Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Huge Multi-Vehicle Photoshoot: @ 70-75 pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Damn dude. Must've been a LONG (and awesome) day. You're a great photographer man, nice shots.
i wanted to meet up at 6AM and take pictures by 7AM but the Battlegrounds didn't open on Saturday till 9AM.

and in Houston, a Photoshoot outdoors at 10AM is killer. it was about 93 degrees with 55% humidity. we were all sweating our ***** off but we got'er done.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackhawk400
awesome shots! those cars are all gorgeous. what is the location with the battleship?
as you may or may not know, Texas is one of the biggest states with an epic history.

The Battle Of San Jacinto happened there. men died and history was changed in that very grass and dirt.

In March of 1836, things were not going well for Sam Houston’s Texas revolutionaries. Having declared independence from the official Mexican government, they were now running from the Mexican army, being run from their homes—and running out of time.

Since January 1836, Texas settlers had been abandoning their homes and the lives they’d created on the Texas frontier. Known as the Runaway Scrape, this retreat began as the Mexican government initiated military reoccupation of the newly settled land. The event was marked by sickness, freezing weather, hunger and panic among the citizenry.

But their main problem was the feared Napolean of the West, Mexican General Antonio López de Santa Anna. Realizing—perhaps a bit late—the strategic importance of controlling the Texas coastline and hoping to capture the Texas government, Santa Anna led his 700 men to Harrisburg on his way to the coast, burning the town.

On April 11th, the Texas army received its only artillery. The town of Cincinnati, Ohio, purchased a pair of six-pound guns manufactured in their home state and shipped them to New Orleans to help the Texians. Known as the Twin Sisters, they did not stay idle.

Houston’s men, their families uprooted and futures uncertain, were ready to fight. On April 17th, their retreat led them to a fork in the road. One road led to Louisiana and possible refuge in the United States. The other road led to Harrisburg and the edge of the coast. Houston's army marched down the road to Harrisburg without objections from Houston.

On the 18th, Houston reached White Oak Bayou, where he learned that Santa Anna’s nearby forces had just crossed the bridge over Vince’s Bayou. On the 19th, Houston crossed Buffalo Bayou between Sims' and Vince's Bayous just outside of Harrisburg. Marching down the bayou, they captured one of Santa Anna’s supply boats.

Just miles away from Houston’s men, Santa Anna’s forces now numbered around 1200. The Texans numbered 900. On April 20th, Sidney Sherman gave the Mexican army a quick jab with a small skirmish that quickly fizzled out. Both sides then camped for the night.

On the morning of April 21st, General Houston held a council of war. The majority of his officers voted to await Santa Anna’s attack in order to leverage their position. General Houston let each man in the council plead his case. Then he made a decision, which he kept to himself until that afternoon: they would attack.

Around 4:30 p.m., the Mexican soldiers awoke from their afternoon siestas to the smell of gunpowder and cries of vengeance. Flushed with victory from the siege of the Alamo, Santa Anna had failed to post sentries to monitor the Texans’ activities.

In eighteen minutes the Texians were in control of the Mexican camp.

The Mexican soldiers were far more trained in martial field tactics and strategy than their Texian opponents. But they were unable to organize under the feverish surprise attack. And the short-range unorthodox brawling of frontiersmen with long knives and clenched fists did not work in their favor.

Over 600 Mexican soldiers were killed, and over 700 were allowed to surrender; nine Texians were killed or mortally wounded. Sam Houston was shot in the ankle. Santa Anna was found the next day hiding in the grass and dressed as a common foot soldier.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

also, almost a 3rd of the United States can thank the brave Texans who fought on that day.

For Mexico, the defeat was the beginning of a downhill martial and political spiral that would result into the loss of nearly a million square miles in territory. For the Texans, their victory led to annexation into the United States and the United States' war with Mexico. In the end, the United States would gain not only Texas but also New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona, California, Utah and parts of Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado and Wyoming.

As a result of the Battle of San Jacinto, almost a third of what is now the United States of America changed ownership.

and that's one of the very few reasons why Texans are so proud
Old 08-17-2009, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

re-enactment of the Battle of San Jacinto

Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

On this field on April 21, 1836 the Army of Texas commanded by General Sam Houston, and accompanied by the Secretary of War, Thomas J. Rusk, attacked the larger invading army of Mexicans under General Santa Anna. The battle line from left to right was formed by Sidney Sherman's regiment, Edward Burleson's regiment, the artillery commanded by George W. Hockley, Henry Millard's infantry and the cavalry under Mirabeau B. Lamar. Sam Houston led the infantry charge.

