Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacement carpet!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacement carpet!

Ok, before I even start, I searched and looked through 20+ threads and couldn't find anything specific to what I need to know.

Alright, my carpet, looks and smells like ***. It's worn and has massive holes. I need to replace it. I saw this place, stockinteriors, they sell a full replacement (passenger+trunk) area carpet.

I was wondering if this is a good place to order from and also whats this "mass backing" and if its good or just added weight? I plan on using SOME sound deadening but not covering everywhere.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just replaced my Carpet this past weekend. Although i didnt use stock interiors, im pretty sure the "mass backing" is the sound deadening that they attach to the carpet.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

I replaced my carpet couple of weeks ago. You are going to have to remove the center console, seats, unbolt the belt mounts, sail panels and the kick panels. You are going to need large Torx set for the belts.

Slide your seats forward and back to expose the nuts. Most cars have them covered with black plastic protectors, you should be able to pop them out with your fingers, or use a larger flathead, this will expose 13mm nuts. Use small philips to unscrew the belt support on the head rest of the seats.
Once all the seats have been unbolted lay there seat on the back and disconnect power source (if you have power seats). Life them out of the car.

The huge plastic plugs that cover the belt bolts will have to come out first. To take them out lift them up with a flat head and get your finger underneath and turn, you'll see what I am talking about. Get a good set of torx, make sure they fit well in the bolt, its not hard to strip them and they torqued pretty securely in there.

Kick panels are held in place by a regular philips screws, be careful when pulling them out is not hard to break the skinny neck that comes up on the side of the dash. Sail panels are attached by one of those Velcro look-alikes. Don't bother with the clothing hooks on the sail panels, they dont hold them to anything. Just pull them out gently.

If you drive an automatic, put your shifter in the fist speed limit (all the way to the back), use a small flat head to extract the retaining clip from the shifter ***. Don't loose it, it sometimes whats to spring right out. After you did that you can lift the shifter *** off the lever. This may take a but of force, but it goes straight up, dont wiggle it side to side.

Pull you parking brake lever as far up as you can, should be about 90 degrees.
unbolt the center console there are a couple of bolts in the storage compartment, and there should be one in the middle right in front of the cup holder, under the panel, and I think one more under the ash tray, but I am not sure about this one. Just lift and pull it to the back and lift it over the parking brake.

Get the back seats out, and detach the back support. Unbolt the belt mounts and and lay the back into the trunk area.

Pull the carpet. Save yourself the struggle and put the strip of carpet that is in front of the shifter (under the dash) with a razor blade. Do the same on the new carpet, it is well hidden under the center console and doesn't offer any real structural support.

If you have rust problem, treat it with Naval Jelly (sold in home depot in the paint section)

Get the new carpet into the car. I went from the back, through the hatch. have a friend help you lift it, while you pull it in. You can do it alone but a buddy helps there. Lay the carpet down and line it up with all the bolts. Dont forget any wires you may be trapping underneath it.
Reverse the process and assemble.

It sounds like a lot of work but I did the whole thing in about 30 minutes.
Good luck.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

you seriously did this whole process in 30 min? you and your friend must have been flyin!
Old 05-12-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dvk678
I replaced my carpet couple of weeks ago. You are going to have to remove the center console, seats, unbolt the belt mounts, sail panels and the kick panels. You are going to need large Torx set for the belts.

Slide your seats forward and back to expose the nuts. Most cars have them covered with black plastic protectors, you should be able to pop them out with your fingers, or use a larger flathead, this will expose 13mm nuts. Use small philips to unscrew the belt support on the head rest of the seats.
Once all the seats have been unbolted lay there seat on the back and disconnect power source (if you have power seats). Life them out of the car.

The huge plastic plugs that cover the belt bolts will have to come out first. To take them out lift them up with a flat head and get your finger underneath and turn, you'll see what I am talking about. Get a good set of torx, make sure they fit well in the bolt, its not hard to strip them and they torqued pretty securely in there.

Kick panels are held in place by a regular philips screws, be careful when pulling them out is not hard to break the skinny neck that comes up on the side of the dash. Sail panels are attached by one of those Velcro look-alikes. Don't bother with the clothing hooks on the sail panels, they dont hold them to anything. Just pull them out gently.

