Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Brought my LT1 taillights back to life....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brought my LT1 taillights back to life....

When I got my car the taillights were no good, so I got some used ones from the JY but they were very dirty between the lens and the colored insert. So after a couple of years I finally decided to put them in the oven to take them apart.
Both lights had dried rust residue on the lens from the bulb sockets being on w/out an o-ring and water sitting inside them in the JY. The only pics I have of them installed from before are too far to show the rust detail. But heres a before shot.

Heres a before shot of the scratched up lens.

And heres after going over it with some 400, 800,1000 and 2000

Kinda hard to tell but the top one is the finished and bottom one was not sanded yet. I polished the with Meguair's aluminum polish and then with plastic polish and the some PlastiX polish. I also went ahead and removed the bird and the writing fom the filler panel.

Ill get some pics of final product installed as soon as the weather clears up. Thanks for stopping by....
Old 12-07-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice, I finally broke down and bought LS1 tails for my LT1... I had a thread and tech consensus was LS1 FTW. Since you took them apart I would suggest keeping them clear, without the red and add red LED's... that should make the LS1 guys jealous, cause they can't do that and it looks really good!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I thought about doing that but since my car is so dark I wanted to stick with something that wouldnt stand out so much. I had already blacked out the reflective strips before I did this too. I had considered getting ls style lights but I prefer the lt look on my color car. I freakin love the way your car looks with those wheels.BTW

Quick Reply: Brought my LT1 taillights back to life....