Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removable Front Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removable Front Plate Mount

I thought I'd share this with everyone concerned with the front plate. This is a good alternative to the beefy stock front plate mount, and it's removable. It's made by a friend of my father who has created many custom parts primarily for Corvettes. It's installed without any screws meaning no drilling or damage to the front bumper is necessary. Installation takes minutes and the plate is completely removable from the plastic shim that is applied to the bottom side of the bumper. Two wing nuts hold the plate in position. Like I mentioned earlier, this is made for Corvettes but works fine for '93-'97 Firebirds. It is designed to have the plastic double-stick piece above the plate, so all that needs to be done to be installed on a Firebird is a reverse of the assembly.

There is a slight concave in the design of the plate holder but I bent it a little more to nicely match the point in the nose.

Car with plate on:

Car with plate off (Plate assembly attachment still on)

If you look closely, you can notice where the plate is attached with two wing nuts.

Link:
http://www.nakidparts.com/id66csxx.html

Enjoy.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont get what i'm looking at. in the last picture there is no plate. what the point in using it if your gonna remove your plate?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

im guessing so you can drive it around and then rip it off for car shows..? just my guess
Old 04-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
i dont get what i'm looking at. in the last picture there is no plate. what the point in using it if your gonna remove your plate?
Did you read anything? Most people don't like the look of a front plate but have to have one on because of state law. This is a solution for people who want to be able to take the plate off without any damage to the front bumper. This has also saved me from a few tickets as the cop has let me get out and screw it on after he saw it lying in my back seat...
Old 04-26-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jb98camaro
im guessing so you can drive it around and then rip it off for car shows..? just my guess
that would be a reasonable reason to get it.

Originally Posted by Comp T/A
Did you read anything?
yes i did. get rid of the pissy attitude... i just didn't get the point of it

This is a solution for people who want to be able to take the plate off without any damage to the front bumper.
i'm a little lost- wouldn't you still have to remove the stock plate frame? so how would this reduce the risk off damage, if it's gonna be removed either way?

This has also saved me from a few tickets as the cop has let me get out and screw it on after he saw it lying in my back seat...
okay, so it may get you out of a ticket. i say may because there's a good chance you'll never get hassled for not having front plates, so if that never happens, then, what was the point? a fix it ticket is only like $20, so even if you do get a ticket, its still cheaper.

in 4 years with no issues, i finally had a cop pull up to me in a parking lot like 3 days ago asking about why i had no front plate. told him the car had the cover when i bought it. had no issues...

not trying to be a dick . personally, i just dont see any real use in the product for the most part. but i'm sure some people would really like it
Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Different areas have different luck with no front plate. I live in New York, and as many people know the cops can be very strict with enforcing the mandatory front plate law especially in parts of Long Island or traveling via bridge/tunnel. My car is already a cop magnet, (5% tint on all windows, blacked tails, loud exhaust) so I have to be careful already.

I'm sure ticket prices vary as well, but I have received a $90 dollar ticket (in NY) for no front plate when I wasn't even in the car. The ticket was posted to my windshield when I returned to the car. Despite this, I will still never drill holes in my bumper to place a plate mount. Also, as mentioned, this works for car shows as I have been to many judged shows that do not permit you to have a front plate on during the show.

The only piece that is "not" removable from this design is the flat plastic double-stick piece that sits on the bottom face of the bumper that has two bolts that face down to which the L plastic bracket that holds the actual plate is screwed onto via two supplied wing nuts. When removed, there is no sign of a plate ever being there unless looked at from on the ground or at a very low angle.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Every mod is not for everyone. Ed (inventor/seller) has sold this plate mount to hundreds of people all over the U.S and I've never met or heard anyone unhappy with it. I'm simply offering this as a possibility to people for any number of reasons because I personally use it and think it's a great concept.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure you've seen this, right? http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Retra...00U-p/400u.htm

$50 vs $90.
Fold up & out vs Screwing on nuts.

Just sayin'
Old 04-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Yup. Just tryin' to support a friend.

Quick Reply: Removable Front Plate Mount