If you drive an automatic, put your shifter in the fist speed limit (all the way to the back), use a small flat head to extract the retaining clip from the shifter ***. Don't loose it, it sometimes whats to spring right out. After you did that you can lift the shifter *** off the lever. This may take a but of force, but it goes straight up, dont wiggle it side to side.

Pull you parking brake lever as far up as you can, should be about 90 degrees.
unbolt the center console there are a couple of bolts in the storage compartment, and there should be one in the middle right in front of the cup holder, under the panel, and I think one more under the ash tray, but I am not sure about this one. Just lift and pull it to the back and lift it over the parking brake.

Get the back seats out, and detach the back support. Unbolt the belt mounts and and lay the back into the trunk area.

Pull the carpet. Save yourself the struggle and put the strip of carpet that is in front of the shifter (under the dash) with a razor blade. Do the same on the new carpet, it is well hidden under the center console and doesn't offer any real structural support.

If you have rust problem, treat it with Naval Jelly (sold in home depot in the paint section)

Get the new carpet into the car. I went from the back, through the hatch. have a friend help you lift it, while you pull it in. You can do it alone but a buddy helps there. Lay the carpet down and line it up with all the bolts. Dont forget any wires you may be trapping underneath it.
Reverse the process and assemble.

It sounds like a lot of work but I did the whole thing in about 30 minutes.
Good luck.
These are great instructions! You forgot to tell him to not hit himself in the forehead or hit his rear view mirror when the shift **** finally lets go and comes off though.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brangeta
These are great instructions! You forgot to tell him to not hit himself in the forehead or hit his rear view mirror when the shift **** finally lets go and comes off though.
I want for it to be a surprise.

Originally Posted by 69lemansguy
you seriously did this whole process in 30 min? you and your friend must have been flyin!
I did it alone, friend helped me get the carpet in. Its easier than it looks.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

i did all mine in about 4 hrs, but i did it all by myself, and i did a seat swap, gauge cluster bezel swap, completly removed the seatbelts from the back, and swaped out the front belts for black belts. Also had never done it before.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dvk678
I want for it to be a surprise.
Good point. There's nothing quite as funny as punching yourself in the face!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i did all mine in about 4 hrs, but i did it all by myself, and i did a seat swap, gauge cluster bezel swap, completly removed the seatbelts from the back, and swaped out the front belts for black belts. Also had never done it before.
yeah, i did mine by myself, nonstop and it took just a little over 3 hrs..
Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just replaced my Carpet this past weekend. Although i didnt use stock interiors, im pretty sure the "mass backing" is the sound deadening that they attach to the carpet.
Where'd you get yours?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Speed inc if im not mistaken...
Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Any before and after pics?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

i have a few pics of my interior, but of course i forgot to take pics when i actually did the swap, ill see if i can take some new pics this week an d post up.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

That would be sweet man, I really want to go from the garker gray carpet to black and I wanted to get a feel of what the carpet would look like new
Old 05-12-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you're going to go with a non-stock color, go the extra mile and get the ultraluxe (or whatever they call the better carpet) from stockinteriors. They've sent me samples over the years and man... it is so much better. I would never put the standard carpet in compared to that stuff if I was replacing my carpet.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ultra plush? I don't think I'd want to spend an extra 100 bucks, this is pretty much an added cost anyway, I'm wrapping most of my interior because it has some bad scratches I've noticed and the carpet has a big hole in it under the drivers mat.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, is ebony or black a better match for interior panels in our cars?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

^^^ depends on what color your car came with. black/ebony are the same thing. the grey color is charcoal. my '98 has the charcoal/grey interior. But i put in a black carpet with black firehawk seats. Since no one ever sit in my rear seats, im just going to dye them black until i can make a rear seat delete. Im going to eventually try and paint the plastics, and see how it turns out. If they chip and start to look like crap in a few months, then ill just buy ebony interior plastics. The only issue ive had with my carpet is that it doesnt go into the storage area enough. there is a 2 inch gap all the way accross the back, so im trynig to figure otu what i can do to remedy the problem.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Ebony is IMO, I think it is the best looking color the Camaro interiors came
Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

i agree, grey or "charcoal" is just so boring. its makes the car bland, and plain. Having the black carpet and seats in there has changed the look of the whole interior. and even with some grey peices still in there, they dont look bad, its like a 2 tone setup inside. i do want to go all black though.

Quick Reply: Replacement carpet!