Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Trying to paint my calipers..

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimitri-
Anyone have pics of a wheelshot of the rotors and everything taped up? Prior to painting
heres how i did mine, you may want to try this if you are having a hard time with it.
i was installing new pads, so they were off at the time.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those twisty clip things you referred to are put on from the factory to hold the rotors on during assembly. They are supposed to be there. They can be tossed though as they are no longer necessary.

For painting the caliper on the car, one thing that'll make it easier is if you have the rotor on, put a plastic bag over the rotor, then bolt the caliper back on. The caliper will be in the correct position for painting and the bag over the rotor, pushed up into the caliper, will prevent paint from getting everywhere on the inside of the caliper.

For cleaning all of the buildup off of the calipers, you can get big scothbrite discs that go on a die grinder or drill. They are made for stripping paint and rust. They'll make quick work of the build up and give you a nice clean surface for priming.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
Those twisty clip things you referred to are put on from the factory to hold the rotors on during assembly. They are supposed to be there. They can be tossed though as they are no longer necessary.

For painting the caliper on the car, one thing that'll make it easier is if you have the rotor on, put a plastic bag over the rotor, then bolt the caliper back on. The caliper will be in the correct position for painting and the bag over the rotor, pushed up into the caliper, will prevent paint from getting everywhere on the inside of the caliper.

For cleaning all of the buildup off of the calipers, you can get big scothbrite discs that go on a die grinder or drill. They are made for stripping paint and rust. They'll make quick work of the build up and give you a nice clean surface for priming.
I didnt know those twisty clip things were supposed to be there, ive never read on anyones writeups of them, so I figured they were something else the previous owner botched.

I also finished painting everything, I did put a plastic bag over the rotor, didnt bolt the caliper on though because it was pretty stiff already.

I also did use those discs on one of those drills I had around, they definitely did the trick and cut cleaning time.

Looks decent as of now, hopefully stays that way. Will take pics tomorrow when everything is going back on
Old 06-19-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Ok here are finished pics (sorry for the crappy camera)

Overall I consider this job a failure lol :\ Cause it took so long and ran into so many problems, also the paint job I dont think is even comparable to others on here.

New brakes are Hawk HPS's

Holy rusted rotors

Also, excuse how dirty car/wheel is, hands were so full of crud when putting them back on
What can I say, I like black.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

They turned out well. Looks good man! I'm also fond of those wheels as I had them on my car for awhile and soon will be selling a set.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As others have done, you can add decals of your choice and high temp clear over them if you like.

Quick Reply: Trying to paint my calipers..