Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Need some help with whistler mod!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with whistler mod!!!

I was wondering if someone could help with what kind of glue do i use to put the headlight back together?? an if you could post a pic of the glue that i will be needing, thanks a lot.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont use glue use rtv clear silicone stuff any hardware store will carry it. i got mine from Sherwin Williams
Old 04-27-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest using black RTV.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by McNord@6LE
I would suggest using black RTV.
EXACTLY. Clear or blue silicone will look like ****
Old 04-28-2010, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the help.... ive had the headlight painted for about a week but just didnt know what to use to put it back to together lol
Old 04-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

post up pics when you put them on!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah post up pics once its done
Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i used clear and it looks fine...
Old 04-28-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

really wish i used black when i put them back together the silicone pulled some of the paint away hardly noticeable unless ur trying to notice it but with the clear u can black nothing would be noticeable...
Old 04-28-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
i used clear and it looks fine...
the reason they say not to use clear, is because if some of it squeezes out of the seam when you push the lens back on to the housing, there is a chance some will push inside of the light, and it truly does look like **** to see a line of glue inside of there, and the only way to fix it is to pull them back apart and clean it out. if you use black from the get-go, it will just blend should the issue arise.

i had that problem with the first set i did. the second time i learned from that mistake, and actually chose not to add a bead around the seam when i reattached the lens. once i had them reattached, then i added a bead of the sealer around the edges and sealed the gap that way, and didn't have to worry about glue ending up inside.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i might have to do this it looks like crap to me.. all my friends say it turned out great but i notice it.. would cooking them again heat up the silicone to pull them part?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

damnit guys i didnt have a prob with my clear rtv but your starting to convince me. bad thread.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
i might have to do this it looks like crap to me.. all my friends say it turned out great but i notice it.. would cooking them again heat up the silicone to pull them part?
yeah its something ONLY you will notice . but it was still enough for me to not like it. just pop em back in the oven, same as before.

Originally Posted by bill12690
damnit guys i didnt have a prob with my clear rtv but your starting to convince me. bad thread.
It only looks bad IF you were unlucky enough to have squeezed it into the lights where it can be seen. so if you didn't have a problem with that then yours should look fine.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

yeah I can see mine some, although its not a lot. Not enough for me to pull them apart again...
Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

well ill probably end up redoing it, this is my first time trying it so theres room for improvement. this time i just used a spare light that i had to get some practice at it. next time ill buy some halos and try to get it done good
Old 04-30-2010, 01:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
the reason they say not to use clear, is because if some of it squeezes out of the seam when you push the lens back on to the housing, there is a chance some will push inside of the light, and it truly does look like **** to see a line of glue inside of there, and the only way to fix it is to pull them back apart and clean it out. if you use black from the get-go, it will just blend should the issue arise.

i had that problem with the first set i did. the second time i learned from that mistake, and actually chose not to add a bead around the seam when i reattached the lens. once i had them reattached, then i added a bead of the sealer around the edges and sealed the gap that way, and didn't have to worry about glue ending up inside.
THIS THIS THIS

All the threads I read about the Whistler mod said to use clear. I didn't really think that I'd have an issue with the glue squeezing out, but a little of it did at the bottom of the headlight. Not much, and you only notice if you're looking up close, but I know it's there and it bugs the **** out of me. Everybody tells me they look awesome and you can't even notice, but I'm willing to bet at some point I will redo it or buy another set and try it again since I am really **** about that kind of stuff. I hope everyone who does this mod in the future reads this thread and take's crimson bird's advice.

Quick Reply: Need some help with whistler mod!!!