Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Suede Interior Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job Trans Am Jam, good luck with the rest of the project and keep us up to date.

,,,stripes look sick bro,,,
Old 03-23-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks bro, but I'm in quite a dilemma. I've just been looking at a lot of custom suede interiors and there's ultrasuede is looking real good to me, but I already spent so many hours doing these things in microsuede. I really wanna see my fingerprints......iuno what do u guys think ...

a) keep the microsuede and do the rest of the interior in microsuede.

b)keep the microsuede and do the rest of the interior in ultrasuede.

c) start all over again and do it all in ultrasuede

HELP ME!! =[
Old 03-23-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

pics to support the dilema?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

here's a microsuede interior

here's an ultrasuede interior

Old 03-23-2010, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

For long term durability and UV stability I would really stick with the brands ultrasuede( yourautotrim.com ) or alcantara ( gulffabrics.com ) . I realize their more costly , but worth it 10 fold . Miamicorp.com allows u to order out the Detroit book , which then opens up the possibility of the ebony ultra lux suede gm uses on the trailblazer ss , Malibu ect. On their site go to samples and scroll down to Detroit book , it's broke down by year and in PDF format. 08 or 09 will have the ultralux in it .

http://www.yourautotrim.com/headad.html
If your going to use adhesive in an aerosol can that's the only one I'd recommend . The 3m super77 , 90 ect will fail you overtime . A brush on version contact cement like welwood dap , or helmitin would most desireable and will give a bond a aerosol can could never match .

Last edited by LT4vert; 03-23-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

well that guy trent said he used microsuede for his interior and that it's been lasting him 4 yrs without any fading or such. do you think I should start all over again w/ ultrasuede ..or keep what i have now in microsuede and do the rest in ultrasuede? also I'm probably going to need like 7 yards to do my entire interior, so that would be a total of $400 of ultrasuede compared to $56 of microsuede. I'm just trying to see if the look of ultrasuede is more desirable than microsuede. Does ultrasuede come in a thicker material than microsued? cause if u see my pictures i'm sure u can notice that microsuede is a thin relaxed material. I mean I personally like the look of ultrasuede...but should I keep the boots I made in microsuede and do the rest of the interior, including the center console in ultrasuede? There are also many different types of ultrasuede....which one should I go w/?

EDIT: yourautotrim.com has a company called Unisuede? not sure if that's similar to ultrasuede or if it's just a ripoff........Also, I called Gulfabrics and TorayUnisuede and neither have picked up their phone lines......they must all be sucking dick or something.

EDIT x2: I found this for ultrasuede. http://www.knoll.com/products/textil...=cat&cat_id=86
...but in no way in hell am I spending close to $90 a yard

EDIT x3: here's a thread in an evo forum...where a guy used $6 suede. http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-sho...or-thread.html

Gulf Fabrics:
The Alcantara automotive product is currently recommended for automotive applications. The Cover seating fabric is currently priced at $104.95 per yard and the Pannel non seating fabric is priced at $99.95 per yard.

Last edited by Trans Am Jam; 03-23-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT4vert
For long term durability and UV stability I would really stick with the brands ultrasuede( yourautotrim.com )
Cheap suede turns purple. I use and recommend unisuede from yourautotrim.com

A brush on version contact cement like welwood dap , or helmitin would most desireable and will give a bond a aerosol can could never match .
Agree. I used DAP contact cement. The spray adhesive will melt in the summer heat and the fabric will come loose.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm definitely gonna go w/ alcantara for my seat inserts since it's the most durable. but for paneling I think unisuede should do it. I don't really care for alcantara on my ceiling and pillars...but that would be the best it's just that it would cost around $800 if I wrapped my entire interior in that. I ordered the DAP contact cement too . you guys think I should continue using black thread though right?
Old 03-23-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
I should continue using black thread though right?
Thats personal preference man , whatever u like best . I wouldnt chose a color , if it didnt have something else to tie into . Like the NSX u posted , had red seats so the red stitch looked good .

FYI , in the headliner section of your auto trim , they sell suede headliner material that is already foam backed in black . Maybe you already saw it .
Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats personal preference man , whatever u like best . I wouldnt chose a color , if it didnt have something else to tie into . Like the NSX u posted , had red seats so the red stitch looked good .

