Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Blue Gauges LEDs problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheHawk23
how did you make the mileage screen blue with white numbers? looks really good
My guess is it's blue with blue letters, the flash just made it look white. I did the same thing to mine. You pop the cluster open, break it down to where the LCD for the ODO is and there's 3 little SMD LED's in little white housings. The way I did it was desolder the 3 stock LED's and solder in 2 3mm blue LED's. A bit tough to do as space is tight, but very worth it.

Here's mine:
Old 10-11-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBADaSS02
I forget the exact reason, but I think it has to do with red & blue having different wavelengths of the spectrum. Blue will not light up red and vice versa. I used white leds in my cluster. The white leds light up both the blue and the red needles. The picture sucks. They are more blue in person.
i did the same exact thing as you, turned out just the same... i wish it wasn't quite as blue, but oh well. no problems seeing anything here.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/ho...=detail&id=729

Just install one of these kits and have super bright needles regardless of anything else.

From the website;
Glow Gauge Needles Kit

* Mini ultra bright LEDs.
* Unique custom look.
* Compatible for all vehicles with lexan based needles.
* Brightness is adjustable with a dimmer switch.
* Installation instructions included, professional installation required.
* Factory needles are used with this kit. New needles are not included.

This kit will fit the following
Needle Variations
1 Large Needle & 2 Small
2 Large Needles & 2 Small
2 Large Needles & 3 Small
2 Large Needles & 4 Small
2 Large Needles & 5 Small

Lexan needles are needles that glow at night from your lights behind the gauges. Non-lexan needles do not glow at night. 80% of the vehicles that were manufactured after 1990 have lexan based needles. 95% of the vehicles manufactured after 2000 have lexan based needles. This kit is installed underneath of your factory needles and provides an ultra bright light which makes the needles glow from your old dull color to the new ultra bright color. The kit is powered by a 12 volt system.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lotus289
My guess is it's blue with blue letters, the flash just made it look white.
Actually there was no flash on in that pic, it really was white letters with a blueish tint around the numbers. I really liked the way it looked but it was out of place with everything else blue so I changed it out to a blue led.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nightmarechevy
Depends on the year of your car. Mine is a 98 so it just had a red light diffuser behind the odometer and a 168 bulb behind it on the cluster circuit board. I replaced the bulb with one of my blue 5 smd leds and removed the red diffuser and cut my own clear diffuser to the same size and replaced it. On the newer clusters there is an led soldered to the actual odometer circuit board that you have to desolder and replace with a blue led. Mine was a white 5 smd led in the first pics but replaced it later with blue. Let me know if you need anymore info and I'll get some more pics.
do u know what kind of led is soldered to the odometer circuit board in the 2002 models?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I found a write up for the newer models here:
http://www.ledgauges.com/id26.html

I haven't done one of those odometers yet but it looks like they just pulled off the red smd leds and soldered in a few 3mm leds.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

These are the SMD LED's that are on the stock ODO. You need to desolder all 3 of them then solder 2 3mm LED's (of whatever color you want) into the outer two spots. And a bit of advice, mark the stock SMD LED's so you know which side is which, then put 3V to them to find out which is (+) and which is (-). That way the new LED's get soldered down in the right orientation so you don't have to take it apart a second time to fix it.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Razor_back
I see why it's not lighting up now. I used these bulbs:

I should have used these:

I'll see if I can send them back and swap them out.

I'm using the same WLED xHP6 LEDs, and I have NO problems! I'm actually almost done with my preliminary tests on different needles I'm going to start manufacturing to fix this very problem.

Do you by any changes have 6LE overlays? Here's my cluster with my new improvments.

Last edited by Sommer86; 10-19-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate you Camaro guys, I'm stuck with crappy red Pontiac gauges unless I want to fork out $280 for a new gauge overlay setup..
Old 10-18-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Find a Camaro guy that upgraded to an aftermarket overlay and pick up their factory one.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Mine's a 98 not sure which ones would fit. But that is a great idea...
Old 10-18-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spaz1
I hate you Camaro guys, I'm stuck with crappy red Pontiac gauges unless I want to fork out $280 for a new gauge overlay setup..
where do you get 280 from? an overlay like Sommers is 200 bucks and the bulbs are around 35. a basic overlay. the needles are still in R&D, him and i are the only ones with them so far
Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

here is the custom setup I had made up for my SS/SC Cobalt... It matches my autometer Cobalt gauges. I am running the same boost and wideband in my a piller. And would like it to match. This is what the Cobalt looked like.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nightmarechevy
Depends on the year of your car. Mine is a 98 so it just had a red light diffuser behind the odometer and a 168 bulb behind it on the cluster circuit board. I replaced the bulb with one of my blue 5 smd leds and removed the red diffuser and cut my own clear diffuser to the same size and replaced it. On the newer clusters there is an led soldered to the actual odometer circuit board that you have to desolder and replace with a blue led. Mine was a white 5 smd led in the first pics but replaced it later with blue. Let me know if you need anymore info and I'll get some more pics.
Good Info. Were did you get the diffuser material?
Is it like the clear film you could get at a Hobby Supply store?

Does anyone know if Ultra-Violet LED's have ever been tried in the gauge cluster or interior?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Unik1Hawk

Does anyone know if Ultra-Violet LED's have ever been tried in the gauge cluster or interior?
my UV LEDs arrived Friday so they'll go in sometime this week.... Along with my new custom neon blue needles.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Unik1Hawk
I'm sure you could get it at a hobby store but I never went to look. I had a few extra square electroluminescent night light things so I tore one apart and was able to cut the diffuser film from it down to size to use. As long as it transfers light pretty evenly you should be ok.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

They make needles to replace the stock ones. It's more to wire up, but will help overall for needle appearance. Another option that I have done is use the Camaro reverse overlays. They light up blue, keep all stock bulbs in tack and you get best of both worlds. Red needles with blue numbers. Worked out perfect in my Firehawk, though I did have to look at Camaro gauges afterwards, lol
Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sommer86
I'm using the same WLED xHP6 LEDs, and I have NO problems! I'm actually almost done with my preliminary tests on different needles I'm going to start manufacturing to fix this very problem.

Do you by any changes have 6LE overlays? Here's my cluster with my new improvments.

No I still have the stock overlay. I think part of it is the blue led's won't light up the red needles. I think I'll go with white led's next time too. I've still got the blue one if anyone wants them.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Razor_back
No I still have the stock overlay. I think part of it is the blue led's won't light up the red needles. I think I'll go with white led's next time too. I've still got the blue one if anyone wants them.
I think the blue trying to light the orange needles is the biggest problem. Light wants to take the easiest path possible. The fact that the needles are orange just change the strength of the color passing through it. This is also why my UV bulbs didnt work...they didn't put out enough light strength.

Just FYI, the reason my needles have a blue tint to them is because I chose "cool white" over "natural white" The "cool white" looks good throught the overlay, but the absolute clearness of the needle shows it real color, a lightblue hue.

My neon needles are going in next for a trial. (Here's a 1st sneak peek....and these pics dont do them justice)

Last edited by Sommer86; 10-27-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sommer, what needles are you using to make your custom set? The stock needles in my 98 Z28 appear to be red tinted plastic rather than clear plastic with red paint.

Quick Reply: Blue Gauges LEDs problem