Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Fuel gauge issue after 6LE install

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^That's the "keying" I was talking about. Those slits are obviously just so the metal can expand over the bar you're sticking it on, they aren't "keyed" (like you see on a crank hub or something) but I'm wondering if years of being seated in one spot didn't wear on it and have a "keying" effect...

Or it has nothing to do with any of this... I'll ask my calibration guy tomorrow...
Old 08-14-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Interesting, never even noticed that. I just kept them in order left to right.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sommer86
Here's the pic I just took. Notice the notches in the needles? That may play part in the needles not seating correctly. The 2 on the left have "Keys" in the same direction. The 2 on the right are opposite of each other.

The plastic stops are all in the same place so I think the notch might dictate where the needle goes.

Here's how I think they go (from left to right):
#1 - Voltage
#2 - Oil Pressure
#3 - Water Temp.
#4 - Fuel

These are just assumption on if you put the notches on a flat plane of 3 to 9, and then they'd look to be in the right directions for the gauges to work...just my $.02

Any way to rehost this picture Sommers? I'll be installing your needles soon, and was just looking for a reference source. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The only problem on mine is...
My oil gauge doesn't reset when I turn it off, I have to turn the key to run to get it to reset.

Everything else in smokin'
Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Any way to rehost this picture Sommers? I'll be installing your needles soon, and was just looking for a reference source. Thanks.
Sorry, I dont have it anymore. I debunked this theory anyway. We commented on these well before I started R&D on the needles (there is no "keying" that works or needs to be done). Now I know that there was no answer as to why the needles are wrong other than the fact that the needles need to be replaced a little a head of where they originally were since they will want to "lay down" a bit more. Also, the motors in the gauge cluster are what drive the needles. The motors are actually very strong for their size. When the car is powered up the needles will read correctly if you place them back on in the correct place.

Basically, just replace your needles with the car turned on. That way the needle shafts are in the correct position with power, but you'll have had to have taken reference pics before hand to put the needles back in their respective places.

If anyone ordered needles from us I send instructions on how to replace your needles on the cluster. If anyone else needs it, just shoot me an email.

Originally Posted by DaRReLL
The only problem on mine is...
My oil gauge doesn't reset when I turn it off, I have to turn the key to run to get it to reset.

Everything else in smokin'
That seems to be the only mechanical issue that these clusters have. All mine lay down except the oil pressure as well (and I know of at least 3 others). But, like I said, when the car gets powered up, its fine. It just doesn't go all the way down with the car off. To me, no biggie.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

co/signs....
Old 05-05-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sommer86
Sorry, I dont have it anymore. I debunked this theory anyway. We commented on these well before I started R&D on the needles (there is no "keying" that works or needs to be done). Now I know that there was no answer as to why the needles are wrong other than the fact that the needles need to be replaced a little a head of where they originally were since they will want to "lay down" a bit more. Also, the motors in the gauge cluster are what drive the needles. The motors are actually very strong for their size. When the car is powered up the needles will read correctly if you place them back on in the correct place.

Basically, just replace your needles with the car turned on. That way the needle shafts are in the correct position with power, but you'll have had to have taken reference pics before hand to put the needles back in their respective places.

If anyone ordered needles from us I send instructions on how to replace your needles on the cluster. If anyone else needs it, just shoot me an email.
So, I've read a few different ways...one to start the car up and let it run to get up to operating temp, and one to just turn the key to on. Is one method better then the other? And obviously take a picture before removal of the needles.

Thanks buddy.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge issue after 6LE install