Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Let's see your VHT jobs.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RAWPWR3
I say go ahead with the 3rd brake light.
Do you have a better shot of the rear with the 3rd brake painted. Kinda hard to decide from that pic
Old 06-09-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hlaalu
do you scuff up the plastic at all before spraying the vht?
Just use 1000 grit and scuff them up, wash them, dry them and paint to your liking
Old 06-09-2009, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey whats up Mr. Luos.

Heres a pic of mine with the lights on Formula. Theres only one type of niteshades, it just depends on how many coats you apply how dark it gets.
That looks great!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry man, i dont have one at the moment. The cars' in the bodyshop now, but im gonna swing by tomorrow morning to see how its going and ill take my camera. What kind of angle would you like to see it from?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
That looks great!!!
Thanks, my buddy took that pic with his d40. It was his first time doing rolling shots. Its changed a little since then, im getting my ram air hood repainted and i lowered it with strano springs and konis. I cant wait till i get her back, im definatley gonna post pics!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks, my buddy took that pic with his d40. It was his first time doing rolling shots. Its changed a little since then, im getting my ram air hood repainted and i lowered it with strano springs and konis. I cant wait till i get her back, im definatley gonna post pics!
Looked great either way!!

I need to get some rolling shots. Hell, I need to go into the mountains with the camera here soon and get a bunch of pics. Been a while.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

i haave done my front corners, side markers, LT1 tail lights, and 3rd brake light. they have all been cleared and cut/buffed as well so they are like glass! wetsanded with 800, then 1000, then 1500. buffed with wool and then foam. look secksiii!

before wetsanded

after cut and buff

plenty of light stil shines through

front corners
Old 06-09-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry man, i dont have one at the moment. The cars' in the bodyshop now, but im gonna swing by tomorrow morning to see how its going and ill take my camera. What kind of angle would you like to see it from?
Something like this maybe... I am jsut wondering if it will look to out of place on my car....

I need to wetsand my 4 side markers

Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
Looked great either way!!

I need to get some rolling shots. Hell, I need to go into the mountains with the camera here soon and get a bunch of pics. Been a while.
Thanks again bro. Ill be looking forward to those, i love your car and you take great pictures.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Something like this maybe... I am jsut wondering if it will look to out of place on my car....

I need to wetsand my 4 side markers
Will do, i think itll go good with your car since you have the whole red and black theme going on.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Alright Torched, i went to the bodyshop this morning and took the pics, but the car looked so terrible i just erased them. They told me they were keeping it inside but its full of leaves and water spots and that milky **** from wetsanding...ewww. I got my work cut out for me when i get it back, and the inside looks like theyre working in a construction site. I sure hope they wash it and at least get some of the heavy stuff out, cause its terrible, the cars' never been so dirty. End rant...anyways, i took some pictures of my CETA which has the same lights tinted, here you go:

And some with the lights on

I have a confession to make... i used the model car tint and rattle can clear so after a year they begin to fade. (The ones on my other car still look like the day i did them though) But my friend let me experiment on his tails using actual paint with clear and reducer mixed in and applied with a gun and they came out great!
Sorry for shitty pics, this was with a 3:1 ratio of black paint, clear, and reducer. It took 11 coats to get it like that, almost black but still very translucent when the lights were on.

So when i redo mine ill be using this method, which should last a long time seeing as its actual automotive paint and clear.
Also, i think i figured out why you were on the fence about doing this to your brake light. Its cause it kind of blends in since youre car is red, and if you paint it it might stand out too much? Thats gonna be a tough call, its up to you. Phew, sorry for the long post lol.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

thank you for all the pics.. Your CETA looks amazing.. Why is the other T/A in the shop..

And as far as my car goes. Still a tough call But i think i will do it..
Old 06-11-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
thank you for all the pics.. Your CETA looks amazing.. Why is the other T/A in the shop..And as far as my car goes. Still a tough call But i think i will do it..
No problem, and thanks. I took those right after i got home from work so its a little dirty. As for my other car, i took it out to go for a little cruise; the first time driving it in like 2 weeks. Some jerk came out of his lane while turning onto the road i was on and hit my pass. side door. I tried to move over but had i gone any further i would have hit the curb as well. It didnt "break" the door, but it took it down to the fiberglass(or whatever it is) in some spots and spider craked the paint in the surrounding area. Also broke the mirror off too. Im also getting my ram air hood repainted cause the clear started to bubble up(should have gone oem), and im having the CETA mod done to the rear bumper as well as repainting it cause of some scratches. When in rome right!

I was very skeptical at first before doing mine, but was very pleased afterwards. If i ever want to put it back to stock, ill just buy some new ones. Good luck how ever you decide to go!

Originally Posted by mook99ta
Nice!
Thanks!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 06-11-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's how mine are now... I put a few coats of VHT but no clear. Light shines through them perfectly but I really want them to be more shiny/reflective. I have 2000 grit sandpaper but I don't have a buffer or anything. What do I need to do to make them shiny? Wet sand, buff, clear coat, polish? Can I buff them somehow without using a buffer? I really have no idea about these things haha.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Just put clear on them, that should make 'em plenty shiney.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

lol ya had those steps way outta worder. sho0uld be VHT, clear, wetsand, buff/polish (buffing is polishing), and then throw some wax on it. if you wetsand it, its gonna take a while to bring the shine all the way back out without a buffer of some sort, i would hate to do it by hand.

they will still be plenty shiney if you dont wetsand and buff them. clear always has "orange peel" when it dries. see how the reflection and surface looks like the skin on an orange, real wavy?

to get rid of this, you wetsand with 1000, then 1500 to remove the scratches created by the 1000. after 1500, use a buffer and polish and bring the shine back. see how the surface is crystal clear and looks like a mirror now? the sanding flattened out the surface of the clear.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry if I missed it in this thread, but what grit are yall wet sanding with?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

1000 followed by 1500 here, pics are in the post above yours! be sure to lay that clear on thick! itd suck to sand or buff through it and hafta backtrack.

Quick Reply: Let's see your VHT jobs.....