Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best Car Cover

Looking for the best car cover for the outdoors.

My car will be sitting in a carport most of the winter. I want to get a good cover to keep it from getting trashed.

What's the best out there?
Old 12-10-2003, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up this one from Pep Boys:
http://www.carcoverworld.com/Frames....stom.asp?CID=4

I like it. Destroyed one trailering my car 2400 miles from Cincy to SanFran (that's rough on a car cover - better the cover that the clearcoat) so I bought another. Also, the elastic keeps the cover secure if it gets breezy. The material is nice too. No swirls.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doesnt get much better than this LOL

http://store.yahoo.com/streamlinedis...OVMTC=standard
Old 12-10-2003, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

I like California Covers. Very nice, and it has never scratched my car.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I like any product from www.covercraft.com

I've had their custom indoor covers for years on many cars, but their outdoor stuff is nice too. The fit is PERFECT.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks guys!
Old 12-11-2003, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.coverking.com/CVC-G.html
Old 12-12-2003, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another vote for California covers.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:14 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another Cover Craft fan here.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, I'm looking at the California Car Covers... Is the "Stormweave" good or do I need the top of the line "Superweave"?
Old 12-12-2003, 08:29 PM
Humanitarian

Well this is how I see it. I had a Cover Craft cover that was equal in terms of material to the Stormweave. You MUST purchase the custom fit cover so it will fit and not flap around and scratch the car but the major downfall to this cover is when it rains.....the cover gets wet, soaks through and your car gets wet. It dries but when you take the cover off you want your cars paint to look like the cover stopped the water from even getting through. I am a hardcore detailer so after detailing my car, covering it and having the rain soak through it would make the paint look funny. It was very of aggrivaiting.

Think of a towel on your car, pour tons of water on it then remove the towel and let the water dry. It doesnt dry right and makes it look like the car was sitting in the outright rain.

However.... This Superweave cover seems to bead water off so in essence; your car wouldn't get a drip of water on it at all. Don't let this get you all hyped up though; my cover did not advertise that water would bead off but it did but only for a month or so. I don't know if they spray some sort of Scothgaurd product on the cover or if the specific layer that beads water is made of some high tech breathable plastic. Anything with pores will allow water through though so keep that in mind. You should really call them and find out if it is water proof or water repellent and find out if they take returns if you decide it's just not the right cover for you.

Someone stole my custom fit cover... it cost's me 190.00. I was VERY upset but now I have a storage bay. Spend whatever you have to in order to get a permanetly water proof (not water resistent) cover. Get the custom fit option and use a bungee cord on the holes in the cover to keep the material from flapping around on the sides (the cover is custom fit but since our cars are so long there is alot of fabric on the sides that has no way to "hug" itself onto the paint but there are holes on the bottom of the cover so you can use a bungee cord and hook it onto the subframe or water, just something so it wont flap around).

I had 3 covers, I've seen the worst and the best. Get the custom fit, water proof and use bungee cords. It may cost 190-250 up front but think of it this way. Your car is being protected like it is kept in doors and a garage cost 150.00+ each month!

I would go all out and get another car cover but there is no insurance that it will not be stolen. I had the cover locked (used a metal chain about 1 inch thick from each hole in the cover with two pad locks but someone was smart enough to cut the fabric around the hole so the chain was useless). Too many theives in South Boston.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Humanitarian

Oops, forgot to answer your question. Go with the Superweave if it is water proof.

Sorry about the long post ;-)
Old 12-12-2003, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell...I love the one I bought out of the Summit catalog for like 150 bucks, does a great job. Just my 2 cents

Wes