Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How can you tell a factory OEM WS6 hood from the others?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How can you tell a factory OEM WS6 hood from the others?

Thank you to all that can help. Tomorrow I am possibly going to look at a WS6 hood at a good price but I am in need of some info. I am only interested in getting an original factory OEM hood since they are the nicest fitting out there. But I don't know how to tell the difference.

I assume it will have a GM logo and a part number stamped somewhere, but I don't know where it would be. The owner is not sure if it is real or not. He said it came from a donor car, which may make it a good possibility that it is a real deal. Anyone have any pics of what to look for? I would like to save a trip if it isn't real.

thank you for any help

mark jr.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think it has a part number anywhere. I know that usually the ram air ducts on the aftermarket hoods are a rectangular shape where the heat extractors are compared to a factory hood. Theyre starting to change that though, alot of them look like factory though. My OEM hood doesnt like up exactly, none of the F bodies were dead on though.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the input. I was hoping for a difinitive thing to look for since I have none to compare that hood to. Oh well, I will forget about it and make my car faster, let someone else buy it..

thanks

mark jr.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

that is a good question.i wish i knew
Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Its heavier
Old 10-16-2009, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The underneath is painted and cleared, most people who buy aftermarkets aren't. There is also a number etched into it on one of the cross supports (I think it is the one on the left, but I don't remember).
Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as far as i know all aftermarket hoods are composite materials, whether they be fiberglass, duraflex, carbon fiber etc.... so they are light. thats how you tell
Old 10-17-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
The underneath is painted and cleared, most people who buy aftermarkets aren't. There is also a number etched into it on one of the cross supports (I think it is the one on the left, but I don't remember).
Now this is the info I was looking for. I knew that there had to be something stamped or etched or something on a GM hood. But I don't know anyone around me that has a real one anyway to look closely at. Oh well, It's been a week since the add was put up, I am sure it's gone. I don't really need it anyways, I would rather put that $$ into my 6.0l build.

The deal with one being lighter than the other poses a problem. What's an OEM one weigh? I don't have a bunch of hood to compare, so I can't go by that.

But if someone had a pic of the numbers, or difinitive things to look at, this should be something to post in a sticky so people don't get burned w/ aftermarket -vs- OEM. Some WS6 hoods I can just tell they are aftermarket because they look like ****, scoop wise and fitment. OEM hoods on all real deal WS6's, just fit so nicely.

thanks for your help

mark jr.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
Now this is the info I was looking for. I knew that there had to be something stamped or etched or something on a GM hood. But I don't know anyone around me that has a real one anyway to look closely at. Oh well, It's been a week since the add was put up, I am sure it's gone. I don't really need it anyways, I would rather put that $$ into my 6.0l build.

The deal with one being lighter than the other poses a problem. What's an OEM one weigh? I don't have a bunch of hood to compare, so I can't go by that.

But if someone had a pic of the numbers, or difinitive things to look at, this should be something to post in a sticky so people don't get burned w/ aftermarket -vs- OEM. Some WS6 hoods I can just tell they are aftermarket because they look like ****, scoop wise and fitment. OEM hoods on all real deal WS6's, just fit so nicely.

thanks for your help

mark jr.
its noticeable. an aftermarket weighs around 15 pounds. you can tell
Old 10-17-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn Im about to swap out my OEM for an aftermarket if theyre that much lighter. I couldnt believe how heavy the OEM hood is when I took it off to respray it.

Quick Reply: How can you tell a factory OEM WS6 hood from the others?