Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Meguiar's product users come in

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010 | 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just as an FYI, M105 and other Meguiar's SMAT products don't break down like the older stuff. This is one of the things that makes them so easy to work with and get consistent results, since it always works the same and doesn't break down with use. If you're working with M105 on a panel and it starts to get dry or dust, hit it with some water or 50/50 mix of an appropriate QD and keep on working. M105 has some serious cutting power but can finish so well, search for the Kevin Brown method for usage tips.

Older popular products like #83 DACP contained what Meg's termed as diminishing abrasives, meaning the abrasives started more coarse and aggressive in their cut, then "wore down" as you worked with them so they would finish off the panel in better shape and ready for the next step. The SMAT products use different technology to accomplish better results, and are also easier to use.
Old 01-15-2010 | 07:47 PM
TECH Regular
15 Year Member

also the meguiar high tech yellow wax works really good IMO. ive had the 2.0 before but the high tech yellow wax works better on black car.
Old 01-17-2010 | 04:05 PM
Launching!

now im kind of straying away from using it since im seeing some peoples results on dark colored cars.My car is NBM, after doing some more research its seems like for every great job i see done with 2.0 i see a bad one. i guess i will just have to use it and see if it works for me
Old 01-17-2010 | 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my M105/M205 combo, but I don't use NXT 2.0 for my wax. I use the Wolfgang synthetic paint sealer
Old 01-17-2010 | 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
I love my M105/M205 combo, but I don't use NXT 2.0 for my wax. I use the Wolfgang synthetic paint sealer
You should try the Meguiars 21.. Especially if your using an orbital or similar to apply, its AWESOME stuff!
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ I will be sure to try it out in the summer, when I do my orbital buff. On the other hand, have you tried wolfgangs paint sealant yet? I love their carnauba esatate wax, but that **** is outrageous how much it costs. There are even more expensive wax...that costs like a grand for 1-2ounces. .. but our GM paint doesn't need expensive oils and high concentrated carnauba compounds to look good. It's more techy paint like mercedes and ferrari that really benefit from it. Dodo juice is another great car wax...and it makes me feel like I'm buying my car baby food when I purchase dodo juice cause they have like 10-12 different smells and thickness in paste for different weather and colors haha
Old 01-17-2010 | 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used 2.0 on my car and the shine was great but it will not fill any swirl marks. I'm going to try hitting the whole car with some scratchX and a buffer before I wax it this spring.
Old 01-17-2010 | 11:19 PM
Launching!

i used 2.0 last summer with good results, i have to try that M105/M205 combo this summer
Old 01-17-2010 | 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ m105 cuts effortlessly and m205 is a great light swirl remover. it's a great combo cause they delete the middle product and it's quicker cause you don't have to go through three products to get the same results. It's kind of like sand paper, some people like to go from 300,600,800,1000,1500,2000 ....and some people like to go from 300, 800, 1500,2000.
Old 01-18-2010 | 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought about picking up some 3M Ultrafina to use after M205, before the LSP. Anybody tried it yet? It's supposed to be an excellent finishing polish, but it has a tough job to make M205 look any better.
Old 01-18-2010 | 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ I used 3m Ultrafina. I didn't really feel like it was needed.. I mean...if M205 didn't pick up all the left over swirl marks then I would use the 3m ultrafina, because I'm sure it picks up small *** swirls...but for the most part I get all the swirls removed after using m205. btw get a damn ******* mic for ps3 =]
Old 01-18-2010 | 01:00 PM
On The Tree

meguiars is good but the GOLD CLASS WASH SUXXXX!!!! leaves massive water spots. im all mr. clean wash kit ha ha. but i really like nu finish wax. that stuff lasts and beads water amazingly. but most importantly it is SO easy to buff away unlike detail spray wax or nxt 2.0. just my honest opinion.
Old 01-18-2010 | 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
^^ I used 3m Ultrafina. I didn't really feel like it was needed.. I mean...if M205 didn't pick up all the left over swirl marks then I would use the 3m ultrafina, because I'm sure it picks up small *** swirls...but for the most part I get all the swirls removed after using m205. btw get a damn ******* mic for ps3 =]
I will probably save my money then, the M205 left the finish looking completely free of defects but I'm always trying to go one step further. I do have a PS3 mic, but I also have 3 kids running around the house yelling and playing. I usually don't wear it unless they are playing upstairs or asleep.

Originally Posted by cure07
meguiars is good but the GOLD CLASS WASH SUXXXX!!!! leaves massive water spots. im all mr. clean wash kit ha ha. but i really like nu finish wax. that stuff lasts and beads water amazingly. but most importantly it is SO easy to buff away unlike detail spray wax or nxt 2.0. just my honest opinion.
Meg's Gold Class wash is one of the best I've used? No spots here, even washing the black car in direct sunlight. I do rinse it off after every few panels though. I haven't tried the Mr. Clean kit, so no comments there.

