Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Seat Heater Install in T/A SEATS (LOTS OF PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Seat Heater Install in T/A SEATS (LOTS OF PICS)

I just got done installing a set of left and right seat heaters in my ebony T/A seats. The install was rather easy but time consuming. I got the seat heaters from one of our vendors, FAST TOYS. http://fasttoys.net/shop/
They are made by CARBOTECH who actually supplies GM and other automotive manufacturers. They are very well made and easy to make fit your application.

Each kit comes with a 2 panels. One panel is 24" x 12" and the other is 20" x 12". I used the smaller panel on the top and cut it to the shape. The bottom panel was the perfect size so no cutting was required. some may find that they want to trim a section out of the bottom panel due to some velcro not being attached but I assure that that it did not affect the finish of the covers. They look factory.

They come with dual wiring harness's. They are 100% complete and come with your choice of a on/off switch or for a couple of more dollars you can have a switch with 2 temperature settings and of course an off switch. Each section of wire has a connector already fastened onto it so it all snaps together and is dummy proof. Just hook the power to ignition source and your done.

These things work awesome! They heat up really fast! After I tore into the seats, I noticed that there was lots of padding under the legs and I didn't think that the heat would penetrate through but it does alot.

This kit is complete! Bring it home and install it with basic handtools!

The seat back and map pocket must be removed if you plan on seperating the seat back and seat bottom. Doing this is not necessary.

The hog rings must be cut and removed to access the tubing for the air bolsters if you plan to seperate the back rest from the seat bottom

The seat back seat cover cannot be completely removed unless you plan on cutting all of the hog rings that secure the seat. There are hog rings that fasten the side bolsters to give it it's shape so that the side air bolsters are separated from the center air bolster.

This pic is of the seat back looking under the seat cover. This is where the smaller heating pad will be slid into. Sorry, NO PICS of the seat back heating pad installed

This pic shows where the harness for the seat back heater pads comes through at. I ran it along with the air tubes.

Instead of reinstalling hog rings, I used zip ties which I thought wouldn't work very well but to my suprise, they were easier to use and allowed adjustment of the tension of the panels.

The seat tracks must be removed. Don't ask me why the previous owner of the seats painted them with RED RUSTOLEUM!?

The seat bottom seat cover needs to be pulled almost all the way off. I find it easier to peel it back as least as possible as it helps for reinstallation.

Here you can see that the pad fits perfect and does not need to be trimmed. Only one strip of velcro is covered by the panel and does not affect the fit of the panel or it laying flat.

The panel is now reinstalled. This is the last step and the seats can be put back together now.

I chose to install the switches in my console. I wanted to install them in my door T/A door panels but I really didn't have that much time to rip them apart as well. AND believe me, the harness is long enough to do so! Maybe this summer I'll put the switch there, but until then, its freezin in Pa so I am going to go cruising and enjoy them!

If anyone has anymore questions or needs more detailed directions, just ask.

Last edited by 9t8z28; 01-18-2010 at 02:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LFSADRG (03-30-2023)
Old 01-17-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. I'm just glad I live in Florida and don't need these.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these would be really nice in my vert, it seems like itd be easier with camaro seats too
Old 01-17-2010, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bderlan
these would be really nice in my vert, it seems like itd be easier with camaro seats too
Yeah, the Camaro seats would be 10X easier!
Old 01-17-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice write up and pics. sticky!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

+1... Sticky this!
Old 01-17-2010, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Sticky sticky!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice write-up man, ..., Thinkin' about doin' this to our Grand Prix.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh, thats new to me. I like it and it will certainly help those cold leather seats in the winter.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:48 AM
12 Second Club

Dude I have been wanting to get some of these for a long *** time now. I'm thinking I might pick up a setthis summer so I'm prepared for next winter.

Really sucks on mornings below freezing when you warm the car up & get in to leave only to find your *** is on a block of ice cold leather while everything else in the car is somewhat warm, LOL. Especially in dress pants for work cause we all know how thin those bastages are, LOL.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned Village Idiot LS1BLKSS

nice job man!!! looks factory
Old 01-18-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice installation......
Old 01-18-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

which kit did you get?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by southpaw0314
which kit did you get?
I got the CARBOTECH dual seat heater kit with high/low settings from FAST TOYS.
I can't imagine not spending an additional $8 for the 2 way switch because it can get pretty hot even with a winter jacket and jeans on.

Like I said, go to FAST TOYS for these seat heaters. There products and customer service are top notch!

Last edited by 9t8z28; 01-18-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:05 PM
8 Second Club

Thank you for the pics. Been thinking of doing this for a few years now. One question....no adhesive or anything holding the heating pads in place? I'd think they would 'walk' around under there after a while and bunch up or something especially on the seat back. Some 3M spray adhesive might go a long way on those. Oh and nice wallpaper btw.

Craig
Old 01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
Thank you for the pics. Been thinking of doing this for a few years now. One question....no adhesive or anything holding the heating pads in place? I'd think they would 'walk' around under there after a while and bunch up or something especially on the seat back. Some 3M spray adhesive might go a long way on those. Oh and nice wallpaper btw.

Craig
The heating pad for the seat back gets the top trimmed to the con tor of the pleating and the rest of it just slides right in and buts up against the hog rings that hold the air bolsters (under your arms) together. The bottom pad fits in between the Velcro strips (as you can see in my pic) and prevents it from moving around.

Also, there are 3 tacky strip sections on each pad (as you can see in my pic) that have adhesive already installed on them. They are covered by a non (shinny white) stick paper material that needs to be peeled off to reveal the glue.

To be honest with you, no adhesive or glue is needed. They fit so perfect that they will not slide around.

Last edited by 9t8z28; 01-18-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by W8S SS
**** three weeks ago those would have been nice down here!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

looks great! how long does it take to warm up?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by W8S SS
they are still handy even down here

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
**** three weeks ago those would have been nice down here!
i KNow right lol. I have them in the malibu And it was very nice to have.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rbaksi
looks great! how long does it take to warm up?
It depends. On a real cold day, about 3 minutes which is quicker than the car warms up idling and after about 10 minutes they are cooking!

Quick Reply: Seat Heater Install in T/A SEATS (LOTS OF PICS)