Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Need help!......tire fitment problem! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help!......tire fitment problem! (long)

Okay, here is my problem. First off, I am only concerned with the rear tires/wheels because the fronts fit beautifully. Secondly, I do have the Eibach Pro-kit which I think is part of the problem. I do not have the Sportlines, but my car dropped more than 2.25" in the rear. The car sits level, but almost looks like the back is lower than the front. Did I get a bad set of springs in the back?
Back to the problem. I have some 18x10 billet specialties wheels (running 295/35 tires) that I recieved last week the day before the Hot Rod Power Tour (should have received them way sooner, but that is a long, long story in itself). The backspacing was 7.25" leaving 2.75" in front of the mounting surface. I know that some guys running 17x11 with 7.75" backspacing (3.25" in front of the mounting surface) claim to have no rubbing problems. I thought I would play it extra safe and give myself a half inch more of quarter panel lip clearance by going with a little more backspacing. Well, anyone with a Pro-kit that claims to not rub with 315's on 11-inch wheels must know something I don't because on my 10-inch wheels with extra backspacing and 295/35's, I rubbed so bad on the quarter panel wheel well lip that I had to run the Power Tour on my stock 16-inchers. Trust me, I was not a happy camper. What can I do? These wheels were expensive and I have to make them work. By the way, the car "looked" completely awesome when the wheels/tires were on the car. The combo of the stance and wheel/tire package was excellent. If only it didn't rub?.....

Here are the options I can think of (please feel free to suggest others):

1. Put stock springs back on and hope that the suspension travel is not enough to still allow rubbing.

2. Try another set of rear springs from another Pro-kit and hope they do not lower the car as much.

3. Try a totally different brand of lowering springs. However, the only other companies with mild drops that I know of are G2 (1"/1 5/8") and Hotchkis (1"/1").

4. Roll the wheel well lip. I hate to do this on a brand new car (2002 Z28), but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

5. See if Billet Specialties can adjust to backspacing by machining the mounting pad or moving the center section out.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Need help!......tire fitment problem! (long)

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by rollercam:
<strong>1. Put stock springs back on and hope that the suspension travel is not enough to still allow rubbing.</strong>

Should work, but may make the rear of the car too high, could always cut them.

2. Try another set of rear springs from another Pro-kit and hope they do not lower the car as much.

Risky gamble

3. Try a totally different brand of lowering springs. However, the only other companies with mild drops that I know of are G2 (1"/1 5/8") and Hotchkis (1"/1").

SLP Eibach rear springs will give you 3/4" to 1" drop. This is what I am running. Mark is running these springs with 315's and an 11" rim, but he does get a little outerwheel well lip rubbing, when the car is loaded or during EXTREME accelleration.

4. Roll the wheel well lip. I hate to do this on a brand new car (2002 Z28), but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

May just have to do.

5. See if Billet Specialties can adjust to backspacing by machining the mounting pad or moving the center section out.

I don't feel it is necessary to do this, I am running 295 series tires on 18" x 10.5" Z06 style wheels with a 7.75" BS and a 5/16" spacer to get the wheels out further, I also have the SLP Eibach springs on my SS. I have NO outer wheel well rubbing problems, did rub a little on the inside before the spacers.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

<small>[ May 30, 2002, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Xsta Z 28 ]</small>
Old 05-30-2002, 11:54 AM
Launching!

I think Eibach SUCKS! I just installed them with my HALs and the pro kit dropped the back to the point that the tire is flush with the top of the fender well opening.
I am just going to re install my stock springs in the front and adjust the HALs for the drop I want.
I am going to cut one full coil out of the rear springs and see where that puts me. I will take a little more out if I need to.
I am really pissed with my Pro kit because that was the whole reason in getting them, to have a mild drop so I could still run an 11-12" wide wheel on the back.
Old 05-30-2002, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by rollercam:
<strong>Xsta Z28

So, of your suggestions which one would you most likely try first.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">HMMM, I guess I would go cheapest/easiest first.

1. Reinstall stock springs. Free mod less your labor.

2. Cut the stock springs, going half a coil at a time, and reinstall, luckily rear springs are very easy to install and only take about an hour to do. Free mod less labor and possibly some cut of discs. I cut my front SLP Eibachs to get just a little more drop. See pictures here: Camaro Picture Album

3. Find a suitable replacement rear spring such as the SLP Eibachs. Unfortunately I do not know if you can buy just the rear pair.

4. I wouldn't even try to buy another set of the Pro Kit, it plain and simply is too low.

5. A very cheap "testing" step could be to buy the coil spring spacers from places such as Auto Zone, just to see how much height you really need. The little "twist-in" kind, but as I said ONLY for testing. Cheap mod. I did this on my old 81 Z that literally fell to the floor with the lowering springs I put in. The car actually sat on the fenders.

6. Have the wheel modified if possible, but I don't see this as necessary.

7. Absolutely last have the rear fender lip professionally rolled.

I hope that helps.

Andy
Old 05-31-2002, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Xsta Z28

So, of your suggestions which one would you most likely try first.

Quick Reply: Need help!......tire fitment problem! (long)