Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Water Spots! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, that kinda happened to my car but not as bad. i wasnt even worried about it till now. looks like im going to go out and take my buffer to it to see if this same **** happened to my car.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
Thanks for the .02 but..
Nope and Nope again...

Like stated the sprinkler misted my car. The water formed into beads, evaporated and left mineral deposits.

I did hours of washing/claying/treating/buffing + an hour of Acid treatment in the shade... NOTHING..

When I run my finger nail over the spots there is no difference in texture between paint and spots..

My guess is this is some sort of sulfer/iron deposit baked into the paint..

Are there any professional detailers with experience on this in the house?
I'm actually better than 99% of the detailers I know of. Ummm, without seeing your deal in person, its a little difficult. I suggest you go and buy some car wash soap from a store somewhere, get a orange colored sponge put extra soap in the bucket, fill with water and wash the car one evening when the sun is almost down. Rinse it really good and get a really good absorbant cloth to dry it with. Check it out really good.

If that does not work go get some cleaner wax. If not that then try some rubbing compound.

I had some stubborn spots on my paint from the corrosive **** in the megquiar's chrome wheel cleaner. My car was wet and I had just got done washing it. Well I started spraying my wheel cleaner on my wheels and the wind was not blowing. I hosed them off. Then I went to dry off the car. Well after the 2nd time of this cycle I figured out that the wheel cleaner was getting in the water beads on my paint and made these horrible super stobborn water spots on my paint. Clay bar didn't even phase it. I think a really good washing, rinsing, and drying is what did the trick. Maybe you'll get lucky. Try cleaner wax... It gets hard-to-get kinda stuff out too. If not that buff with a rubbing compound. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

this is a scary thing, same thing happened to me afew years ago to my 68 bird, all I did was rinse the car in the garage, the water beads left spots that I never could get out, so now I panic a little when there's moisture around, crazy thing is I'm not fussy at all with my pickup and never seen spots on it. ???????
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can get the spots out with a cutting compound and a DA but the next morning the spots grow back... I dont get it..
Old 09-29-2009, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

I've heard washing your car with a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar will remove water spots,but you have to wax the car after.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

op, I had a customers black bmw with what looks like the same problem. I had to work the paint with a wheel and compound to get out the water spots. Its a lot of work and dangerous for the untrained, but I got results. If you are going to have to repaint it, you may want to try.

(I'm assuming this isn't the standard GM paint problem with the clear coat actually opening up exposing the paint.)
Old 12-14-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

very common. sprinklers, mostly in the cities, have minerals in the water to keep it clean. these minerals stain paint. the best method for removal is to buy a porter cable, some pad, and a light cutting polish that will basically just trim off the top layer of clear coat to remove the spots. i have done this many times. nothing with your hand is going to do the trick.

btw it sounds bad but doesn't actually hurt your car at all. you are removing a very thin layer of clear coat and would literally have to spend hours in one spot to go completely through the clear coat. use a porter cable, not a rotary though, as the porter cable applies even pressure no matter how unevenly you press down on it. a rotary can easily eat through the clear coat if you don't know what you're doing.

in the future if you have to park next to sprinklers, either park far enough back in the spot to avoid their spray, or park so close to them that the sprinkler opens up under your fender so it doesn't spray on the paint.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

skimmed quick and didn't see it. If they are fresh spots, 50/50 water and vinegar. Use like quick detailer in a spray bottle after its been washed, then wash it again to get rid of the vinegar smell. works like a charm for me.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had some really stubborn water makes last year and used some SIP and a orange pad on my DA and they can right out. Took a little work but my was spotless once again.

Quick Reply: Water Spots! HELP!!