Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Detailed and buffed: 2002 Black Z28 with BS Street Lites, 41 photos (no 56k!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dam, I wish you lived closer 2 me. I would pay you to clean/detail my car like that. My car looks just like your (Black on Black).
Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Staging Lane

Awesome job man. The car looks great. You gotta love black! I have been having the same problem with the nxt lately and with all the waxes I have been using. Going over it with a spray detailer helps a bit but you can still tell its there.

Actually, I have been using the turtle wax black box. Its a wax system made specifically for black cars. It doesnt seem to leave the streaking like nxt does but the instructions say to remove it with the included spray detailer. Its a two step process that includes a pre wax cleaner and a carnauba wax. These are both black in color and dry black instead of white so it hides any imperfections you have. But it appears you dont have any imperfections.

But you should definately give it a try. I have also heard that poorboys world nattys blue paste wax works really well on black and its pretty reasonably priced.

Enjoy that black beauty man!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Teching In

wow looks good i think i need to do the same to my car its been sitting out side for weeks with out washing it.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
Thanks all!

keiichiZ28, I have actually been thinking of doing weekend details on the side. I have a bunch of friends lined up that want their cars done now too, especially the yellow Mustang owner and a friend's black Acura. I want to figure out the cloudiness and greasy, streaking problem with NXT 2.0 on my car and then I will start branching out to others' cars. I am about 99% satisfied with my finish right now, I just have to figure out that last little bit.

I may pick up some M20 and M26 on the way home from work today and see how that works! I will send you a PM when I feel confident enough to take on some customer cars.

given the fantastic work you've just shown, i'm not surprised other people were asking you to do theirs. just puts my car to shame since it's also black but looks 1000x worse now lol. i'll probably have to do some of this myself so it's at least presentable if you end up doing it LOL
Old 08-19-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

nice work, definetly a sweet looking car.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lizard King
Can you post this one in higher resolution?

Car looks great, you did an awesome job.
Thanks man, here is the high res link:
http://images50.fotki.com/v1570/file...ofIMG_1280.jpg

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
Beautiful car! Is the rear left tire mounted backward?
Thanks! The tire is mounted correctly, the new Toyo DRs just have a goofy tread pattern.
Originally Posted by gwoodtitans
Awesome job man. The car looks great. You gotta love black! I have been having the same problem with the nxt lately and with all the waxes I have been using. Going over it with a spray detailer helps a bit but you can still tell its there.

Actually, I have been using the turtle wax black box. Its a wax system made specifically for black cars. It doesnt seem to leave the streaking like nxt does but the instructions say to remove it with the included spray detailer. Its a two step process that includes a pre wax cleaner and a carnauba wax. These are both black in color and dry black instead of white so it hides any imperfections you have. But it appears you dont have any imperfections.

But you should definately give it a try. I have also heard that poorboys world nattys blue paste wax works really well on black and its pretty reasonably priced.

Enjoy that black beauty man!
I checked out the cloudiness again last night in some flourescent lighting and it's still really bad. I have read about a lot of people with the same problem, and I know I'm using it correctly. I actually have the bottle with me today and I'm going to try and return it to either Advance or Meguiars. I may try another bottle of NXT 2.0, or the 2.0 paste. Or I might just go for M20 and M26 if they have them in stock. I can't wait to see what this thing looks like without the cloudiness!

I have also heard good things about Poorboys, but if I order anything it will be the Blackfire Wet Diamond and Ivory Sun combo.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you ever post results on the Toyo TQ drag radials? I've been searching with no luck. Thinking about putting them on a set of street lites if I can find somebody to sell them to me now...
Old 08-19-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
Did you ever post results on the Toyo TQ drag radials? I've been searching with no luck. Thinking about putting them on a set of street lites if I can find somebody to sell them to me now...
PM sent, I don't want to sidetrack the thread.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know how everyone who loves their fbodies thinks about what they would do with each color of the camaro or firebird if that owned it in every color?... kinda like girls do with clothes, well your car would be my black version of a 4th gen all day long except i'd have that side molding off along with the front grill and fill in the holes or do a grill of some sort that doesnt look like shitty plastic (dont take it person, every camaro comes with that shitty grill). Just my .02, everyone has theirs, but I do love the stance, love the wheels, and def love the shine, great job, black can be a pain to detail.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

wow car looks sick!
can we get the wheel specs if ya know em?
thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

This just gives me a ton of hope for my black WS6! Car came out incredible, i can barely remember when my car looked that good.
-Joel
Old 08-19-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Veteran

NIIIICE!

