Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

few questions about the slp grill. ordering today

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default few questions about the slp grill. ordering today

I was wondering if the newer versions had to be screwed in. Im thinking that i just want to use double sided 3m tape if possible. if not its not a big deal.

Also i cant decide between the ss version or the bowtie version. I have an ss btw.

thanks for the input
Old 11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a bow tie grill in 05 and all I was givin to mount it was 3m double sided tape. I used the supplied tape and never had any problems with it.

Since you have an SS I would say to get the SS grill.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

where did you order your grill from? when i look at ws6store.com the description says that all hardware is supplied. which makes me think that it has the fasteners.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

I ordered the SLP SS grille in September. It came with 8 plastic press studs for mounting. The grille has 8 pre-drilled holes. I marked and drilled the 8 mounting holes in the fascia. It's a pretty simple install.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for you input. i wonder which one the ws6store is. im assuming the older version used 3m tape and the new ones have the push tabs.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^yea i just bought mine from LMPerformance and mine came with the 8 push tabs as well. just a heads up on the install, i would suggest marking two of the holes and drilling them. and once those two are drilled, install the grill with two of the pins into those holes. Then, with the grill perfectly in place where it will stay, drill the other 6 holes directly through the pre-drilled holes through the car. that way your drilled holes line up perfectly straight with pre drilled holes, so the push pins will have no problems going in,

i marked/drilled all of my holes like the directions stated, but when i installed the grill, after putting in a couple of the push pins, some of the remaining pins did not line up straight between the pre-drilled hole and the holes i drilled (the angles were slightly different), so they would not just push in, and if you try to force them it will mess up the alignment of the grill (the pins are very stiff, so they wont bend/flex to change angles to fit the holes if not lined up perfectly), and they are pretty hard to pull back out if they dont go in right. i ended up redrilling the last 4 or 5 holes while the grill was in place. when i was done i realized it would have been an easier install had i done it the way i suggested for you

Last edited by crimson_bird; 11-30-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the info. do the grills come with the push pins already installed on the grill or is it still possible to use the 3m tape is i wanted?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

no, the pins come in a seperate bag. same as the bowtie. you can just do the 3m tape, but i must say, i really like the push pins, i know that the grill isnt going anywhere, it's very secure. the only downside of them, is that i honestly think would be impossible to remove it if i ever needed to (without braking the facia itself), its that secure. but i dont plan on ever taking it off, so i'm good.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
thanks for the info. do the grills come with the push pins already installed on the grill or is it still possible to use the 3m tape is i wanted?
The pins are separate. I was thinking of using trim tape, but didn't like the look of the 'empty' mounting holes in the grille.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnS
The pins are separate. I was thinking of using trim tape, but didn't like the look of the 'empty' mounting holes in the grille.
yeah i decided to just order it and im going to stick with the push pins. thanks for the pictures and the help.

Quick Reply: few questions about the slp grill. ordering today