Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

I've got a question on mini-tubing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got a question on mini-tubing.

Hey,

I'm looking to run 18x11.5 Profil 13's with 335's on the rear of a '98-02 camaro and I would like to know about doing a mini-tub. I prefer not to do it as I'm not planning to race the car. Although I may at some point try an autox once at some point. But it's going to be a DD so I wasn't wanting to chop up the car but if it's what I have to do to fit the wheels & tires, then I will look into it.

My question is can I have the tubs only come in an inch or two or are they pre-made with pre-determined dimensions. I will only need a slight amount more of clearance (about an inch or two) over stock to fit the wheels/tires. I'd like to hear from others who have done it or know about this. And if anyone has pics, that would be great.

I want to be able to keep the rear seats & hatch area as stock looking (I will be putting in a Wolfe 8-point roll cage though) and functional as possible. I have seen the Wolfe Racecraft mini-tub kit and it appears to be available with a small one like I'm looking for.

What would the ballpark cost be to actually have it installed? Thanks.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive breifly looked into doing a mini tub myself vs. the bfh mod. from what I understood doing a mini tub will enable you to retain all interior peices in their factory location. cost really depends on if you do the work yourself or have a welder/fab guy do it. doing it yourself i wouldnt see it costing much more than 500 being on the expensive side.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
Ive breifly looked into doing a mini tub myself vs. the bfh mod. from what I understood doing a mini tub will enable you to retain all interior peices in their factory location. cost really depends on if you do the work yourself or have a welder/fab guy do it. doing it yourself i wouldnt see it costing much more than 500 being on the expensive side.
I wish I could do it myself! I'd have the shop who is going to be doing the rest of the build on the car do it. Could you give me a rough idea with a shop doing it?

Why did you decide against it? If I can fit the wheels & tires with just doing the bfh mod I'll do that but I'm not sure if just that would be enough. I don't want to have any rubbing or not look very good. The wheels will have to be able tuck in right, just inside the wheel well or almost flush.

Last edited by TXSSIVE; 07-08-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think with that size wheel/tire you would need the mini-tub. The BFH mod can only do so much. I have played around with the idea for a couple years myself. I have looked at the Wolfe kit also. You should be able "customize" it for the room you need. I don't have a clue of what it would cost to install. Might contact Late Model Racecraft. ( a sponsor) I have seen a kit they did and it looked great. Big *** tire all tucked
Old 07-08-2009, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99zee
I would think with that size wheel/tire you would need the mini-tub. The BFH mod can only do so much. I have played around with the idea for a couple years myself. I have looked at the Wolfe kit also. You should be able "customize" it for the room you need. I don't have a clue of what it would cost to install. Might contact Late Model Racecraft. ( a sponsor) I have seen a kit they did and it looked great. Big *** tire all tucked
Yeah, there was a guy on here (h8bnslo) and he supposedly did it without doing the mini-tub but no one knows how in the hell he did it. He said he just got correct offset wheels and a hell of a lot of BFH mod. But I think it'll be better to look into the mini-tub. Just hope it's not too expensive to have done, because you're right it does look to have a big *** tire tucked in nicely. I'll try contacting LMR, and I'm waiting to hear back from the shop that I'm going to have do the build on the car too. I want to be able to compare a few prices.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Teching In

I'm doing my car right now and i will tell you its a little bit of work to do them. I'm looking to run 315/60 dr on mine with a 12" rim.I'll try to get some pics up the first of the week(when I get back to the shop)
Old 07-18-2009, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by suspectz28
I'm doing my car right now and i will tell you its a little bit of work to do them. I'm looking to run 315/60 dr on mine with a 12" rim.I'll try to get some pics up the first of the week(when I get back to the shop)
Cool. Please do.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by suspectz28
It would be great if you could hook us up with some "in progress" pics too. Looking at my car, I'm seeing frame structure around spring/shock assemblies, and at least two layers of sheet metal between that and the back of the wheel. Will moving the shock towers inward reduce suspension integrity? Would need to fab and graft in a narrowed sub frame section there, wouldn't you?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I could use some pics of some mini tubs
Old 07-18-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 07-18-2009, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

AWESOME!!! How much is your rearend narrowed?
Old 07-19-2009, 02:19 AM
On The Tree

That is very cool. Looks great, nice work. I'd like to see pics when completed.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well... that is going to be a fun job.. lol
Old 07-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Teching In

check out this post by vmax1500...im coping the way they did his tubs. my car will not be a 25.5 cage but im loooking to run the same size rim and tire

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ight=mini+tubs
Old 07-20-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
AWESOME!!! How much is your rearend narrowed?
7"
Originally Posted by TXSSIVE
That is very cool. Looks great, nice work. I'd like to see pics when completed.

Last edited by slammed1500; 07-20-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: I've got a question on mini-tubing.