Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Having some trouble laying brushed aluminum vinyl decals... Help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Having some trouble laying brushed aluminum vinyl decals... Help...

Not sure what the problem is. The vinyl just isn't adhering to the paint. It peels up in the corners and won't get a good solid stick. I've laid vinyl on three of my F-bodies and never had an issue with it at all. Just picked up an 02' Black WS6 and am doing the vinyl rear PONTIAC insert, front bird overlay, and BlackBird stripes all in brushed aluminum.

I prepped it just like I always do, clay barred the area to get rid of wax, surface debris, etc... then washed the area, then used rubbing alcohol and wiped everything down. I've laid them two ways both ways yielded the same results.

The first way I did it, I used a spray bottle with one drop of liquid soap and the rest water. Laid the vinyl, positioned it, squeegied it and hit it with a head gun to warm it up a bit. Then parked it in the sun for a day to let it get good and warm.

Ordered a new set and tried it a different way the second time. Used Rapid Tac, which is suppose to be a phenomenal product for laying vinyl. Used the Rapid Tac prep and then the Rapid Tac and again laid it in a "Wet" application. Squeegied it out, hit with with heat for a minute, then parked it in the sun. Same **** happened again. WTF?!...

I know that it's not recommended to lay reflective vinyl in a "Wet" manner but is brushed aluminum the same? And why isn't it recommended to lay reflective vinyls "dry"?

Was one day not enough in the sun? How long does vinyl need to cure and fully adhere to the surface?

I can't even wash the car without the vinyl peeling right off... Starting to **** me off...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Having some trouble laying brushed aluminum vinyl decals... Help...