...off-98-ss.html

Last edited by litemup02; 05-09-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I definitely don't have the Dual/Dual muffler then because it doesn't look like that. Honestly I think it's a Flowmaster 80 series. Why the **** can't people leave **** alone.

Now the problem is gonna be finding a shop that does decent exhaust work. Only place around here is like Cole Muffler and stuff and they have some characters there. I wouldn't trust them with my lawn mower let alone my car.