Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED's behind the instrument cluster??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LED's behind the instrument cluster??

Anyone done this?? Im tired of my yellow looking instrument cluster lights..Wanting to change the color to blue to match my headunit lights.

Any write ups or anything?? Pics are welcome as well
Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ummm did you even try searching? There has been quite a bit about this recently, like a couple threads with pages and pages of info. Just saying.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you have to remove the film on the stock overlays and then put blue LEDs in the back
Old 11-30-2009, 05:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sparkys right, try the search feature on here and you'll pull up a bunch of threads regarding this!

hitman, your wrong...at least regarding the Camaros! Only Trans Ams had the red film on the back of the gauge! So, OP, you can go different routes...just change out the stock bulbs with LED's if you want to keep your original gauge overlay! If not, you can get an overlay from various venders...especially on here!

-Justin
Old 11-30-2009, 05:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TooFastT/A
Sparkys right, try the search feature on here and you'll pull up a bunch of threads regarding this!

hitman, your wrong...at least regarding the Camaros! Only Trans Ams had the red film on the back of the gauge! So, OP, you can go different routes...just change out the stock bulbs with LED's if you want to keep your original gauge overlay! If not, you can get an overlay from various venders...especially on here!

-Justin
right, i should have specified that. to the op if you are going to go through all that trouble you might as well just get an overlay while you are at it. the leds are from super bright leds . com, part # is wLED xHP6
Old 11-30-2009, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks..search button was being stubborn but ive found a few threads regarding it now..Is anyone selling the entire kits anymore? Im looking to replace the lights behind the gauge cluster and all the lights that come on when you open up the doors.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO
Thanks..search button was being stubborn but ive found a few threads regarding it now..Is anyone selling the entire kits anymore? Im looking to replace the lights behind the gauge cluster and all the lights that come on when you open up the doors.
you just have to find what bulbs you need and then get the part number for the corresponding LED bulb
Old 12-01-2009, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

and the bulbs just plug straight in???
Old 12-01-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, but if they don't work, then you flip them around (LEDs work only one way, normal bulbs both ways)
Old 12-01-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO
and the bulbs just plug straight in???
yep, as stated flip them around if you get no light. should take you no more than 30 minutes
Old 12-01-2009, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

sweetness.. thanks
Old 12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

this is mine with cool white leds, the dark spots in the pics dont exist in person, the pic was taken on an i phone

Old 12-02-2009, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

I didnt have to remove any sort of film at all? Took half an hour and the biggest portion of that time was pulling out the gauge cluster past the steering wheel. I forgot where I got them, but it was simply a few blue LEDs with two prongs (one with a resistor) and detailed directions. And, as mentioned above, if you had any that 'didnt work,' you more than likely just have to flip it around. May wanna glue them in or something after you're certain they all are in the right way, because I had a loose one for awhile that flickered, but now its all good.

i like the white needles hitmanws6, i think i might steal that and incorporate into mine :-]
Attached Thumbnails LED's behind the instrument cluster??-08071535.jpg  
Old 12-02-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Looks good Goth, and the film thing has already been covered in this thread! The T/A Clusters ONLY, had the Red "film" on the back, The Camaros did not have this film.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Any idea how many bulbs there are of the xhp6?
Old 12-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Nice Mod !!! I like the blue one

How much was your kit ???

Old 12-02-2009, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Admittedly... I ignorantly pissed away about 30 dollars for an 'ebay kit' i probably could have thrown together for 5-10 bucks if I had done some research... I simply looked up 'LED dashboard Camaro' ...something like that on ebay and surely enough someone scored off my ignorance, lol... I keep hearing good things about www.superbrightleds.com, maybe you can get your own together off of that site and make sure you get proper resistors too, etc.

I'm not too savvy on exact part numbers though, sorry.

This is pretty close to what I got..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...Q5fAccessories

I suggest making your own kit though, and save some dough..

Also, I changed all my interior lights (map lights, dome, glove box, etc.) with cheap autozone replacements.

Again... It seems that LED site has replacements for those too. However, my dome light is a block of like 20? some odd LEDs with an adapter that plugs into the socket. I had to put a piece of plastic in there to prevent it from shorting out and after 'jerry-rigging' it, it looks good, regardless..
Old 12-02-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Trust me people, go to superbrightleds.com, I've been going through them for years and have recommended them to countless people on here for a long time! They are a great company and their LED's are top notch!

Here are some pics of my old '95 T/A's interior that I've used to promote them:

(And yes, the pics are blurry...sorry, shitty cam!)

Silver Faced Reverse EL Glow Gauge:

-Justin
Old 12-03-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GothMetalForever
I didnt have to remove any sort of film at all? Took half an hour and the biggest portion of that time was pulling out the gauge cluster past the steering wheel. I forgot where I got them, but it was simply a few blue LEDs with two prongs (one with a resistor) and detailed directions. And, as mentioned above, if you had any that 'didnt work,' you more than likely just have to flip it around. May wanna glue them in or something after you're certain they all are in the right way, because I had a loose one for awhile that flickered, but now its all good.

i like the white needles hitmanws6, i think i might steal that and incorporate into mine :-]
6LE has them on his site, my LT1 needles were a prototype set. LS1s are a whole different needle
Old 12-03-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

i went on the site and i cant find the right bulbs, can anyone link me to the page where the bulbs are? a pm would be helpful

Quick Reply: LED's behind the instrument cluster??