Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Bay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Bay?

Whats the best product and ways to clean your engine bay?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

me....lots of ppl disagree but i spray it down with a power washer and any engine cleaner. motor cold.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I really hate spraying it with straight water, have had bad experience with that lol
Old 02-16-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

with the engine cool, spray the whole bay down with some water just to loosen everything up a bit. then spray it down real good with "Purple Power" cleaner/degreaser or something similar. let it sit for around 5 minutes. spray it all down with water (some have pressure washed it with no problems, some say don't do it), i just used the hose with no nozzle, and my thumb to increase the pressure on certain areas. then i resprayed it with the Purple Power again, and let it sit again. came back in 5 minutes and repeated with the water.

then (if available) use an air compressor/leaf blower to get out as much of the water as possible. then with some towels soak up the bulk of the water you can get to. then start up the car, so the engine helps heat/dry out the engine bay. while its going go around with more towels continuing to dry everything.

After i did this, it made a huge difference. but, i then went through with another rag and the Purple Power, and went from side to side doing a more detailed cleaning job or each area in there.

Before I started, I did cover up certain things with plastic bags, like the PCM, and the wire on the passenger wheel well. just to be safe. not sure if it was necessary

then i got in there and did a little painting to spruce it up a bit, and added some look nice stuff courtesy of emblempros/specialized stainless (yofab). I love the way it looks now.

I'm sure i'm missing some things with the cleaning process, but thats what comes to mind

I didn't have any problems with this process. Its actually in the appearance/detailing hall of fame in the cleaning section. ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ngine-bay.html )

Last edited by crimson_bird; 02-16-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, did you paint above the fender wells? Because I have been wanting to do that.

Quick Reply: Engine Bay?