Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Back in the Saddle: My Minimalistic Daily Driver Project SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had no idea you sold that clean GTO you had either. Good to see you picked up a new toy to mess around with to keep you busy though...being without is no fun when you're as into the hobby as we are.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today was a productive day...

Got two new tires mounted and balanced (moot point, ordered new wheels and tires)

Basic canned tune flashed in for emissions, part throttle, and full throttle...dyno tune to come in a few weeks once I get a few more things sorted out (car feels MUCH better now though, can't wait til it's dialed in to the car)

Installed WS6Store short stick (much shorter throw), Trans Am gauge cluster bezel (looks great), and SLP lid (already had K&N filter)

Descreened stock MAF and gutted the stock lower airbox, and removed a lot of other unnecessary plastic in the way of more air getting in

Recent aquisitions yet to arrive and/or be installed...

New wheels and tires (I'll wait til they come in and I get pictures, but they're a set of staggered 19s with fat lips)

LS6 intake and ported/polished throttle body

Subframe connectors (can't believe the car is as solid as it is for not having them, but it'll definitely help firm the car up)

Still to do...

Gut stock cats, redo the after-muffler part of the exhaust into two turndowns just above the rear bumper line so that you don't see any tips from the rear, hate tips of any kind on Camaros (save CMEs, but I'm not dishing out that kind of money for tips right now, maybe later)

Lowering springs and upgraded shocks/struts (going to remove one coil all around the right way with Bilstein HDs valved for the springs, should drop the car while maintaining close to stock ride quality and give a slight bump in handling too)

HIDs

Little detailing stuff here and there
Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 PM

Also forgot to mention I have a Harlan shift light (red LED) that I need to install, either on top of the steering column more in the sight line, or over in the a-pillar vent like it was in my old Trans Am for a cleaner install but not in such a direct line of sight.

And I want to get the RedlineGoods charcoal shifter boot (shortened for the short stick) and e-brake boot, both with red stitching.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Minimalistic huh? Most people don't get that much done over the course of a year. haha. You jumped right on it. Good luck with it and don't forget some "after" pics.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking car, congrats and welcome!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 PM

Welcome? Check the join date DaddySS, I've been around Tech since Tech has been around (looks like you have too). Looks like you've got the same platform I do (Onyx/Ebony M6 SS), just vert form. I would have loved to have had a vert, but with it being a daily I ruled verts out.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:13 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, I'm behind... Didn't know about the GTO going away or the truck coming and going. Now I'll probably really sound out of the loop and ask what happened to the LT1 Trans-Am???

This car, like all your cars, is already clean and mean
Old 10-23-2009, 07:13 AM

Yeah I didn't post up much about any of it. Here is the basic rundown.

Sold the red Trans Am to get the GTO because I wanted something more comfy to daily drive.

Bought the white LT1 WS6 because I missed having an F-Body and wanted something fun to bang gears in again. Decided I didn't need an extra car note and that the LT1 life really wasn't me so I sold it to a guy on here from Chicago.

The GTO had to go because it was plummeting in value as I said. Traded it in on the truck because I figured I was buying a house this year and needed something practical.

A month into dull truck ownership I bought a 2001 Honda CBR600F4i, my first bike, to have fun on. Kept it for six months, bought my house, then sold the bike to buy a 55" and 42" LCD and some furniture for the house.

So then I was back down to only the truck, which sucked, and I hated making the payment on it, so I started hunting for a few different fun cars and decided I wanted another F-Body, but only if it was a Camaro SS. I lucked up and found this one-owner gem locally. I've had three people see it so far since I got it and cleaned it up and nobody can believe it has 101,000 miles on it. They all say it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. I was really impressed with how good of shape it was in. Can't wait for the wheels to come in next week.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Banned

Actually, now I remember the LT1 sale !
Old 10-24-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Screw cutting the springs, that's horrible and uncharacteristically ghetto for you. Do the Konis with the heater hose mod and call the suspension done.

You know, if you want more power and still be stock as far as reliability, throw some ported 243s and a Z06 cam in there. You COULD always put an LS3 in there...

I bet you miss those GTO seats...
Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

prop's on the new ride man, looks nice and clean!
Old 10-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Launching!

really nice clean car
Old 10-24-2009, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Screw cutting the springs, that's horrible and uncharacteristically ghetto for you. Do the Konis with the heater hose mod and call the suspension done.

You know, if you want more power and still be stock as far as reliability, throw some ported 243s and a Z06 cam in there. You COULD always put an LS3 in there...

