Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED third brake light on a 1999 trans am.LOTS OF PICS!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default I have the smoked version....

Originally Posted by lemons12
Brighter than favtory? Do you think even the smoked would be as bright as favtory?
Hey! What have you been up to! I bought the smoked light and it is very bright, I'll post pics later. It does shine better that stock.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks great
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip. I checked out the ones on eBay for Camaros and they don't look bad at all for $50, not like the cheesy LED brake/reverse/turn lights.

I'll still wait until I see a pic on a real car, especially the black out ones, which would probably look great on a silver or black car. On a pewter like mine, dunno, might be safer to go with the red, even with black fill-in letter for the Camaro in the Berger panel.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Thanks for the tip. I checked out the ones on eBay for Camaros and they don't look bad at all for $50, not like the cheesy LED brake/reverse/turn lights.

I'll still wait until I see a pic on a real car, especially the black out ones, which would probably look great on a silver or black car. On a pewter like mine, dunno, might be safer to go with the red, even with black fill-in letter for the Camaro in the Berger panel.
You can check out what the red one looks like. I put one on my dad's Z.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...installed.html
Old 12-30-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
Hey! What have you been up to! I bought the smoked light and it is very bright, I'll post pics later. It does shine better that stock.
Hey bro!! Long time no hear! Just trying to keep my head above the water, this crap weather is killing work.

That would be awesome very curious to see what it looks like.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a crappy pic:
Attached Thumbnails LED third brake light on a 1999 trans am.LOTS OF PICS!!-led-2.jpg  
Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Guz
You can check out what the red one looks like. I put one on my dad's Z.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...installed.html
I can't believe it. Of all the things I need for my car, I just went and bought one of these things.
Normally bright, shiny things don't get my attention but I just did a 700 mile vacation drive and saw a bunch of LED brake lights and they look so cool.
At least I got the red instead of the smoke/clear.
At least it was only $38.

Guz, I hate you.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

I have this same LED tail light off ebay. The price mustve gone up i got mine for 49.99 shipped. I blacked mine out with a rattle can and some clear. It still shines through and looks great. [IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG] Freshly installed (took like 10 mins)

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG] Blacked out
Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
I can't believe it. Of all the things I need for my car, I just went and bought one of these things.
Normally bright, shiny things don't get my attention but I just did a 700 mile vacation drive and saw a bunch of LED brake lights and they look so cool.
At least I got the red instead of the smoke/clear.
At least it was only $38.

Guz, I hate you.
Don't hate . You will like it. It's brighter than the stock light. I spliced it into the existing wiring so I can always put the stock one back in just in case.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Can anyone give me the ebay suppliers e-bay name because all I see on e-bay are for 1993-97s and I have a 1999.Also they list the 93-97s as the same for convertibles and coupe trans ams and arent they different and wont interchange?Is a 93-97 the same as my 1999.Dont want to get the wrong one but I remember they only had the ones for convertibles at first and could not get them for the high wing spoiler on a coupe.Please let me know so I can get one.Also are the black ones have black glass that is darker than the smoked glass.Thanks
Old 08-24-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cballweg
Can anyone give me the ebay suppliers e-bay name because all I see on e-bay are for 1993-97s and I have a 1999.Also they list the 93-97s as the same for convertibles and coupe trans ams and arent they different and wont interchange?Is a 93-97 the same as my 1999.Dont want to get the wrong one but I remember they only had the ones for convertibles at first and could not get them for the high wing spoiler on a coupe.Please let me know so I can get one.Also are the black ones have black glass that is darker than the smoked glass.Thanks
Don't bother with your time. These are not made anymore. I think there might still be some floating around for Formula's, but the TA is not anywhere.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Just seen on E-BAY today that they have these available again for 1998 -02 TRANS AMS in smoke and black.Also have them listed for 1993-97 TRANS AMS.I thought all 93-02 were all the same.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there a site that offers various sizes? I have an 87 with a modded back end that I cant find an LED brake light anywhere.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cballweg
Just seen on E-BAY today that they have these available again for 1998 -02 TRANS AMS in smoke and black.Also have them listed for 1993-97 TRANS AMS.I thought all 93-02 were all the same.
The Formula flush spoiler has a different housing than the high rise TA spoiler. They are different.

There is a listing from motorblvdparts that as they state is for flush mounted spoilers only. The other listings from hdcautosports I would be very leery of. The actual housing picture is correct for a TA, but the only on car pics are of a flush mount. They also list compatibility as "All Models" which is completely false. I would ask questions or for a photo of the actual housing that they have. My guess is it is not the TA light. If you buy one and it is the TA light, please let us know as there are more people than me that would buy one as well.

The company that used to make those, I wanna say it was RKSport, discontinued the item a while ago. If those are TA, somebody else started producing them.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrrman
Is there a site that offers various sizes? I have an 87 with a modded back end that I cant find an LED brake light anywhere.
I know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but my suggestion would be to put the original rear back on as that rear is horrible.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

One of you MFers give me a sellers name, NOW!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
I know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but my suggestion would be to put the original rear back on as that rear is horrible.
No can do....its a kit and I like it
Old 08-26-2011, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not one of you mother ******* had a name.

I'm sure I have helped at least one of you with something at some point and time, all I want is a name. Give me a name.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You could look on ebay yourself and find it. I just searched for "firebird led brake light" right now and found it. Instead of being angry and lazy, look for it. The seller I found is called "hdcautosports". The unit in their pics looks like the Trans Am one, but the on-car pics are of the Firebird/Formula one on a yellow Firebird/Formula. It's $44 shipped. There are multiple listings.

EDIT: I just saw that in the other thread, you posted links to this product on ebay, so apparently, you found it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ble-again.html

Last edited by VIP1; 08-26-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VIP1
You could look on ebay yourself and find it. I just searched for "firebird led brake light" right now and found it. Instead of being angry and lazy, look for it. The seller I found is called "hdcautosports". The unit in their pics looks like the Trans Am one, but the on-car pics are of the Firebird/Formula one on a yellow Firebird/Formula. It's $44 shipped. There are multiple listings.

EDIT: I just saw that in the other thread, you posted links to this product on ebay, so apparently, you found it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ble-again.html
Yes sir, as you saw I had already... And have plenty of times in the past. That question has been asked several times over in several threads. It has not once been answered.

It would greatly help the people looking to buy and it is a very simple request.
I went ahead and bought the one I thought was for the high rise (since nobody was bettering the situation), another member asked that seller and they said it wouldn't fit. Hopefully they are mistaken. I am trying to get one as well as help others figure out which one we need.
The descriptions are extremely misleading and confusing, all the pics are photo shopped, and the "what will this fit" box sometimes it says it won't fit any year or model Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am.

Quick Reply: LED third brake light on a 1999 trans am.LOTS OF PICS!!