Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

I bought Fireball's US Exotics WS9 Outlaw hood, can't wait to install it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009 | 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

awesome
Old 12-14-2009 | 03:01 AM
Banned

That hood looks GREAT! Congrats !
Old 12-14-2009 | 05:47 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Thanks for the compliments guys. Hopefully after I get it bolted up properly, the weather will cooperate and I can get some better pics outside.

In all honesty, I really wanted a superhawk hood, but who knows when Roger will be making or selling them again. The ws9 outlaw was choice number 2, and when Brian put his up for sale, and it was already painted pewter, I knew I had to jump on the deal.

It will be interesting the first time I drive it, over the past 9 years I've gotten accustomed to not looking over a ram air scoop.
Old 12-14-2009 | 05:51 AM
11 Second Club

looks sick man!!!
Old 12-14-2009 | 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

I've always liked your sleek beak TA, but that hood definitely gives it a whole new attitude.

I don't know if I'm diggin the nostrils painted black but guess there aren't really any good shots of it yet. either way, the hood looks great!
Old 12-14-2009 | 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Damn that thing is big! It looks great.

I even think I like the pins!
Old 12-14-2009 | 09:53 AM
Launching!

hood looks great im diggin the pins too. i had no idea how inexpensive those lifts are!
Old 12-14-2009 | 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Get the car off the lift and get some outside pictures!!!! In sunlight to boot!

Looks great man. You got a helluva deal. Glad you took advantage of it.
Old 12-14-2009 | 10:05 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Damn that thing is big! It looks great.

I even think I like the pins!
It's not really that big. I mean compaired with a stock ws6 hood, the nostils are the same height, but where the ws6 tapers back to 1-1.5" high at the cowl, this is a full 2". Also, I think the actual scoops are wider than the ws6 (I think), so it doesn't look as high. I don't think it's over the top like some of the other 'high rise' trans am hoods. The lines flow really well. I'm eager to get it out in the sun and take some pics. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Here's a better shot.
Old 12-14-2009 | 07:28 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Pulled the car out and snapped some pics, right at sun down so no real time to adjust it yet. As soon as I got done taking some pics, the kids got home and it was dinner time.

Old 12-14-2009 | 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Looks badass man. I like it!
Old 12-15-2009 | 05:33 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Thanks, I think I'm going to do a black overlay on the front license plate bird to tie in the hood nostrils.
Old 12-15-2009 | 05:37 AM
TECH Addict

I actually like the pins. And the height of the hood in the back makes it. The pics I see online don't really do it justice. Now that you can see the lines better with the pewter, it "pops".
Old 12-15-2009 | 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

looks really nice
Old 12-15-2009 | 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Pulled the car out and snapped some pics, right at sun down so no real time to adjust it yet. As soon as I got done taking some pics, the kids got home and it was dinner time.

Love the hood but the shade of pewter is way off. If that was my car I would have it re-sprayed and blended with the bumper and fenders. Can't cost more than a few hundred to do. And I know you are picky with your t/a so why not make it perfect.
Old 12-16-2009 | 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hood looks great.. but im Naperws6 the shade of pewter is off compared to your fenders.
Old 12-16-2009 | 05:55 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by naperws6
Love the hood but the shade of pewter is way off. If that was my car I would have it re-sprayed and blended with the bumper and fenders. Can't cost more than a few hundred to do. And I know you are picky with your t/a so why not make it perfect.
Originally Posted by juniorz28
Hood looks great.. but im Naperws6 the shade of pewter is off compared to your fenders.
I understand what you're saying, and partially agree. The shade is a little dark, but it's not too big of a deal for me right now. The car will spend most of the winter on the lift as I need to adress 3 leaks (thermostat, power steering pump and rear dif cover). I need to have some body work done as I've accumulated some dings and scratches over the past 9 years, so the plans are to have some work done in the spring time. But for the time being, the hood matches a heck of a lot better than a black gelcoat if I were to buy it new. The camera also makes the hood look darker than it is because of how I took the pics. In person, it blends much better.

