Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Opinions needed...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Opinions needed...

Ok guys here it is... Most of you now have seen my hood which is pretty unique. Some of you like it and some dont. I am going to be having some work done to it but I do not know exactly what I should do. Therefore I am asking your opinions. Here is a pic to refresh your memory...

So as of now, all louvers lead air to my intake through a skeleton similar to the SS hoods.. They all function as a ram air/cowl of sorts more than anything else. They are not heat extractors as they appear. What I will be doing is removing the side louvers and making those functional heat extractors. You will be able to look down through them and see the motor. Instead of being raised above the hood as they are now they will become flush with the hood which will clean up the look immensely, especially from the front.

Now my question to you is what exactly should I have them become? Should I do three or five louvers per side, how big should they be, and what style and angle should they be?? This is what I need help on. I know I will get some of you to just say get a Sunoco, however this hood is unique and that is what I like about it. I am just touching it up. Any photoshop or pics of the style of louver you think would look best would be much appreciated. I have included more pics so you can get a better picture of what would be possible. Thanks.

I don't ask for help often with these kinds of things but I need it on this one. Thanks again guys.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't really see how you're trying to utilize those louvers in a "ram air effect" type of way... Unless of course you're hauling *** in reverse lol.

However, from a visual standpoint, I don't think it looks terrible. Not my first choice but it really doesn't look awful.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Im aware of the ram air variance, I was just stating they function but I am going to change the functionality.. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps you should look at what Dodge has done with the Viper. I hope this is able to give you at least a little guidance:

Old 08-06-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Perhaps you should look at what Dodge has done with the Viper. I hope this is able to give you at least a little guidance:
I thought about these, if I were to do one I would do this one...
I think it would look pretty damn good.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should keep them the same size & shape and just sink them into the hood. It will look a lot like the above viper. That would look good. Althought I like the hood as is.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

I have thought of this as well... And you know it would probably the easiest out of everything to do. I will probably just do that unless someone has a brilliant idea come up soon. I think it still looks good now to, but you see how it has the little curve one the front to go with the body line... That would go away and it would be straight lines all around, no curves.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not leave it as is?

It looks good, and it's not going to get a lot more functional.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

It will become more functional because I am changing its function.. I like the hood dont get me wrong, but just the angle from the front just doesnt look right to me. I can get a set of the 5 row viper louvers pictured above for $50 bucks each. Do you guys think it would be worth it to try those??

A friend also pointed out that if I use my own then it will be more work seeing that once I cut them I will have a bigger whole to fill with a small piece. If I get the Viper louvers which are larger, then it will be an overall easier install.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Although it is more work,
If it is feasable for you I would work off of the raised hump in the bodyline that tapers back from the headlight and sink the extracter opening following that line toward the rear in a reversed (sunken oval valley) with a single opening where it begins. You can see the body line I'm referring to best in the first picture. It would become flush at the rear of the hood, tapering to a point.

Your taking what is there to work with and making the design better to suit your needs/desires!

Quick Reply: Opinions needed...