FYI , in the headliner section of your auto trim , they sell suede headliner material that is already foam backed in black . Maybe you already saw it .
thanks, yeah I saw it. but I'm gonna wrap my original one. insaneauto is sending me a sample of that unisuede stuff.. and if it's to my liking i'll do the interior in it.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
thanks, yeah I saw it. but I'm gonna wrap my original one. insaneauto is sending me a sample of that unisuede stuff.. and if it's to my liking i'll do the interior in it.
If u mean your gonna add material on top the factory material , be careful with that one . The 4th gen factory headliners have enuff adhesion issues in the older ones with the cloth separating from the foam in areas . The xtra weight of the new material , plus the fact your soaking the oem cloth with adhesive may create a premature sag issue down the road . Typical method there on a good headliner is to remove the cloth and use a soft bristle brush to remove the remaining foam . Then start over with new foam backed material on the OEM fiber board . The process suks a big fat shlong , but will save headaches down the road . If the factory headliners were of better quality I might be more for going over the cloth without worry , but the OEM headliners are not very inspiring where quality is concerned .

Last edited by LT4vert; 03-23-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

BootsKeep ur boots in micro suede and the rest in ultra suede
Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well that nsx sure is bad as ****.. needs an ls..

anywho, i do like the look of the ultrasuede more.. you can see how it kind of holds that grain from when you touch it, whereas it looks like the microsuede does it to a lesser degree. That being said all of the good **** does seem to be surprisingly expensive..

If they do manage to decock their mouths, and you talk to them, let us know fersher.

Also thanks lt4vert for the info.. i have roll on adhesive i was gonna do with my vinyl but i had always used aerosol. ill stay away from that for the long term stuff. may need to rewrap the stuff i carpeted, but oh well.

Im thinking alcantara on the seats, ultrasuede on the doors/misc stuff, faux suede headliner

I guess if you decided to redo your stuff you already have the new templates made, so thats cool... but it does always suck redoing work like that.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah dude. this really does suck, cause I had to drive 55 miles to use my grandmas sewing machine and it took me like 10-12 hours doing all of that stuff.. but whatever... second time doing it I'm sure will be faster, and that's if I do decide to replace those. I got in touch w/ Gulf Fabrics, like I said in a previous post, so I ordered a sample piece of both their alcantara and ultrasuede to see if it's worth the penny. InsaneAuto was nice enough to send me a sample of his ultrasuede (by unisuede), which is a knock off of real ultrasuede.....but what's real and what's faux? They really are all synthetic man made materials....so yeah. I'm definitely doing alcantara for the seats inserts...probably going to redo my center console and boots w/ either alcantara or the unisuede......and sell the boots on tech...which is going to hurt doing so, but at least it'll cover the cost of mistake I made choosing microsuede
Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I was PMing a bunch of ppl from lotustalk and evom about their suede projects to see if they had any extra materials and what do you know ... a guy on the evo forum had 4yds extra of what he says to be Unisuede Ultrasuede from yourautotrim.com and he's willing to sell it to me for $80. If it's what it really is...then that's a whopping deal. He did his entire interior in this material and noted that the two years he's been running it there has been no discoloration in the suede or **** like that...so that's a pretty promising statement that it's legit....
anyways... here's some pics of his headliner and visors wrapped in the material to show you guys what i'm going to be working with. LT4Vert and InsaneAuto86 do you guys approve?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks great. have any pics/links to their stuff? always cool to get ideas from car guys on the other side.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great, I like the NSX, that's what I would go w/.

I'm looking to see how your headliner covering goes, please post pics of the process.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irish350
looks great. have any pics/links to their stuff? always cool to get ideas from car guys on the other side.
nah thats the only pics that dude had of his wrapped interior. supposedly its this stuff . ...but he just PMed me telling me that it's only 8' x 5'.. whatever.. i'll just get it ..hopefully it is the same material he's talking about...so that when I need more of the material it won't be mismatched...cause that would suck
Originally Posted by Torque Fiend
looks great, I'm looking to see how your headliner covering goes, please post pics of the process.
will do. I'm not going to do my headliner first.. cause LT4vert is right, I need special padded suede to do it right. So that it doesn't sag in the future. I'll probably make new boots, and rewrap the center console cover, visors, glove box, and underneath the steering column.. I will definitely show pics and a how to on w/e work I do. ONe thing for sure is that those visors are going to suck....since you have to hand sew it on and I always end up rethreading the needle.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ultrasuede shifter and ebrake boots should look fine right guys? I cannot fathom making these parts again haha
Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do it! You should get the sample any day now.

Quick Reply: Suede Interior Project