Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Are 97 Firebird headlight the same as 98-02?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are 97 Firebird headlight the same as 98-02?

I was looking into getting HID's for my 98 but i ran into two problems

1. I dont want to blind traffic in another lane

2. The stock bulbs arn't removable

So i was looking at these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-97...Q5fAccessories

They are projectors so it would focus it in front of me

And also they have removable H4 bulbs so i could by my HID kit and pop whatever crap it comes with out and put them in

My 98 is 4" x 6" depending on how you measure them, i mean im pretty sure they arn't 3 7/8 by 5 7/8.

Anyways would those fit? Are they not going to work cause man are they cheap? ECT. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly, those aren't even really projectors. But the reason you can't "just remove the bulb," is because it's a 'sealed beam housing.' Meaning the whole thing is sealed, the bulb is sealed inside. You have an LT1 Bird? I'm pretty sure the housings are a different size from LS1 Birds.. but I'm not sure because I've never owned one. But what you can do, is this:

My HID Writeup (no projectors):
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-trans-am.html

Pretty much do the same steps. Email Eurolights, and ask them which housing you should get for your 1997 Firebird/Trans Am, and ask if you can order them without any bulbs, since you would be putting HIDs in them. Then, go to google, type in "ebay seller supervtec." Click the first link, then in his item list type "Super slim HID." Pick any of those, then just add a note/message when you buy them that you want an H7 kit, and what temperature you want.

The only other difference for my writeup and an LT1 is that I'm sure the fog lights are probably a different number.

Your other option.. is to get fancy and fabricate your own projectors. There are SEVERAL examples of this in the https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
Old 10-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Teching In

I have a 98 not a 97, the ones i was looking at on ebay were a 97 but it seems like from other threads 97's are deeper so they wont work.

So since you have a 98 you're telling me there's no way i can do this without buying a set from eurolamp.com? No baking in the oven and separating or any tricks?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my mistake. If you have a 98 then yes, there is one other way you can do it. Do the same steps for buying that HID kit, I really recommend that seller and his products. I have seen several threads of people taking apart the back of the stock housings, and pulling the bulb out of the sealed housing. I don't remember 100% how they got TO the bulb, a lot of dremel's and drilling i'm sure. Then, they would sit the HID bulb into the housing, and seal it in with sealant. It's the cheap way, but I could also see some problems with it myself.

A few being, that if the bulb position is off, it's already sealed in the housing, you can't adjust it. And if for any reason it blows, you can't just take the bulb out and replace it. You'd have to cut through all the sealant.

I really like the conversion housings from Eurolamp's because it gives the same "bolt-on" effect. But you can obviously do whatever you feel is most comfortable. There may be some cheap conversion housings on ebay, but I can't recommend their quality.

^^All that info is for putting an HID kit into a reflector housing. It's not technically the right way to do it, because it produces a bit of glare. Like I said, if you want the BEST you can get out of your car, you could do an HID retrofit. Which would involve buying projectors, HID's specifically for those projectors, and fabricating a way to mount them to your car. The choice is yours!

edit: Member "VIP1" is VERY useful for HID Retrofit info and pretty much anything having to do with lighting. I'm sure he'll chime in for you later as well.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Okay i think im going to go with projectors then since the eurolamps would basically cost me $70 anyways and then have to spend another $50 or whatever on HID's i might as well just buy some projectors i can retro fit.

Don't suppose anyone can suggest some projectors with angel eyes

Edit: So more less i find a pair of HID projectors, cut a piece of lexan, paint lexan black, mount light to lexan, mount lexan to car, connect wiring and done? Then while im driving it decide how im going to make a cover for it? Anything common things i have to worry about like the projector and bulb set up being to deep ect?

And when you say buy HIDs specifically made for those projectors, are you talking about the socket size like 880 or can i not get a pair of say

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TSX-R...Q5fAccessories

Then get the corresponding size of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...=p4506.c0.m245

Last edited by Michigan BlckBrd; 10-03-2009 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Are 97 Firebird headlight the same as 98-02?