Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Detail Guys In Here. Not Happy With A Professional Detail I Got

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PC stands for porter cable, most of the time it refers to the PC7424...which is a dual action or random orbital polisher. this means it rotates up and down and left and right at the same time...thats the best way to describe it. it is not as powerful as a makita / deWalt polisher.... which would be a machine that only spins in a circle.....remember i am putting this in the simplest of terms.

i suggest you head over to www.autopia.org and do some reading. lots of great info on machines, products, procedures..... pictures of these items put into place....

you can also find the synonyms (sp? ) page that will show you that SIP = super intensive polish by menzerna....or AIO = klasse all in one..........
Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
It's up to you. I'm not sure if you read my post or not (maybe you skimmed through the posts) but I can come over Thursday and put an end to your misery.

Could you post up some pics of your paint the way it sits now? It seems by the way you describe it that it has some light swirling so Mezerna IP should suffice. The M105 might be overkill if your paint is in good condition.
Hey James.. I am working Thursday and Friday this week. I am off the weekened though..
Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Hey Kevin, I really didn't want to bother you at the beginning of this season. B/C when I had called last season to express my concern of the still noticable swirls on my car, quite frankly you seemed annoyed that I was coming back. Quite honestly I didn't want to deal with it Granted you didn't refuse to fix it, again jsut annoyed. And I am by no means bashing your shop, hence why I said your shop would be nameless. So what other options do we have now?

My paint looks like it did when I dropped off to you the first time. There are still a bunch of swirls and those little tiny 1" scratches all over, which I have no idea how they even got there but you cannot even feel them. I guess maybe one piece of advice, for the final walk through maybe check it outside under direct sunlight? Like you said my paint is unmolested, not weatherd hasn't seen snow and rain since 2005.. Garaged every year. You would think that it should be very easy to get rid of the swirls..

You're more than welcome to try a more aggressive compound. Everyone here on tech, the details they do they us a PC with Menzerna SIP with a Lake County Orange Pad and follow it with what else, and the paint ALWAYS comes out so shiny, clear, wet looking with depth. Can my 'unmolested' paint acheive that? I want a reflection shot to be sooo crystal clear looking and brillant in color. Is your "smart cut" better than the SIP stuff? After you cut the paint what are the next steps? Is that when you wax the paint, polish the paint then seal it? Or is it polish, wax then seal the paint?

Yeah I dunno wtf is wrong with my paint..

I really jsut want my paint to look like these examples..

What do you want me to do next Kevin?

Sorry if I sounded annoyed, some days you know... I hate when a car does not come out the way it should. If you would like to set up a time to bring the car by I will do just one panel with the more aggressive cut, follow it up with a fine cut/polish, then wide down with a quick detailer to remove any residue/polish oils. Then we can pull it out in the sun and check under direct light to determine if this will get the result we are looking for. If it works I will repeat the process on the rest of the vehicle and then seal it. A wax like Natty's can be applied on top of the sealant after it cures for 24hrs to provide some extra depth to the shine.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like a decent plan to me
Old 04-14-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by gavspurplez
PC stands for porter cable, most of the time it refers to the PC7424...which is a dual action or random orbital polisher. this means it rotates up and down and left and right at the same time...thats the best way to describe it. it is not as powerful as a makita / deWalt polisher.... which would be a machine that only spins in a circle.....remember i am putting this in the simplest of terms.

i suggest you head over to www.autopia.org and do some reading. lots of great info on machines, products, procedures..... pictures of these items put into place.
Gav- Hey thx for taking out of your own time to explain that to me... I really appreciate it when the members on here actually care about other 'S learning on here!! Getting educated so that they can be more knowledgeable about the same passion you all have!!! Not a lot of people on here do, or could give a ratsass! Thx again!
to you man!
Old 04-14-2010, 02:12 PM

PC stands for porter cable, it is not as powerful as a makita / deWalt polisher
Standing in Wal-mart the other day looking at the Maguire's products, some kid started talkin to me about how he details, he said for me to go to the Flea Market down the road and buy a Makita.. i was like "A- WHAAA??" he said they go for like $40-60 used?? So are you saying they aren't a good idea to go w/ at first.. but i hope to get a variable speed type.. Im still researching.. but i ain't buying no P.O.S. either!! The guy i work with there said all they got is the Turtle Wax Buffer for $19.99!! LMAO! I just sat there and laughed to myself!!

