Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Few Questions, Niteshades and Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few Questions, Niteshades and Wheels

Ok this might be better suited in the paint section so please move if need be.

Question 1.) I have 4 factory 16" chrome wheels that came on my car. They are Chrome and in terrible shape. The inner parts of the wheel (dish or dome I suspose its called) is peeling/flaking off. The spokes are in decent shape, might clean up but they are pitted and look a little rough.

I once thought about getting them sand/bead blasted (whats best?) and then maybe either trying to polish them or paint them or powdercoat them.

How much does it or would it cost to get these things stripped good? Perhaps theres a way I could do some of this myself to save some coin? What would you guys do? I would use these as a winter wheel option I think.

Question 2.) Last summer I cleaned my 3rd brake light cover and painted it with niteshades. I did a poor job and it didnt work out very well I had what looked like lines in the paint, I was rushed for time and didnt wet sand and just slapped it back on. Well This weekend I decided to tackle the job of fixing this mess and started sanding to get the lines out. I ended up down to the plastic on the light itself and there are tons of little tiny cracks and lines that have now shown up in the light cover itself. These were not here before the first application of niteshades.

I sanded it down and cleaned the cover with some lacquer thinner and got all the old off. I tried to take all the lines/groves out of the mystery cracks but they were pretty deep. I smoothed it all out and painted did light even coats. I then took the liberty to wet sand with 2k grit and polish it out and then I stuck it on.

My question here is what would have caused this? I noticed that I had a bulb swollen up bigger then hole it went into and one that was burned out. Perhaps that bulb got too hot and did something to the plastic?

Thanks in advance.