Also, look at this picture taken at the same time, look how different the front bumper is from the quarter panel fender. That's light pewter metalic for you. Different materials look different and that's 100% pure factory paint.

And here's the passenger side, again, look at the difference between the fender and front bumper. Under certain lighting conditions, light pewter metalic looks different on different body panels.

The next sunny day, whenever that will be, I'll get some better pics and show that the hood matches pretty well. Could it be better, sure, but for the time being, it's good enough.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 12-16-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-16-2009 | 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I understand what you're saying, and partially agree. The shade is a little dark, but it's not too big of a deal for me right now. The car will spend most of the winter on the lift as I need to adress 3 leaks (thermostat, power steering pump and rear dif cover). I need to have some body work done as I've accumulated some dings and scratches over the past 9 years, so the plans are to have some work done in the spring time. But for the time being, the hood matches a heck of a lot better than a black gelcoat if I were to buy it new. The camera also makes the hood look darker than it is because of how I took the pics. In person, it blends much better.

Also, look at this picture taken at the same time, look how different the front bumper is from the quarter panel fender. That's light pewter metalic for you. Different materials look different and that's 100% pure factory paint.
[IMG]http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/14127298311.jpg?
1260836033[/IMG]

And here's the passenger side, again, look at the difference between the fender and front bumper. Under certain lighting conditions, light pewter metalic looks different on different body panels.

The next sunny day, whenever that will be, I'll get some better pics and show that the hood matches pretty well. Could it be better, sure, but for the time being, it's good enough.
I know you take alot of pride in your t/a and want to make it perfect, i was just throwing it out there I have an eye for imperfections when I look at them in person or pictures since I work with appraising used cars.At my job there is a bodyshop and they say anything with metalic you must blend the paint, they say silver is the hardest to blend cause all the metalic so pewter must be the same. To be honest like you said different materials but the body panels should always be blended if your going to paint or install aftermarket body parts. Bumpers are a different material and will rarely match even 2010 cars don't match under certain lighting. If you have dents on your quarter panel which is the only metal on our cars I would look into Painless dent repair they work miracles and our cheap. I just bought a 99 ss and it had a few on both sides and my buddy does it for a living made the ss look like new and you could never tell the dings are ther before you paint it look into its alot cheaper and quick repair. I have always liked your t/a in the pictures I have seen before, the hood makes it look sick and I know you will never be happy until you have the hood blended to the fenders in the spring. good luck your t/a very nice
Old 12-16-2009 | 11:21 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by naperws6
I know you take alot of pride in your t/a and want to make it perfect, i was just throwing it out there I have an eye for imperfections when I look at them in person or pictures since I work with appraising used cars.At my job there is a bodyshop and they say anything with metalic you must blend the paint, they say silver is the hardest to blend cause all the metalic so pewter must be the same. To be honest like you said different materials but the body panels should always be blended if your going to paint or install aftermarket body parts. Bumpers are a different material and will rarely match even 2010 cars don't match under certain lighting. If you have dents on your quarter panel which is the only metal on our cars I would look into Painless dent repair they work miracles and our cheap. I just bought a 99 ss and it had a few on both sides and my buddy does it for a living made the ss look like new and you could never tell the dings are ther before you paint it look into its alot cheaper and quick repair. I have always liked your t/a in the pictures I have seen before, the hood makes it look sick and I know you will never be happy until you have the hood blended to the fenders in the spring. good luck your t/a very nice
Thanks, and I appreciate the comments and compliments. I know it's not perfect, and knew that going in. I may make it my winter project to do some light body work sanding and prep on the hood so all the body shop will need to do is paint and blend.

I'm not sure where you're from, but I do need to talk to a paintless guy because I had a shopping cart hit the right rear quarter many years ago, and that shouldn't be too tough to work out.
Old 12-17-2009 | 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks great...

Pewter is definatlely a finicky color to match 100%

it was pretty much spot on for my OEM paint

Quick Reply: I bought Fireball's US Exotics WS9 Outlaw hood, can't wait to install it.