I bet you miss those GTO seats...
I used to think the same thing too. It's really not ghetto though. It's a misconception that cutting springs is a bad thing. There is a right way and a wrong way. One of the chief engineers of the F-Body suspension even endorses it, although he only says to cut one coil only. I cut a little more than that, but I'm also removing the bumpstops and modifying the upper strut mounts to maintain suspension travel. For what I'm using this particular car for I actually want to maintain the stock ride quality, but I'd prefer a bit more in the way of control and handling (which is why I'm upgrading the shocks). I've had Konis on the stock springs, and this setup will effectively ride the same (I'll just be modifying the upper shock mount in front and changing bumpstops all around to maintain suspension travel). I think I'll be able to have the car riding just as good as my old stock spring/Koni setup and handling at least half as good for 1/8th the cost.

I've definitely thought about doing heads and a Z06 cam. But that'll be down the road. Already looking into seat replacement options too. The 6LE seats with red stitching would go really nicely with my RedlineGoods boots with red stitching.

Last edited by josh99ta; 10-25-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:02 PM

Harlan shift light is in the a-pillar vent, HIDs came in but I haven't had time to install them yet (low beams and fogs), and the wheels show up tomorrow. Ordered DMS springs today, have shocks on the way already, as well as a panhard rod. It's coming on along.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:45 PM

My Afternoon Adventure: Cutting Springs (w/ Pics) - LS1TECH

Cut some springs, did a little write-up. Already have upgraded shocks on the way. I've also got some lowering springs on the way, and I'm going to compare them to the cut stock springs. Depending on the ride quality and handling it will determine which direction I go. If the lowering springs work out well I'll just keep them on. If they ride like crap, even if they handle better, I'll just modify my front strut mounts and replace my bumpstops all around to maintain the stock-length of suspension travel on the modified stock springs. We'll see how it pans out.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Harlan shift light is in the a-pillar vent, HIDs came in but I haven't had time to install them yet (low beams and fogs), and the wheels show up tomorrow. Ordered DMS springs today, have shocks on the way already, as well as a panhard rod. It's coming on along.
hey, let me know info on that hid kit when you get it installed and how you like it. I'm debating on getting one myself on my car was wanting to know your opinion.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:23 AM

Will do. I went with DDM I think it is. A few long-time reputable members here recommended them. I was leary of putting HIDs in non-projector housings, but after studying up on the Camaro headlight design features I feel confident I won't be blinding people. I won't have the great cutoff that a quality projector has for sure, but I don't think it'll be any worse than the cheap projector housings offered on ebay. We'll see though.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:48 PM

The new wheels and tires are in and on. I thought they'd look good, but they look way better than good IMO. I was pleasantly surprised, especially for what I paid. The tradeoff is that the wheels are a little on the heavy side, and the tires aren't my first choice. Call me crazy, but taking into consideration maintenance, cleaning, and overall look these are already the favorite set of wheels I've ever owned on any car I've had, including the CCWs on the GTO (maintenance was a PITA and the constant worry of theft or damage wasn't all it was cracked up to be on a daily driver car). Overall I couldn't be happier.

Sneak peak late night garage shoot pictures.

Staggered w/ fat lips (2.5" front, 3.5" rear)

Hypersilver face finish with brushed aluminum lips, nice contrast and easier cleaning since it's a daily

Some of my favorite things in this picture: the SS, my beer fridge, and my golf clubs, LOL

High profile shot, good angle to see the staggered fit of the front and rear lips

Full shoot to come as soon as I get the time to do so, probably this weekend or sometime next week.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Banned

Are the wheels RUFFs? Sorry if I missed it somewhere, just didn't see the name...
Old 10-26-2009, 08:55 PM

Sorry, I didn't list it. I'll be perfectly honest, cheap wheels aren't my thing, but these don't look cheap at all in person. They'd look a bit more baller if the lips were fully polished, but then again it would be more of a PITA to keep up on a daily driver. I've already got black paint to deal with. I can't have wheels that need a ton of attention too.

Wheels are 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 RPM 505s. I've always liked the HP Lighting/HP Evo wheels on F-Bodies, and always loved 19s on F-Bodies too, but wasn't so found of the fake "rivets" on the Lightnings. When I saw these and how they were nearly identical to the Lightnings, minus the fake buttons, and then saw the price, I couldn't pass it up. Amazing looks, but don't cost a fortune. Perfect for a daily driver car IMO.

Quick Reply: Back in the Saddle: My Minimalistic Daily Driver Project SS