Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tropi-Care'd my Z28, pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Tropi-Care'd my Z28, pics

Well let me start by saying that I have been a "Zaino-holic" for nearly ten years now. I recently started doing some detailing work from my garage part-time and I'm always trying out new stuff. Been looking around at the offerings from LS1Tech sponsor Tropi-Care and decided to give their products a try. Spoke with Steve from T-C on the phone to order a Flex polisher package, and was really impressed by his enthusiasm for the hobby and of course the excellent service. Anyway, onto the detail:

My car is a 2002 Camaro Z28. The exterior is by no means perfect, and I don't really try hard to make it so. It's got nearly 65,000 miles and has seen almost every state East of the Mississippi. All those scars have a story behind them

I started the day with a "dish detergent" wash, which I generally do once per year, to remove all the grime and strip down any Zaino that was still applied. While washing I spot clayed the car, especially the major Camaro problem areas like the rear bumper and along the sides of the doors. Used a "waffle weave" microfiber drying towel from Tropi-Care for the first time today and was very happy with it. After drying I tackled some of the rough spots I had (like my front and rear bumper and my roof panel) with a Porter-Cable / yellow 4" CCS foam pad / Menzerna Super Intensive Polish combo. Tropi-Care xP sealant was applied and removed via hand to the body and wheels, and TC-2 carnauba to the black roof panel and vinyl graphics. Tires and plastic grill got coated with Adam's VRT dressing.

Although the pics are kind of anti-climactic (I'm not a great picture-taker and I've got a cheap camera ), I'm really happy with the results from the Tropi-Care products. Very easy to apply and remove, and like most quality sealants "a little goes a long way." I'll be anxious to compare durability to the "other guys"

Old 05-13-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks really good, Steve is one of the best people to order from. I have ordered alot of products from him and funny thing is I am looking for a post from him so I can send him a PM! Keep up the good work!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookin' good mah' man!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

looks clean as hell man! how long did it take you from start to finish?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BLU BIRD
looks clean as hell man! how long did it take you from start to finish?
I started around 10 am and wrapped up around 5 pm. Only stopped to walk the dog (twice LOL). I was actually expecting to have a lot more time into it, it hadn't been touched in several months and a few thousand miles! It really helps to have the right tools for the job and a plan of attack
Old 05-13-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Looks good.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Glad you like the initial performance of the FLEX and products so far. Wait until you see the FLEX's correction ability on some more neglected surfaces.

Feel free to contact me with questions anytime.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

FYI a detergent soap wash doesn't remove Zaino. A nice alcohol bath will though.

The tropi-care stuff is pretty good and really friendly to use. Your car came out great.

Let us know your thoughts on durability. That was my main reason for going back to Zaino.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

looks good steve havent seen you or it in person but nice! this will be my second go around with the TC stuff but now i got the SIP to try out. Steve is a great guy and really knowledgable to talk to.
Go Streetlethal Go
LOL
hit me up some time, ltr
Old 05-14-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

JamR, what kind of durability did you get from Tropi-Care? Is your car garaged? A daily driver? At this point I'm willing to trade a little durability for shine. Also Zaino seems like it's been taking more effort to apply/remove, whereas T-C's xP was very easy to use.

I've been told that dish soap doesn't strip Zaino or other sealants but I don't know if I really believe that It's always seemed to give me good results for that purpose. But it's been so long since my last detail I don't think there was much protectant left honestly!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ramairjohn2000
looks good steve havent seen you or it in person but nice! this will be my second go around with the TC stuff but now i got the SIP to try out. Steve is a great guy and really knowledgable to talk to.
Go Streetlethal Go
LOL
hit me up some time, ltr
Hey John!

Hopefully you can make that Shady Maple meet at the end of this month. It's gonna be cool to have the two groups together again!

I really like Menzerna Super Intensive Polish; it can handle everything you throw at it, and it finishes up very clean. I think you've got to be using a machine polisher to get the full result out of it though. Everybody on the forum is complaining about their black cars
Old 05-14-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

good job! I have a cart open for $350 worth of Tropi-Care products, just waiting to get my hood painted before I submit the order.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PSU 98
JamR, what kind of durability did you get from Tropi-Care? Is your car garaged? A daily driver? At this point I'm willing to trade a little durability for shine. Also Zaino seems like it's been taking more effort to apply/remove, whereas T-C's xP was very easy to use.

I've been told that dish soap doesn't strip Zaino or other sealants but I don't know if I really believe that It's always seemed to give me good results for that purpose. But it's been so long since my last detail I don't think there was much protectant left honestly!
Car is garaged in the evenings and at the time sat in the sun during the day. Tropicare is easier to use but I didn't see any shine improvement. On my car Z5 w/ Z8 has been the best combo short of P21S for depth and shine. I can easily get away w/ doing a Zaino application every 6 months. Tropicare was about half that for me. Others may see better results.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Like the ride man! Nice wheels, are you planning on putting drop springs on the car?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Car is garaged in the evenings and at the time sat in the sun during the day. Tropicare is easier to use but I didn't see any shine improvement. On my car Z5 w/ Z8 has been the best combo short of P21S for depth and shine.
I've always preferred Z5, particularly on a dark car. Z8 is definitely great stuff but at almost $20 a bottle I stopped using it.

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
Like the ride man! Nice wheels, are you planning on putting drop springs on the car?
No, between the roads around here and my headers (SLP) a dropped car might be a disaster. I do have a set of 1LE springs to be installed soon though
Old 05-14-2009, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PSU 98
No, between the roads around here and my headers (SLP) a dropped car might be a disaster. I do have a set of 1LE springs to be installed soon though
Probabley a good idea, I have the Eibach Prokit and with my QTP Dual Cutout Y-pipe it is hell with anything in the road !!! Kinda wish I wouldnt have lowered it at times

Quick Reply: Tropi-Care'd my Z28, pics