The first Pic is my new Polisher LMAO.. And the second is my girlfriend doing all the work for me on my car... yeaaa buff it baby!!!
Attached Thumbnails Detail Guys In Here. Not Happy With A Professional Detail I Got-store3-store_2096_66456402.jpeg   Detail Guys In Here. Not Happy With A Professional Detail I Got-67camaro_0174r.jpg  
Old 04-14-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Makita polishers spin at a very high speed and can burn through the paint very easily. Were as a porter cable is an orbital buffer which doesnt spin in just a circle. Porter cables also dont spin at the same speeds as a rotary polisher. If your just getting into detailing like it you make it seem like, I would get a porter cable and call it a day.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

If you don't have any tools and detailing by hand, that cheap buffer would be good for applying wax. You will not be able to correct any defects with it.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

porter cables have variable speeds.

usually polish @ a 4.5-6 depending on the application
final polish on a 3.5-4.5 ""
apply wax or sealant on a 3
Old 04-14-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

porter cables have variable speeds.

usually polish @ a 4.5-6 depending on the application
final polish on a 3.5-4.5 ""
apply wax or sealant on a 3
After you claybar a car, what is the next process?

You cut the paint, then polish, then wax then seal? Or polish and wax switched?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ktraver97ss
Sorry if I sounded annoyed, some days you know... I hate when a car does not come out the way it should. If you would like to set up a time to bring the car by I will do just one panel with the more aggressive cut, follow it up with a fine cut/polish, then wide down with a quick detailer to remove any residue/polish oils. Then we can pull it out in the sun and check under direct light to determine if this will get the result we are looking for. If it works I will repeat the process on the rest of the vehicle and then seal it. A wax like Natty's can be applied on top of the sealant after it cures for 24hrs to provide some extra depth to the shine.
That sounds awesome Kevin. I will get a hold of you tomorrow or Friday and we can set up a time so that I can drop my car off... Thanks, I appreciate it
Old 04-14-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 845 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by CapoWS6
I will admit I am pretty picky about detailing and stuff and I recently have been poking around with a PC I bought and polishes etc.......I cant get a perfect finish and I dont even get good results yet. One thing I have realized though over the years........just drive the damn car and enjoy it. Make it look good and just try your best. Whats more important having a flawless finish or driving it and enjoying it? Just my .02 cents!! lmao
This is very true. You can polish a car to perfection and after a wash have micromarring. On a dark color your be chasing your tail in circles trying to keep it perfect. Perfect cars belong on a trailer or indoor show circuit.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by wannafbody
On a dark color your be chasing your tail in circles trying to keep it perfect. Perfect cars belong on a trailer or indoor show circuit.
Oh and dude that isn't my Girlfriend up there ^^^ i was just kidding!!!

I agree.. My paint on the top panel/bar is peeling away in small spots, cracking, and webs, sum deep webs/cracking all over the car.. there is no purpose detailing my car as of now bcuz of its paint issues.. but that will all be fixed soon.. with a new paint job on top, and THEN some good detailing! Just don't want to """Burn""" the paint as they call it, starting out! So does PC make a buffer with a noobie automatic cut-off for buffing to hard on surfaces lol??? I think i read up on this thread that there is such a thing???????????

I def. don't trust myself w/ a heavy duty buffer then...
Sry to change the subject, but since yall know ur ****, thot id take advantage of it while it lasts!
Old 04-14-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wannafbody
This is very true. You can polish a car to perfection and after a wash have micromarring. On a dark color your be chasing your tail in circles trying to keep it perfect. Perfect cars belong on a trailer or indoor show circuit.
Yeah thats how I am with my car, its sucks that its black but it stays pretty clean all season long, I detail it once at the beginning of the season and it stays clean all season. It probably stays clean though since I dont really drive it that much.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 845 Likes on 647 Posts

ZO6, a PC is pretty mild and you don't have to worry about burning the paint with one. Stay away from a rotary buffer since they can do serious damage in inexperienced hands.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

torchd

polish then wax...

depending on the condition of the paint, you can choose to polish with a heavier cut abrasive or go with more of a lighter cut....if you are just sprucing up then you can hit te car with a glaze then your LSP

i love clearkote's vanilla moose glaze
Old 04-30-2010, 02:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I sent a PM to Kevin the guy who did my detail... So we jsut need to set up a time now.

I will keep everyone posted
Old 04-30-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

will need pictures
Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

will need pictures
Will do.. I will get some before and afters
Old 05-28-2010, 04:31 PM