Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: Which aftermarket carpet to go with?
auto-interior.com
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Which aftermarket carpet should I go with

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which aftermarket carpet should I go with

The new carpet will be going into a 2002 Trans AM /Firehawk, Black exterior.

The stock interior is the GM Ebony (Dark Grey), and I've always wanted a BLACK interior!

I've searched some and want to buy the carpet from either www.stockinteriors.com or auto-interior.com

They cost about the same and I am not concered about easy of installation, pre-cut holes and such, I just want to go with the one that gives the best quailty and fit!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm going with ozite and no sound deadening, because its lite.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Great timing for this poll!

I'm switching out the carpet in both our cars too ... So I'll be watching this thread
Old 05-21-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had carpet through speed inc - fit like sh*t and ended up throwing it out. Now I have ozite but have not installed it yet.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought some POS carpet off Fleabay. and im pissed. I have to trim the sides... and cut all the holes. Im thinking about just buying another set.

I have been putting off working on it cause i know its gonna be a bitch.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
I bought some POS carpet off Fleabay. and im pissed. I have to trim the sides... and cut all the holes. Im thinking about just buying another set.

I have been putting off working on it cause i know its gonna be a bitch.
All after market carpet is like that. That way you can cut it to fit your car perfect. No 2 cars are alike.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CayenneRedV6
All after market carpet is like that. That way you can cut it to fit your car perfect. No 2 cars are alike.
I heard there was some carpet sets that had holes pre-cut.

Why aren't are cars the same?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard there was some carpet sets that had holes pre-cut.

Why aren't are cars the same?
Say you want to run custom seats with different mounting points. The aftermarket carpet i got for my 69 never came with holes already.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I JUST finish my carpet install like 27 minutes ago. I got ebony from stockinteriors, and the fit was pretty damn good. It weighs a good bit though, I'd say over 50 lbs.

It looks amazing, though.

Also, it's just a large carpet that's molded to the floorboard. It is not cut in ANY way. It's like a rug but made to fit the grooves. You'll be going a HELL of a lot of trimming. My back hurts.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Say you want to run custom seats with different mounting points.
I realize that there will always be special cases. But he said

"No two cars are the same"

Originally Posted by Vicinity
I JUST finish my carpet install like 27 minutes ago. I got ebony from stockinteriors, and the fit was pretty damn good. It weighs a good bit though, I'd say over 50 lbs.

Also, it's just a large carpet that's molded to the floorboard. It is not cut in ANY way. It's like a rug but made to fit the grooves. You'll be going a HELL of a lot of trimming. My back hurts.
I know it'll be worth it when its in...

Once i get started it shouldnt be too hard. but its hard making sure the carpet is centered

But its not fitting that great right now. so I dont wanna start cutting.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I realize that there will always be special cases. But he said

"No two cars are the same"

I know it'll be worth it when its in...

Once i get started it shouldnt be too hard. but its hard making sure the carpet is centered

But its not fitting that great right now. so I dont wanna start cutting.
Best advice I can give you, line it up on a stocker, and try to trim around that.

It will never sit perfectly flat, so don't bother waiting to find a "sweet" spot. I messed up in 2 spots, but I managed to get the carpet to tuck under the interior panels so it looks fine.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Best advice I can give you, line it up on a stocker, and try to trim around that.

It will never sit perfectly flat, so don't bother waiting to find a "sweet" spot. I messed up in 2 spots, but I managed to get the carpet to tuck under the interior panels so it looks fine.

Thanks for the help.

Im gonna do that tomorrow. I really wanna get my interior back together.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for sharing, I am leaning towards stockinteriors myself, any chance you have some pictures of the install to share?

What color did you go with? and how far back in the car does it actually run?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

Go with Auto Custom Carpets(ACC). I deal with them alot. Holes are in correct places and good fit along with a gazillion colors. Special order it without sound deading for weight savings, you'd be suprised on how much that crap weighs.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
Thanks for sharing, I am leaning towards stockinteriors myself, any chance you have some pictures of the install to share?

What color did you go with? and how far back in the car does it actually run?
I got ebony, its a almost exact match with the darkest interior panels (dash, door handles, etc).

I have some pics, but they're on my camera, I'll have to get them later today, but the carpet looks great installed.

Only bad part is making your own holes, though the studs pop right through the carpet, and if you need to make a new hole the old one pretty much reseals and hides itself.

Last thing, a new carpet makes your car smell SO MUCH BETTER! Lol..
Old 05-22-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Go with Auto Custom Carpets(ACC). I deal with them alot. Special order it without sound deading for weight savings, you'd be suprised on how much that crap weighs.
Actually, I want to add sound deading in while I'm doing the new carpet.

I'm debating of using Dynamat along with the new carpet, or if the new carpet alone will be good enough.

I got ebony, its a almost exact match with the darkest interior panels (dash, door handles, etc).

I have some pics, but they're on my camera, I'll have to get them later today, but the carpet looks great installed.
Ebony huh? I've always wanted a Black Interior, and was leaning towards the BLACK color from stockinteriors. Is thier Ebony the same or any darker than the stock GM Ebony 'carpet'?

Also did you use any extra sound deading? If not, how much of a noise reducting was there using just the new carpet?

Thanks a mill for the info!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

perfect timing for this thread. im looking for Graphite carpet for my '95 TA coupe. when you pick up a running car for $1500 you can bet the interior is a little nasty. the carpet needs to go.

do these companies also supply the hatch and cargo area carpet as well, or do i need to look elsewhere for that? the cargo carpet is simply trashed out in this car. i only ask because what i have come across only says they cover the passenger ares, but see nothing about the hatch or cargo areas. thanks!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm debating of using Dynamat along with the new carpet, or if the new carpet alone will be good enough.
I put sound deadening all over the interior.

Im having a problem getting the rear tub (where the t-tops go) tp fot down in there, something to think about,

Ebony huh? I've always wanted a Black Interior, and was leaning towards the BLACK color from stockinteriors. Is thier Ebony the same or any darker than the stock GM Ebony 'carpet'?

Also did you use any extra sound deading? If not, how much of a noise reducting was there using just the new carpet?

Also...

I got black it looks very clean. its worth it
Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got ebony because I didn't want it COMPLETELY black. And its not, but its VERY close, too much for me. But I'm dealing with it. It matches the plastics almost exactly, though.

It's MUCH darker than GM's.

I did use 40 sq ft of edead 80, and it helped A LOT. I highly recommend it. I'm getting some more today because 40 wasn't enough. 40 sqft was only about 20 pounds or so. I'm going to go get the pictures now.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old:

New:

Up close with flash ON:

Take you time cutting. I messed up in the pass foot well, as you can see in the first pic.

Quick Reply: Which aftermarket carpet should I go with