Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Sail Panels

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sail Panels

Does anyone have ideas on how to fix my faded/scratched up sail panels? Can they just be painted?

The ones on my old camaro were like that too, I assume it must be a pretty common problem

Thanks
Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the bubble problem it was an Issue with GM.. If you try and repaint it the problem will just come right back.. you need to replace the entire sail panel which I believe costs about $450 from gmpartsdirect and is a real pain in the *** to remove..

Mine is all screwed up with bubbles, I have not attempted to do anything about it because it seems like such a hassle.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Hmm well mine aren't bubbled, they are just faded and have a bunch of scratches on them, almost like the paint was rubbed away
Old 06-03-2009, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Does it look like the paint could be fixed with some polish? You are talking about the exterior of the car right? lol

If it has some scratches and it's a little faded you might be able to restore it with some polishing and a PC, but I'm not really sure what you're talking about.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Post pictures, doesn't sound like you have the common bubbling issue or common problem with the Sail Panel. But just some bad paint that needs either fixing or repainting.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely depends on the kind of damage you are experiencing - is the clear coat itself peeling, or is it just a little cloudy?

Some paint damage (like the cloudiness) can be taken care of with a good wet-sanding and a machine polisher with some compound.

At the very least, it doesn't sound like you have the paint bubbling issue that many of us (including me) have with that panel.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

somewhat off topic but has anyone ever tried sanding the panel and then just re-applying a clear coat? (if it bubbled)
Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hlaalu
somewhat off topic but has anyone ever tried sanding the panel and then just re-applying a clear coat? (if it bubbled)
Won't work.
Bubbles will be back, as it's not the paint issue.
It's the glue issue.

The original poster needs to share some photos of the actual problem area, ..., I just don't think everyone is talking about the same thing.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by hlaalu
Will not work.
The problem is that GM used a urethane adhesive that emits a gas even after it is dry. Thay also did not prime the underside of the fiberglass factory roof cowl on the car.
The bubbles are the gas seeping through the roof panel, and bubbling the paint from underneath. The bubbles are worse in hotter parts of the country.
I had mine fixed at a body shop for 900+ dollars.

Here is the only fix.
1) A different urethane adhesive.
2) A new material for the Roof panel "non Porous" like rubber bumber material almost.
3) Full perimeter prime, repaint, and clear.

This has worked flawlessly, even though it was expensive.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dragonZ28
Will not work.
The problem is that GM used a urethane adhesive that emits a gas even after it is dry. Thay also did not prime the underside of the fiberglass factory roof cowl on the car.
The bubbles are the gas seeping through the roof panel, and bubbling the paint from underneath. The bubbles are worse in hotter parts of the country.
I had mine fixed at a body shop for 900+ dollars.

Here is the only fix.
1) A different urethane adhesive.
2) A new material for the Roof panel "non Porous" like rubber bumber material almost.
3) Full perimeter prime, repaint, and clear.

This has worked flawlessly, even though it was expensive.

may sound stupid but do you think if someone were to drill small holes in the panel that it would help the gasses emit through them instead of going through the paint?
Old 06-04-2009, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the OP is talking about the tiny triangle pieces directly behind the windows. If Im not mistaken those are just black plastic right or wrong? Mine are getting pretty dinged up as well.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by B.A.T/A2002
may sound stupid but do you think if someone were to drill small holes in the panel that it would help the gasses emit through them instead of going through the paint?
So instead of paint bubbles you'd have a crapload of small holes? Neither of those are good options.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
I think the OP is talking about the tiny triangle pieces directly behind the windows. If Im not mistaken those are just black plastic right or wrong? Mine are getting pretty dinged up as well.
That would make more sense...those pieces are actually separate from the sail panel itself, and are just stuck on after the sail panel is put in place. You can actually order the triangle pieces separately.

From the Sail Panel Recall Thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...ll-thread.html:

10240164 Applique Quarter Panel Upper Right
10240165 Applique Quarter Panel Upper Left
Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is from Arizona and has no paint bubbling problems. Interesting, maybe because it was garaged, or maybe it has already been repainted
Old 06-05-2009, 01:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The bubbling was more prevalent on the later 4th gens. Mine is starting and I will fix it eventually. Does Gm sell the hardtop cover as well?