Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Aftermarket steering wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket steering wheels?

For my 4th gen I would like to get an aftermarket steering wheel like a Momo or so on. Has anyone done this? Where to get hub adapters, etc? Any more info would be helpful, I tried searching the site but came up with nothing useful.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Teching In

It's not hard to find the adapters. Grant 3196 and Momo 2401 both work. A little modification may be required for it to operate correctly but nothing extensive. The main difference between the two is the Grant adapter is 5 bolt and the Momo is 6. I suggest you pick a wheel before buying the adapter. I have a Grant 457 with the Momo hub and I love it.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe1Z28
It's not hard to find the adapters. Grant 3196 and Momo 2401 both work. A little modification may be required for it to operate correctly but nothing extensive. The main difference between the two is the Grant adapter is 5 bolt and the Momo is 6. I suggest you pick a wheel before buying the adapter. I have a Grant 457 with the Momo hub and I love it.

Thats the same wheel im thinking about picking up
Old 03-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Teching In

It looks even better in person. The picture was taken in my garage at night plus most of the interior is out. I'm gonna incorporate some polished aluminum in the shifter, e-brake, and pedals to tie it all together.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It looks even better in person. The picture was taken in my garage at night plus most of the interior is out. I'm gonna incorporate some polished aluminum in the shifter, e-brake, and pedals to tie it all together.
What exactly was required to adapt he hub and wheel?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

What did you do with the airbag wiring? how to avoid any error lights..or whatever comes up if airbag is inoperable?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Teching In

I'm trying to find out the same thing ? only different I was looking at a wheel that grant makes but only for trucks. it lets you keep your air bag,radio & cruse controls. i was wondering if you could make them work on our cars ? anybody ?
Old 03-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vikingramair
What did you do with the airbag wiring? how to avoid any error lights..or whatever comes up if airbag is inoperable?
To avoid cutting the wires, just pop open the yellow airbag harness that sticks out of the steering column. Then drill out a hole in the hub big enough to allow the wires through. You can then reattach the plastic harness and you are all set. The harness will just sit tucked inside the hub. This is only important if you want to possibly return to stock later. The airbag light can be turned off with resistors. I've heard that the resistance differs with different cars but two 3.3 ohm resistors did the trick for me. You could probably just measure the resistance of the airbag with an ohm-meter and match that value.

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
What exactly was required to adapt he hub and wheel?
Once the hub is installed, the wheel just screws on with the 6 bolts that can be seen in the center of the wheel. (Most Grant wheels use 5 but mine uses 6. That is why I'm using the Momo hub. Grant hub uses 5 bolts.)
Old 04-12-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard that the resistance differs with different cars but two 3.3 ohm resistors did the trick for me. You could probably just measure the resistance of the airbag with an ohm-meter and match that value.
How did you install the Resistors? A picture would be awesome!
Old 04-12-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

google air bag removal or something like that,, im not sure if theres a write up here or not. There is ways to wire in resistors in series into the air bag wire to replicate it being hooked up to shut off the warning light. Im not sure if youll find any pics... but the air bag wire you need to hook the resistors into, I think its a yellow wire under the column. I did it in my old '03 S10 it was easy. You can buy the resistors at a tv repair shop or sometimes places like the radio shack type stores at all different ratings to get the right combo you need.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Teching In

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-13-2010, 01:27 AM
Launching!

I love grant steering wheels. I have had this same steering wheel on 3 different cars. I really done care much about not having an airbag, just have to deal with the annoying light until it burns out . The wheel was like 40 or 50 on ebay and the install kit was around 20. It took about 30 minutes to install but a few trips to the parts store to get the right part. It matches my leather seats, door panels, e-brake handle, and shift ****.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by my95LTwon
just have to deal with the annoying light until it burns out .
I wouldnt hold your breath on that one most cars now use an LED light instead of a bulb now,,, not sure what your camaro uses.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

momo commando r
i used a machined momo hub that thunder racing used to sell (some material needs to be ground off the back to keep from rubbing).

as far as the airbag wires and connecting the resistors... once you see the yellow airbag wire, it should be pretty self explanatory. i recommend soldering the resistors to the airbag wires if you can - mine kept coming loose and setting off the airbag light until i did.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

only way to hide the light is to remove the cluster and crush the bulb if it is a LED,,,

Warning i would assume if your air bag light is on, or your remove or bust it, your pass side bag will not deploy,, even if it is still there....
Its cool if your the driver wanna and wanna take the risk of no air bag,, but to avoid any terrible events if you get in a crash,,, for the price of a 10cent resistor pop it in to turn out your light and activate the rest of the system. I would never want to put anyone else in farther danger when driving in my car.... think about it, hard!!!

I would only crush or remove the bulb if your bags have all ready blown and your module is dead anyhow and was not going to be replaced.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

how can i find out if my airbags have ever been deployed? I just bought the car in january, found out later that it has been in a front end accident.. The airbag light has been on since i bought the car, he told me that it was just the clock ring or something like that in the steering wheel. I just want to make sure that i still have a passenger side airbag and if it is still good, if not then when i switch to an aftermarket steering wheel i won't worry about the resisters. Also my car isn't a DD i just drive it on the weekends, and take it to the track, my wife hates riding in it so i pretty much never have anyone with me anyways
Old 04-17-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the only thing that worries me is keeping the horn.

How do you keep the horn? I kept it on my old integra, but there's so much less info on this for Fbodies, than on civics/tegs.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

sometimes you just have to figure **** out on your own, and the horn is one of those things, once your into it, alot of common sense, that alot of people forget, when your doing certain mods, get your fingers dirty
Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by BLK96Z28
[IMG][/IMG]
This one looks pretty good.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camaross333
sometimes you just have to figure **** out on your own, and the horn is one of those things, once your into it, alot of common sense, that alot of people forget, when your doing certain mods, get your fingers dirty
Exactly, the horn is just a matter of figuring out the wiring. A buddy of mine quit after like 10 minutes of trying to wiring the horn, to only later find out after doing research he could have had a horn if he just switched the wires around lol.

thanks to camaross again!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket steering wheels?