Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I Don't Want To Clearcoat

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 06:32 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I Don't Want To Clearcoat

Those who have painted their interior pieces, do you notice that after you put on the clearcoat it dulls the paint? I tried it on a very inconspicuous piece I was testing since I switched to black pieces and noticed the same thing that I noticed on my red pieces. After you put on the clearcoat, it dulls the paint down, takes the shine away, and almost "hazes" it. I am unsure as to whether I want to do my other pieces or not.

I'm planning on Zainoing my interior pieces after I get them done and they've been in the car for a few weeks to really get baked on, but I'm wondering besides from a protection standpoint, what risk do I run no having clearcoat on them? Will the Zaino do right on them if they don't have a clearcoat? Is there anything I can do to smooth the paint a bit more as well (I have 2000 grit wet sanding paper and also a 3M fine cut rubbing compound)? If I wetsanded and put the 3M on should I do that before or after clearcoating and also if I don't clearcoat the pieces, would it be OK to wetsand the black paint and then use the rubbing compound on them or does it only work on clearcoat? Thanks for any help on this, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: I Don't Want To Clearcoat

Spraying clearcoat shouldn't dull the finish, sounds like your putting the clearcoat on too dry. Put on a few coats of clear and use 3M Finesse-it II when the paint has dried, use the 2000 wet in between coats not the rubbing compound.

Al
Old 06-19-2002, 09:33 PM

What do you mean by saying that I'm "putting the clearcoat on too dry?" How can I avoid doing that? I don't have a spray gun or anything, I'm just using spray paint to do this with. Also are you saying I should 2000 wet between each coat of paint? If that's the case then I'll wetsand one more time and then go get some 3M Finessee-it and work that in to remove the scratches, then clear it without clearing too dry. Or are you saying that I should just lay down a few coats of clear and then do the Finesse-it after the last layer of clear? So far I have layed two coats of paint, wet sanded, and layed two more coats of paint, where should I go from here? A short step by step write-up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help thusfar and anymore.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

what kind of clear are you using.

Duplicolor is the best IMHO. You can even pick it up at Kragen.

I just did 3-4 very think coats and let sit for two days...
then wet sanded, washed the pieces, and clear coated again.

Came out awesome!
Old 06-20-2002, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

In your case spraying too dry would mean you're holding the can too far away, you don't want runs but you don't want the paint to dry before it touches the part. Forget the part about sanding in between coats, I'd put on three coats of clear and then use the 3M product once the paint has dried.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:09 PM

So there is no need to wetsand then? Just lay on three decent coats of clear and then give it a while to dry, maybe a day, then 3M Finesse-it? Will the 3M stuff make it smooth like wetsanding does? Thanks for all the help everyone and also for anymore.

BTW: All paint and clear is Plasti-Kote product.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

email me if u want some help.