Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Installed "Custom" Plate Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hows everyones LED license plate lights holding up??

I got mine on ebay about two months ago... half of the leds are dead already... go figure lol.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Yes sir

I've tried the auto zone lights, they sucked lol. Surprisingly, I haven't gotten anything bad. But oh man, the looks are priceless LOL. I was at a car show, and I backed into a spot between two Foxbody's, with both the owners sitting together behind the cars. I got out and just smiled.. Their cars looked stock so they didn't say a thing, just stared at me LOL.

If I was ever doing anything THAT bad at night, I'd turn the lights off.

Off Topic: How do you turn your lights off? On my SS at night if the car is on then the lights are on. My silverado had a dome override switch that would turn off the twilight sensor but i cant find it or figure it out on my ss.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine for over a year and a half and they're all still good. Guess it depends on where you get them from.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
Off Topic: How do you turn your lights off? On my SS at night if the car is on then the lights are on. My silverado had a dome override switch that would turn off the twilight sensor but i cant find it or figure it out on my ss.
I believe that is it is different for Camaros than Trans Ams. I believe on Trans Ams, their headlights are manually operated because the headlight actually moves up and down, where as ours obviously do not. There is a plug / connector behind the stereo headunit to unplug that will turn your automatic headlights into manual ones. I did it and love it. FYI, this will also keep the trunk light in the cluster from coming on if the trunk is open and may even prevent you from opening the trunk from inside the car in certain instances.

I'd recommend a search for the write up that shows where the plug / connector is that is behind the stereo head unit that allows you to turn your automatic headlights into manual ones. I tried a search but couldn't find anything.

Last edited by jdoyle; 01-19-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks pretty good, but now cops can see your plate at night for sure ;]
Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

in NJ they would probably bust ur chops bc its to bright def nice though
Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoyle
I believe that is it is different for Camaros than Trans Ams. I believe on Trans Ams, their headlights are manually operated because the headlight actually moves up and down, where as ours obviously do not. There is a plug / connector behind the stereo headunit to unplug that will turn your automatic headlights into manual ones. I did it and love it. FYI, this will also keep the trunk light in the cluster from coming on if the trunk is open and may even prevent you from opening the trunk from inside the car in certain instances.

I'd recommend a search for the write up that shows where the plug / connector is that is behind the stereo head unit that allows you to turn your automatic headlights into manual ones. I tried a search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks, I hang with a less than notable crowd from time to time and itd be nice to be able to kill my lights as to not raise suspicion.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found the link to disable your DRLs, which turns your auto headlights into manual ones.

http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
Old 01-22-2010, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

I just did this Last Week on my T/A as well.. Went to VatoZone and got the 2 strips with 6 in each.. Did the Rear Tag Light and Replaced the Interior Dome Light with the Other Strip..Looks Good and it really lit up the interior.. Now i gotta do my Map Lights!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to jump on the bandwagon and do this myself. I bought the 9" flexible strip and just used double sided molding tape to attach it. As mentioned, makes it look modern. I like it, thanks for the idea. Now I just need a custom plate. I was thinking of putting a switch on it so I could turn it off if need be. I also went ahead and got LED reverse lights to help brighten it up some.

Quick Reply: Installed "Custom" Plate Light