Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Question about underglow ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003 | 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

even some import owners think it's ricey...

sell it to some ricer?
Old 12-19-2003 | 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

ohhh christ...
I actually had an underglow kit, I never turned it on though... not once not even to test it. I installed mine myself and it was a PITA. The kits come with little plastic hangers. You know that little piece of trim under the car that always gets crushed with jackstands? Follow it back a little and theres another piece like that. I installed it on the inside.. so you can't see the neon.. the front one was installed somewhere on the front air dam for the radiator I think I can't remember... the last one was clipped to 3 or 4 little tabs on the fuel tank I think... can't remember... that well... was a while ago...
I cut it off a while ago and its sitting in a tube in my room
wanna buy it
Old 12-19-2003 | 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Underglow...well, I can tell you this from experience, I've seen them even on old school hot rods during Hot August Nights in Reno, and it doesn't look bad at all. It is however a matter of opinion, and while I love this forum, SOME (not all) guys here are d!cks when it comes to anything remotely ricey. Wish I saw this post earlier, I would have warned you. Like I've always said, do what ever YOU want to your car, cuz when all is said and done, it's YOURS. Alot of people gave me **** when I first put 19's on my f-body... I didn't care, I wanted them. I'm even putting the same style wheels on my 69. To hell with what everyone else thinks...

Last edited by JonSS; 12-19-2003 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2003 | 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

JonSS those are some sweet as cars.
Old 12-19-2003 | 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh and if you want to put the underbody lights on go for it, i'm from kentucky and as far as i'm concerned kentucky doesn't produce many queers and i've saw them on several mustangs and camaros around here, but everyone has their own opinion
Old 12-19-2003 | 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks git_sum. Working on some new stuff for the 69. New rims, lowering it, a few engine add ons, new Corbeaus, etc. Merry Christmas to me!
Old 12-19-2003 | 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Im glad some poeple on this board actually have some sense, i will consider the underglow, and like u guys said it is ultimately my car... so when its all said and done ill post pics and guys can tell me what u think.
Old 12-19-2003 | 06:19 PM
Launching!

neons are obselete. if you really want a glow go with a led undercar kit. there lighter,smaller,brighter,more durable,draw less amps and never go out. to bad you cant get any help from any one on here without gettin trashed,there are actin like you have painted your car baby blue with a super wing,stuck vinyl on it and installed a fart can.
Old 12-19-2003 | 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greekss
guys can tell me what u think.

Sure you want to hear it??? Dude don't take things so personal, when you ask on here you get the opinions from every walk of life here on this board. Can't take it, don't ask

BTW........I see they deleted my pervious posts .......sad
Old 12-19-2003 | 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't care for neon, but to each his own.
I don't know a damn thing about installing neon tubes, but I do like the sounds of the LED system...they have gotta be more durable for this application. FWIW, I've seen a blue LED kit lighting the polished engine on a Harley Davidson V-rod and it looked pretty sweet!
Old 12-19-2003 | 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually, here is a pic of the LED kit on a V-rod:
Old 12-20-2003 | 08:33 AM
Teching In

I use to own an import and thought neons and all the crap was some of the ricey/gay **** I have ever seen.
Leave the rice to the ricers.
Old 12-20-2003 | 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow. You guys are brutal...and the extreme authority on f-body appearance. I bet if i did tastefully-done neon under my car you'd swing from my nuts. Let the guy do what he wants...at least he's gonna turn more heads than ya'll.
Run it behind that thin lip that has the jack notches as stated before, just don't plan on installing subframe connectors. There's plenty of spots in the front and back for the rest of the kit. Next time, ask a local car audio place and not the keyboard-warrior afficiandos of musclecar style on here. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2003 | 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have red on my car. Watch out for the rear because the tube will not fit up in between the bumper and gas tank. It will hang down to far and the tube will be exposed. Either cut it a little and fit it, or get a center exhaust like I plan on doing and that will cover it.
Old 12-21-2003 | 02:37 AM
On The Tree

my only question is: cant u find better mods worth the time and money. adding ANYTHING under ur car is just something else to worry about. hell, i worry about my SFC's!
oh, to answer the question of 'are neons rice?' go into vatozone and look at where they're located at. that's right, the 'fast and the furious' section. right next to the import mags. there's ur answer. enjoy.
Old 12-21-2003 | 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by McTullis
Wow. You guys are brutal...and the extreme authority on f-body appearance. I bet if i did tastefully-done neon under my car you'd swing from my nuts. Let the guy do what he wants...at least he's gonna turn more heads than ya'll.
Run it behind that thin lip that has the jack notches as stated before, just don't plan on installing subframe connectors. There's plenty of spots in the front and back for the rest of the kit. Next time, ask a local car audio place and not the keyboard-warrior afficiandos of musclecar style on here. Good luck.

Exactly!!!! Neons were around looong before the import scene. The old hot rods had them, I bet they were the first ricers?! The imports like them because it draws looks and they like attantion. If done right, it looks good. I had them sometime ago on my third gen and always got compliments and NEVER one bad remark (maybe keyboard hardasses?)

Its your car, do what you want... Hell, most here call a nice stereo rice
Old 12-21-2003 | 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Hey man, check out my web site. www.cardomain.com/id/ozorowsky. I have red underbody neons, and I think they look good. I also have subframe connectors, etc. Never had a prob. through freezing Boston winters, snow, or anything. I installed them with the little clips just outside of my sub frame connectors. E-mail me if you have any questions. Michaelozorowsky@hotmail.com
Old 12-21-2003 | 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

just my 2 cents....

Rice is not what you do to ur car....rice is a state of mind...rice is doing all manner of appearance mods to your car (any car import or domestic) and THINKING THAT LOOKING COOL IS THE SAME AS GOING FAST. Rice is "posing", i guess you could call it. If an LS1 with ground effects and underglow pulled up next to me and proceeded to lift the wheels and leave my a$$ in the dust i would NOT call it rice and neither would any of u.....you WOULD call it a FAST car that just happens to have appearance mods that you personally may not like on your own cars..."rice" is not having the ability to back up the outlandish looks while talking and acting like you DO....I personally wouldnt put underglow under my Z28 just because im kind of a weight freak and i dont keep ANYTHING on or in the car that doesnt need to be there, however i DO think that underglow CAN look cool on an f-body (especially red under a black car). The difference between underglow on a stock honda and underglow on a stock f-body (v8 of course) is that the f-body can back up the statement its making with its look with actual performance while a honda cannot. Once again....true "rice" is defined by the driver's opinion of the car rather than the car itself...

BOTTOM LINE: its YOUR car....do whatever the hell YOU want to do to it....just try to do it tastefully and completely (ie: not leaving the lighting elements hanging visibly under the car like i've seen so many morons do..now thats tacky!)

just my opinion.....
Old 12-22-2003 | 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Clear corners, clear bulbs, painted trim pieces, big spoiler, few stickers....

Bring it.
Old 12-22-2003 | 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wink

Originally Posted by McTullis
Clear corners, clear bulbs, painted trim pieces, big spoiler, few stickers....
Man you big ricer!

But seriously . . . . .

People say "rice" because they don't know how the express themselves. In a nut shell they do not like the idea, so instead of tell the truth they hide behind a stereo typed notion.

I say - It's YOUR car! do what you want!

Quick Reply: Question about underglow ?