Sizes on the wheel/tire combo.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

what wheels are those? damn those look good... you gotta tell me haha
Old 08-19-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

clean *** looking car you got there man.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

looks amazing man, im a fellow detailer as well. i noticed that you used the same pad for applying the M105 and the M205.....why did you not switch to a different pad for the M205? jw out of curiosity, im not familiar with those pads.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
You know how everyone who loves their fbodies thinks about what they would do with each color of the camaro or firebird if that owned it in every color?... kinda like girls do with clothes, well your car would be my black version of a 4th gen all day long except i'd have that side molding off along with the front grill and fill in the holes or do a grill of some sort that doesnt look like shitty plastic (dont take it person, every camaro comes with that shitty grill). Just my .02, everyone has theirs, but I do love the stance, love the wheels, and def love the shine, great job, black can be a pain to detail.
I removed the side molding on my last F-body and planned to do the same with this one, but it looks like there may be some problems with the clear coat underneath so they are staying on the car for now. Similar story with the front grille, I had a black billet grille on my last car and have thought about putting another one on this car but Virginia requires a front plate. I don't feel like getting pulled over any more so it's staying too since this is my daily driver. I don't mind it so much any more, but I need to dress it up again with some more 303.

I also previously wanted an SS spoiler and a Sunoco hood, in fact I even ordered the spoiler from the popular eBay company (I forget their name). After two problems I just returned it for a refund and gave up on the idea for a while. I think it looks just fine for now.
Originally Posted by shaun
wow car looks sick!
can we get the wheel specs if ya know em?
thanks
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Sizes on the wheel/tire combo.
Originally Posted by BIG BILL 2000 Z
what wheels are those? damn those look good... you gotta tell me haha
The wheels are Billet Specialties Street Lites, 17x11 in the rear and 17x7 up front. Rear tires are 315/35R17 Toyo Proxes drag radials and the fronts are cheap 215/50ZR17s from DTD.
<-- This smiley looks like it is having a seizure! I think the rear BS was 7.75" and the fronts were 4.5" IIRC. Check with LS1 Speed, I think they sell them now.

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
looks amazing man, im a fellow detailer as well. i noticed that you used the same pad for applying the M105 and the M205.....why did you not switch to a different pad for the M205? jw out of curiosity, im not familiar with those pads.
Thanks! I used the same model of polishing pad but I used one for the M105 and a second pad for the M205. The G110 kit I bought came with Meg's soft buff 2.0 pads, but I will probably buy Lake Country 5.5" CCS pads in the future.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Banned

Nice work. I need to polish and wax my car.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:17 AM
12 Second Club

if you call megs and tell them your having problems with the wax thry will send you a new bottle.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

I removed the side molding on my last F-body and planned to do the same with this one, but it looks like there may be some problems with the clear coat underneath so they are staying on the car for now. Similar story with the front grille, I had a black billet grille on my last car and have thought about putting another one on this car but Virginia requires a front plate. I don't feel like getting pulled over any more so it's staying too since this is my daily driver. I don't mind it so much any more, but I need to dress it up again with some more 303.
i went with the black grille and mounted the plate on the airdam under the car. it's visibile unless you're right next to the car, and i haven't been pulled in the 3+ years i've had it there
Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by keiichiZ28
i went with the black grille and mounted the plate on the airdam under the car. it's visibile unless you're right next to the car, and i haven't been pulled in the 3+ years i've had it there
That's the same place I had my last one, I got pulled over with it in Newport News. You can kind of see it in this pic:

Quick Reply: Detailed and buffed: 2002 Black Z28 with BS Street Lites, 41 photos (no 56k!)