Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Alum Polishing help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default the eastwoodcompany

the eastwood company will have all your polishing needs they also have a forum with q&a other ppl work and you'll learn alot there and they really have ton's of polishing products.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Launching!

I'm getting some goodies from Eastwood today!!! What kind of polishing rag should I be using?? I used a Mirco fiber towel but it also scrached the alum. Maybe a diaper?

Bill
Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned

Hmm.. kinda odd that microfiber scratched the work.

I've always used the ones sold in bags of 10 or the roll of 3 at Autozone.

As a side note, the buffs I linked from Eastwood have to be broken in. It takes about 10-15 minutes and a little heat before they act right. They'll probably make already polished work look worse untill they're broken in, and you make a few passes to get everything right. Once a buff is broken in they last a long time. I did the entire engine in my sig with only 3 buffs, one tube of tripoli, and 1.5 small tubes of Simichrome. Countless sanding rolls/paper though.. And beer.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
Hmm.. kinda odd that microfiber scratched the work.

I've always used the ones sold in bags of 10 or the roll of 3 at Autozone.

As a side note, the buffs I linked from Eastwood have to be broken in. It takes about 10-15 minutes and a little heat before they act right. They'll probably make already polished work look worse untill they're broken in, and you make a few passes to get everything right. Once a buff is broken in they last a long time. I did the entire engine in my sig with only 3 buffs, one tube of tripoli, and 1.5 small tubes of Simichrome. Countless sanding rolls/paper though.. And beer.
I did get the buffs last night and tried them.......I am impressed, the alum buffed nice and I used Mothers Alum polish. I did get a nice shine and it looks like all the scratches are gone. I am waiting on the Semichrome, should be here today (I hope).

Again thanks for your help.....I'm moving in the right direction now
Bill
Old 05-20-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Blue
I did get the buffs last night and tried them.......I am impressed, the alum buffed nice and I used Mothers Alum polish. I did get a nice shine and it looks like all the scratches are gone. I am waiting on the Semichrome, should be here today (I hope).

Again thanks for your help.....I'm moving in the right direction now
Bill
You will like the SemiChrome. If the base polish is good, the final you do with SemiChrome will look almost like chrome.

If you are familiar with Big Dog motorcyles - it is the polish they use and recommend. It's good stuff.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
You will like the SemiChrome. If the base polish is good, the final you do with SemiChrome will look almost like chrome.

If you are familiar with Big Dog motorcyles - it is the polish they use and recommend. It's good stuff.
Just got a delivery!!!!!!!!!!!

Now get to play when I get home, I'll let you all know the outcome!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Post pics when your done!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by luckyou03
Post pics when your done!
Kinda of hard to take pics....

Old 05-26-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your craftmanship is out of this world. With that much work in it you should just have those pieces chromed and they will be perfect and basicaly maintance free. Since they are clean and already polished the prep work would be very little so you should be able to have it all done for $300-$500.

Make me a set and I will pay to have both sets done!!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Your craftmanship is out of this world. With that much work in it you should just have those pieces chromed and they will be perfect and basicaly maintance free. Since they are clean and already polished the prep work would be very little so you should be able to have it all done for $300-$500.

Make me a set and I will pay to have both sets done!!!!
Do you really think I can get them chromed for $500.00 or less?? That would be a deal if you ask me!!!

I have all ready started on yours...........or not!

Bill
Old 05-26-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Do you really think I can get them chromed for $500.00 or less?? That would be a deal if you ask me!!!

I have all ready started on yours...........or not!

Bill

Yeah, I would say around $500...maybe a little more but it shouldnt be much. The MAJOR expense with having pieces chromed is the labor for prep work and being your parts are cleaned and polished already that part would be very minor. To give an expamle MBA pieces are cheap to have chromed because they are so easy to prep. I had a full set of caps and brake fluid resv chromed for $100.

Contact S&H Chrome (615) 865-0100 and tell them what you have and ask for estimated price (you can even send them pics.) They aren't the cheapest around but they do TRUE show quality or better work. Be sure to tell them Robbie Lewis with the Orange TA gave you their number!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Yeah, I would say around $500...maybe a little more but it shouldnt be much. The MAJOR expense with having pieces chromed is the labor for prep work and being your parts are cleaned and polished already that part would be very minor. To give an expamle MBA pieces are cheap to have chromed because they are so easy to prep. I had a full set of caps and brake fluid resv chromed for $100.

Contact S&H Chrome (615) 865-0100 and tell them what you have and ask for estimated price (you can even send them pics.) They aren't the cheapest around but they do TRUE show quality or better work. Be sure to tell them Robbie Lewis with the Orange TA gave you their number!
Thanks Robbie, I will call them and see what they say and I'll let you know!! Soo if I do this will I owe you

Bill
Old 05-26-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Since most of the pieces are flat surfaces and easily reached in the engine bay, personally I would just stick with a periodic touchup with SemiChrome.

The throttle body - that's not so easy. I would Chrome-paint it instead.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Robbie, I will call them and see what they say and I'll let you know!! Soo if I do this will I owe you

Bill
I think I helped build the new wing there at the chrome shop...they are naming it after me!!!!! Just keep me in mind for a PS resv cover like yours if you ever get time to build one...I need one BAD!!!! The other stuff is great and can stay unique to your car...but I NEED a QUALITY PS resv cover for mine!!!!

(I have been PMed 5 or 6 times with links to the one they sell on ebay....no offense but thats not what I am looking for!)
Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing this thread back up...

What is the coating that is on the valve covers and other aluminum parts? Is it powdercoat or anodizing or what? What's the easiest, safest way to remove it?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
Bringing this thread back up...

What is the coating that is on the valve covers and other aluminum parts? Is it powdercoat or anodizing or what? What's the easiest, safest way to remove it?
Looks like powdercoat, easiest way to is to strip it with gel paint stripper from hardware stores. 5 minutes and and all the paint/powdercoat will just wash off.

Here is in action stripping clear coat on a set of wheels.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhh, okay. I've got a 73 impala I'm restoring and it's aluminum is anodized which is removed easily with lye. Thanks for the help man!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Anybody used Wenol? I bought some from a pitchman at a car show years ago. The red and the blue. The stuff was awsome. I wen't crasy polishing stuff!! Can't find any around here though.

Quick Reply: Alum Polishing help