Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Stupid, yet subtle Trans Am interior mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid, yet subtle Trans Am interior mods

So.. I hated having grey HVAC *****, grey steering wheel controls and a grey headlight switch in my 00 TA with black intierior. Also wasnt a fan that all of our interior lights light up red and I have a NBM car. Plus we all have those yellow/white, dull reading/dome lamps lights.

Well I got sick of that and switched those grey ***** out for the Camaros black ones. Switched out most of the red interior lighting for the Camaros white/blue ones (steering wheel controls, shifter plate, headlight switch overlay and HVAC overlay). Switch out my old crappy reading/dome lamps lights for nice bright white/blue LED ones. Also, since my TCS doesnt work in my TA since swapping out rear ends, I dont have a use for that button anymore... so I swapped that out with the Camaros cubby hole thing that goes in the same place.

All I need now, is to switch out my dash gauge overlay and order some hyper white LEDs for everything
Old 09-04-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks alot better.

I thought you could order with black buttons. I had no idea all ebony/black interiors had the grey ***** and buttons...
Old 09-04-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good its funny how all the bird owners love the birds but keep taking parts from the camaros to make the birds look better hahaha. looks good man. like you said nice and subtle. but looks clean
Old 09-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Launching!

I dont think Id have such a problem with the red interior, if my TA wasnt blue lol. Like if it was black, silver or white, I would have kept the lights red. The buttons however... yeah, that grey just kills me lol.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good idea
Old 09-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Teching In

i like that alot!!!
Old 09-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Looks good! I've been wanting to do this. Where did you get all the ***** and stuff?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
looks good its funny how all the bird owners love the birds but keep taking parts from the camaros to make the birds look better hahaha. looks good man. like you said nice and subtle. but looks clean
LOL, yeah i just sold my old 98' firebird seats to my buddy with a Camaro.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

Originally Posted by BlackHawk256
LOL, yeah i just sold my old 98' firebird seats to my buddy with a Camaro.
hahaah i took a set of 99 leathers from my buddies WS6 for my 92 so we both have our advantages but i would much rather have a nice set of ss with the embroidered headrests lol. but its all good.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Question.

Ive been wanting to do this also. If you swap out the HVAC ***** for the camaro ones will they still light up red if you dont change any LED's?

Also, how hard was it to switch out the steering wheel buttons?
Old 09-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Launching!

nice upgrades, I need to do this as well!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by patriot1136
Looks good! I've been wanting to do this. Where did you get all the ***** and stuff?
For the HVAC controls, I just ordered a 97-02 HVAC on Ebay. But you can also just go to a junk yard and take the ***** and HVAV overlay from any 97-02 Camaro.

For the Headlight controls, I actually went to a junk yard and got a 97-02 headlight control. Found out that that it actually doesnt fit exact on our cars. However, I just took the overlay, **** and wheel off that Camaro one and swapped them onto my TAs original ones.

The steering wheel button controls I actually got out of a Monte Carlo or Grand Prix (cant remember which one). But this is one where you have options if u cant find a 97-02 Camaro with them.

But all in all, junk yard or ebay lol.

Originally Posted by tmc2k1
Question.

Ive been wanting to do this also. If you swap out the HVAC ***** for the camaro ones will they still light up red if you dont change any LED's?

Also, how hard was it to switch out the steering wheel buttons?
No u have to change the LEDs if u want red and swap your Firebird HVAC for a Camaro HVAC.

The Steering wheel buttons come right out if u have a thin flat head screw driver. Just be careful to unclip the wiring harness they're attacted to because it doesnt come that far out after uve got the buttons out a little.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

So can you just get the overlays and such or what all is needed? I have been wanting to do this for a long time just didnt know what all was involved in doing it.

Do I need the whole Headlight Control? then I would need to take it all apart to get the overlay and the wheel right? Can I get just the overlay for the HVAC and Shifter too?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
So can you just get the overlays and such or what all is needed? I have been wanting to do this for a long time just didnt know what all was involved in doing it.

Do I need the whole Headlight Control? then I would need to take it all apart to get the overlay and the wheel right? Can I get just the overlay for the HVAC and Shifter too?
The most pain in the *** part of it is just taking off the part of your dash to get to the headlight controls. And with that its just because you think you're breaking your dash, but ur not lol. It pulls right off, its just on there pretty snug.

U can just get the overlay and ***** for the HVAC and Headlight control. Simply peel them off your current ones.. peel them off the Camaro ones, spray on some adhessive on the Camaro ones and slap them on where your old ones used to be.

The HVAC ***** just pull out and plug in.

For the interior light wheel, just unclip it from the Camaro one... unclip it from your current one and clip the Camaro one in its place.

For the shifter, u need to replace the whole plate. But thats just taking out 2 screws in your center console. Taking out the 4 screws that hold your shift plate in place and replacing the shifter plate.

Havent gotten to the gauge cluster overlay yet. I still need to find a 97-02 Camaro to swap that overlay out.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
hahaah i took a set of 99 leathers from my buddies WS6 for my 92 so we both have our advantages but i would much rather have a nice set of ss with the embroidered headrests lol. but its all good.
You're not the only one! I traded ENTIRE enteriors with a T/A friend of mine, grey cloth for black leather. And when i say everything i mean everything, carpet, headliner, sunvisors, door panels, front seats back seats, the whole shabang!
Old 09-14-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1Transhed
The most pain in the *** part of it is just taking off the part of your dash to get to the headlight controls. And with that its just because you think you're breaking your dash, but ur not lol. It pulls right off, its just on there pretty snug.

U can just get the overlay and ***** for the HVAC and Headlight control. Simply peel them off your current ones.. peel them off the Camaro ones, spray on some adhessive on the Camaro ones and slap them on where your old ones used to be.

The HVAC ***** just pull out and plug in.

For the interior light wheel, just unclip it from the Camaro one... unclip it from your current one and clip the Camaro one in its place.

For the shifter, u need to replace the whole plate. But thats just taking out 2 screws in your center console. Taking out the 4 screws that hold your shift plate in place and replacing the shifter plate.

Havent gotten to the gauge cluster overlay yet. I still need to find a 97-02 Camaro to swap that overlay out.
So I need the camaro auto tray?

Ive had my entire interior apart when I painted everything from graphite to ebony. Came out nice but these little gray parts kill the simple apperance of my car.

This really works out thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Looking better

I never did like those grey controls... so out of place
Old 09-14-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks very nice.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

pretty friggin sweet..would make a good mod write up..something simple..but the steeringwheel thing..damn nice touch there..i just dont really want to tackle anything next to an air bag with a screwdriver lol
Old 09-14-2009, 09:34 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice touches. BTW, those little cubby holes werent exclusive to just camaros tho.. My TA came with a cubby hole (as did every f-body from 97-02 without TCS)

Quick Reply: Stupid, yet subtle Trans Am interior mods