Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Setting gauge needles

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Setting gauge needles

Ok.... so I have the gauges back in after installing the McNord gauges... Got the voltage and temp gauges set, and the tach is damn near there. The fuel gauge and the oil temp however just want to bounce back to the same spot no matter where I put them in at. How do I set those? I noticed they have a little tab by the spot that you put the gauge stud in. Now... also the speedometer. How do you set that? Have to be in motion? It usually sits on the gauge surround, however I have that off to adjust. But I don't see how to do it when the car is moving. lol HELP!!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

To set the speedo, you only need to be going 5 mph or so...just fast enough that the needle will clear the bezel. Just find a big empty lot and put it in drive and take your foot off the gas. That what we did.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stupid clutch..... lol
Old 07-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the speedo, I set mine on jackstands with the wheels off and did it from there.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Teching In

I think the easier way is putting the needle on when the car is off but just put it from the same distance of 5mph lower than the actual 5mph mark. however you will have to drive somewhere to get the needle out of the way to pop in the gauge surround so it doesnt hit. then I would have a friend drive around with a cell phone and sync speeds to make sure everything is right. thats what I did anyway
Old 07-26-2009, 03:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

How about the smaller ones? It looks like the overlay is to the right a little. Makes it hard to put in the smaller ones with the extra tabs.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Teching In

The smaller ones I just knew where they were supposed to be and put them in. Id fill the gas tank up and put the needle at F or a little above. I forget how I did voltage I think I just remembered where it usually was. same with the oil. Sorry I know that wasnt much help but thats all I got.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I took pics of them all before doing it so I knew where they would go. But the fuel keeps bouncing to 3/4 tank.

Quick Reply: Setting gauge needles