Nu Finish is garbage. I wouldn't wax a bicycle with that ****. Definitely not easy to apply or remove, and the gloss and durability were both crap in my experience. I used it in high school after my dad bought a bottle, and quickly handed it down to me for free. If you need a good all-in-one product, try Klasse AIO.
Old 01-18-2010 | 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
NXT 2.0 will never go back on another car that I do. OTC or not, it is an unusable product in my eyes. I won't even try it on my wife's silver car because even if it is hard to notice, it will bug me and I will always be looking for the cloudiness.

I prefer sealants as LSP, but if I was in a jam I would try some M26 or Collinite 845 for an OTC product.
cloudiness? it sounds like you are applying way too much when you wax your car. i put mine on with a PC and i put on a light enough layer so that the nxt is not even visible on the area once the PC has worked it all in to the paint. a gentle wipe with a MF towel and it's good to go. hazing is usually a direct result of too much product, and with nxt i have made the cloudiness happen before so i know what you are talking about. also if it's humid when you apply coats of wax, you could get hazing as well, although that's not at the fault of the product either. nxt clouds really easily if you don't apply the absolute perfect amount. less is better. after i got the technique down, never had a problem with it since.

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
Meg's Gold Class wash is one of the best I've used? No spots here, even washing the black car in direct sunlight. I do rinse it off after every few panels though. I haven't tried the Mr. Clean kit, so no comments there.
gold class is garbage...too much dusting after you wash. i even use an anti-dust QD FK-15 and still the dusting is unbelievable after a wash. optimum no-rinse is the most revoutionary car wash ever made. one bucket of water + 1 oz of optimum is all you need. wipe on, wipe off, no scratches, no rinsing necessary, no hassle. it really is an amazing product and such a better alternative to other washing methods. i wash my car in a parking garage in the middle of the city where a water spicket isn't anywhere within 10 miles.

You should try the Meguiars 21
#21 is pretty good, but #16 is worlds better, if you can get your hands on it.
Old 01-18-2010 | 05:37 PM
On The Tree

What about for the Plastics, I found that this works good so far the Meguiars with the UV protectant.http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G4116
Before

After

Last edited by SLV_WS6; 01-18-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2010 | 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

was that faded before you sprayed it on? just wondering since i have that product but have not use it on the outside of the car yet
Old 01-18-2010 | 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bobbyd
was that faded before you sprayed it on? just wondering since i have that product but have not use it on the outside of the car yet
Yeah it looked real bad, I bought it right after the dash piece on my car cracked works really good on the interior without leaving greasy and used it yesterday for the first time on the plastics and the t-tops and made it look new, just not sure how long it will last.
Old 01-18-2010 | 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLV_WS6
Yeah it looked real bad, I bought it right after the dash piece on my car cracked works really good on the interior without leaving greasy and used it yesterday for the first time on the plastics and the t-tops and made it look new, just not sure how long it will last.
sweet im gonna have to use it on the outside. i have only use it on my interior and it looks real good. never really though about using it on the t-tops or by the wipers
Old 01-18-2010 | 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I use it under the hood too so far so good..
Old 01-19-2010 | 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuffluck
cloudiness? it sounds like you are applying way too much when you wax your car. i put mine on with a PC and i put on a light enough layer so that the nxt is not even visible on the area once the PC has worked it all in to the paint. a gentle wipe with a MF towel and it's good to go. hazing is usually a direct result of too much product, and with nxt i have made the cloudiness happen before so i know what you are talking about. also if it's humid when you apply coats of wax, you could get hazing as well, although that's not at the fault of the product either. nxt clouds really easily if you don't apply the absolute perfect amount. less is better. after i got the technique down, never had a problem with it since.

gold class is garbage...too much dusting after you wash. i even use an anti-dust QD FK-15 and still the dusting is unbelievable after a wash. optimum no-rinse is the most revoutionary car wash ever made. one bucket of water + 1 oz of optimum is all you need. wipe on, wipe off, no scratches, no rinsing necessary, no hassle. it really is an amazing product and such a better alternative to other washing methods. i wash my car in a parking garage in the middle of the city where a water spicket isn't anywhere within 10 miles.

#21 is pretty good, but #16 is worlds better, if you can get your hands on it.
I went through this with the Meg's support folks too, it was applied properly with a VERY thin coat using a G110 on speed 4 and a Meg's finishing pad: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...1&postcount=29 The humidity was a little high that day, but I let it dry for extra time before removing to counter. I tried to make NXT 2.0 work, but said "why bother" after a period of trials. I'm not interested in a product that's difficult to work with to get good results. There are too many other good/better products on the market to choose from.

ONR is a product I plan to try soon! Looks very interesting.

Quick Reply: Meguiar's product users come in