Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Stupid, yet subtle Trans Am interior mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool. I am liking the black *****.. I might have to do this now. How hard was it to do the sterring control *****?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Nice touches. BTW, those little cubby holes werent exclusive to just camaros tho.. My TA came with a cubby hole (as did every f-body from 97-02 without TCS)
See, I didnt know that lol. Every Trans Am or Formula Ive ever seen in person has that TCS plaque... thats like.. 100s of them... all with the TCS plaque lol.

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Very cool. I am liking the black *****.. I might have to do this now. How hard was it to do the sterring control *****?
Verrrrry easy. In fact after I swapped mine out, I gave Amy my old ones because hers were crapping out on her. Went to her work, swapped them out in like... a minute or two lol.

If you see Amy and I at a cruise night and you havent done this yet, Ill show you.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:19 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice. I'm in the process of swapping out the grey ***** / switches as well.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sharp.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:34 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
looks good its funny how all the bird owners love the birds but keep taking parts from the camaros to make the birds look better hahaha. looks good man. like you said nice and subtle. but looks clean
So the ***** are better in a camaro, that hardly compares to the seats or dash or doors in a trans am. I've never seen a transam with a camaro dash, or seats, or door skins.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I did this on my old trans am as well . I used the camaro power window and door lock switches as well ...they are slightly smaller , but it doesnt look bad . I did have to mask off the little white arrows on the power mirror button and paint that to match though , same deal with the fog light switch , I had to paint to match . I can post pics of mine if its alright with you , I dont post my stuff in your thread unless your cool with it .
Old 11-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT4vert
I did this on my old trans am as well . I used the camaro power window and door lock switches as well ...they are slightly smaller , but it doesnt look bad . I did have to mask off the little white arrows on the power mirror button and paint that to match though , same deal with the fog light switch , I had to paint to match . I can post pics of mine if its alright with you , I dont post my stuff in your thread unless your cool with it .
Go for it. I was interested in doing the same thing with the rest of the buttons in the car, I just wasnt sure how to go about it.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

I would like to see this as well. Oh and OP, my Formula doesn't have TCS either so I got the little cubby. That's where I put my Iphone when its pluged in. It's wierd my car has every other option except the WS6 package but no TCS, which I look at as a good thing.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

very clean mod... when i first saw the pic i was like what did he do... haha i didnt realize it was a trans am... but yeah all that grey **** was outta place.... i like what you did it is very clean, now when people look at your car see how long it takes them to realize that you changed all that, if they even realize it... lol

edit: the radio in the trans am n such are
Old 11-06-2009, 05:09 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Yeah, I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I just bought a pair of black steering wheel switches. How is everyone hooking them back up? My GM manual says to pull the air bag to free up the wires.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Yeah, I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I just bought a pair of black steering wheel switches. How is everyone hooking them back up? My GM manual says to pull the air bag to free up the wires.
Does the manual recommend pulling a fuse or something for the airbag? I am a little concerned with the dang thing blowing...

I just swapped the ***** from my Camaro to the TA, nice touch.

Last edited by Raleigh TA; 11-07-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks a heck of a lot better than the stock grey controls on the 00-02 Ebony interior.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Perfect name for this thread, I did this on my LT1 with the ***** from the LT1 Camaro and it's subtle but looks and feels a little better. I'm not sure but I think the LS1 ***** have a slightly different mounting depth?
Old 11-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
about a year ago I took out my wheel switches to solder in a new LEDs with out pulling the air bag.. it IS a lil tight but you can get a jewelers screwdriver and just pull to max length and beable to press the tab the release the lock for the connector.. putting them back in is kinda tricky but reletively simple. Just get in the backside of the harness inbetween the wires and shove it back in to the connector slot of the switch. the jewelers screwdriver will be your friend in this lil endevor.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Creed420
the jewelers screwdriver will be your friend in this lil endevor.
I swapped a set a few years ago, and found a paint can opener to be just right to both release the clip and pull the control out. I think this time I'll pull the airbag, it seems much easier.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Just disconnect the battery.Undo the two bolts in back of the steering wheel.Unplug the airbag and remove it.I was afraid of that airbag also.Once the battery is disconnected there is no threat of it going off.I have done it a couple of times.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:16 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Yeah, I read that to pull the airbag, you simply pull the airbag fuse, then key on for 2-3 minutes to fully discharge the circuit, then it's two T-30 torx screws and the airbag is off. I think that's the easier route to go than to try and fit a jewelers screw driver back there.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Easier and less chance to damage the steering wheel or connectors.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Here are the pics of my conversion I did on my old TA . To avoid alot of questions . The steering wheel is from a 2001 Grand prix , the radio controls are from a 2004 Bonneville GXP ( they switched to black controls that year n still had red backlight ) . YES, I did have to change the upper steering shaft to use the steering wheel . The spined hole int he new steering wheels are smaller . The upper shaft was from a 2004 Grand Prix steering column and it swapped over perfectly to the OEM f-body column . It was a NIGHTMARE , lol . If u do this take LOTS of pictures of how everything came apart , its confusing . The smaller shaft will allow to run a c5 or c6 steering wheel , as wheel as the newer 3 spoke wheels . And yes this 01 GP steering rim was FAT . I used the airbag , but on this particular design , you can simply unbolt the inflator from the airbag , which was nice ...that inflator is heavy . I did it for the reason of havinga fatter rim and because I wanted it looking OEM . The radio is double din , in dash 6-CD changer radio from a 03 VIBE ( Lots of fab work there ) The Vibe radio doesnt use class2 serial data . This is the ONLY radio like this in GM's delco line that doesnt , this same radio when in the Grand Prix's and other Pontiacs DID have class 2 electronics and will not power up with a 12 volt signal .

Last edited by LT4vert; 11-07-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:58 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Here are the pics of my conversion I did on my old TA . To avoid alot of questions . The steering wheel is from a 2001 Grand prix , the radio controls are from a 2004 Bonneville GXP ( they switched to black controls that year n still had red backlight ) . YES, I did have to change the upper steering shaft to use the steering wheel . The spined hole int he new steering wheels are smaller . The upper shaft was from a 2004 Grand Prix steering column and it swapped over perfectly to the OEM f-body column . It was a NIGHTMARE , lol . If u do this take LOTS of pictures of how everything came apart , its confusing . The smaller shaft will allow to run a c5 or c6 steering wheel , as wheel as the newer 3 spoke wheels . And yes this 01 GP steering rim was FAT . I used the airbag , but on this particular design , you can simply unbolt the inflator from the airbag , which was nice ...that inflator is heavy . I did it for the reason of havinga fatter rim and because I wanted it looking OEM . The radio is double din , in dash 6-CD changer radio from a 03 VIBE ( Lots of fab work there ) The Vibe radio doesnt use class2 serial data . This is the ONLY radio like this in GM's delco line that doesnt , this same radio when in the Grand Prix's and other Pontiacs DID have class 2 electronics and will not power up with a 12 volt signal .

WOW, quite the impressive list of mods you did. Very nicely done.

Quick Reply: Stupid, yet subtle Trans Am interior mods