With the battle cry, "Remember the Alamo! Remember Goliad!" the Texans charged. The enemy taken by surprise, rallied for a few minutes then fled in disorder. The Texans had asked no quarter and gave none. The slaughter was appalling, victory complete, and Texas free! On the following day General Antonio Lopez De Santa Anna, self-styled "Napoleon of the West," received from a generous foe the mercy he had denied Travis at the Alamo and Fannin at Goliad.

Measured by its results, San Jacinto was one of the decisive battles of the world. The freedom of Texas from Mexico won here led to annexation and to the Mexican-American War, resulting in the acquisition by the United States of the states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas and Oklahoma. Almost one-third of the present area of the American Nation, nearly a million square miles of territory, changed sovereignty.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice pics, Nice cars, Nice, Nice, Nice... there are a lot of them!
kidding aside there are a lot of great shots, Great photography.

I also think the sunglass reflection was well executed.

The Wings West falls under some scrutiny here, but I have and still do like it, as does the windshield banners, but with the color theme and being a vert, I think it looks good as well.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Launching!

really nice
Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

the freakin boll car is sooo awesome looking.

every V8 vert in the world should have come with a roll bar from the factory :druel:

in person, that guy's car was incredible. Jesus would have eaten some tacos right off of his hood.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got some skills! wish you were closer
Old 08-18-2009, 03:34 AM
Launching!

i think they would have been slightly nicer if you used a lower iso to help with some of the over exposed spots and get rid of the halo effect some of the pictures have.

sunglasses shot was cool but too bad you couldn't edit out the people in the far background.

for an idea you might like to check out when editing them is to use a gradient with a color burn to darken the tops of the skies. it makes for a really good effect.

i am not sure how much B&w photography you do but i do a lot. b&w styler is a great program that is a plug in for photoshop. it is basically a converter for a digital camera that makes shots look like they were film.it gives you all kinds of options and really pops of the black and white pictures.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by imlooking
the freakin boll car is sooo awesome looking.
every V8 vert in the world should have come with a roll bar from the factory :druel:
Its not a roll bar, its a simple hi mounted 3rd break light bar, yes it does look nice but it appears the company that made them sold so few that they no longer sell them (rksport) in a rollover it would crush, its a show item only.

BTW-Again, KILLER pics and YOUR rides are killer too!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

aaahhh, thanks for the info cajun. i'm a V8 noob. only been around V8's for about 6 months, HAHA !!!!

did you see other pictures of my cars somewhere !?!?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

aaahhh, thanks for the info cajun. i'm a V8 noob. only been around V8's for about 6 months, HAHA !!!!

did you see other pictures of my cars somewhere !?!?
Yep, LSXnation
Old 08-18-2009, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Yep, LSXnation
ooohhh, that's awesome.

you should post there more often. hang out in the Texas Section
Old 08-18-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

ooohhh, that's awesome.

you should post there more often. hang out in the Texas Section
I should just move there and then you can photograph my ride...but in all seriousness, looks like a great group of guys there. Is this your day gig? (photography)

You might find me over there, if i can squeeze in more time...yawn
Old 08-19-2009, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

wow great pics! your very skilled i wish my pics would come out like that.
post some more of the girl shes cute lol
Old 08-19-2009, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Sick Photo Shoot!!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

how'd you do the overhead shot of all the cars?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dabest09
how'd you do the overhead shot of all the cars?
go to post #24 and take a look at the monument. almost at the very top you will see some very small windows.

we parked all the cars in a row and then we took an elevator all the way to the top.

i was zoomed in at 200MM. cars still look small, HAHA !!!!

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
I should just move there and then you can photograph my ride...but in all seriousness, looks like a great group of guys there. Is this your day gig? (photography)
nah, i work for the oil and gas companies in the houston area as a Senior Expeditor

i just do photography on the side for friends and family. i get to do weddings, portraits, quinceaneras, graduations and family pictures when people request it.

i got two young children, 2.5 and 3 months and i've EASILY got over 3,000 pictures of them.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Oh man too cute, that second one is gonna be a handful in about 14 years, trust me bro, I have two that are college age now... take up heavy drinking now! Killer pics all around!

Quick Reply: Huge Multi-Vehicle Photoshoot: @ 70-75 pictures