Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Blackbird Stripes install

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Blackbird Stripes install

I would love some feedback on how easy it is to put on the Blackbird Stripes. They should arrive tomorrow and I plan on putting them on this weekend. Do you just peel them off and place them? I'm a little affraid I'm going to screw this up and not get them on straight. Any info would be greatly appriciated.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's easy man. Just take your time, make sure everything is straight and you'll be good.

Here's how I do it when I install vinyl:

Clean the area very well. I actually clay bar the area that I'm going to lay the vinyl on. Just want to make sure that all the crap/wax is off the surface, giving the vinyl a nice clean surface to bond to.

I also use some rubbing alcohol after the area is clean. Just wipe it down and let it dry. Just use the cheap $1 paper towels that you can pick up at a local store. They are lint free and don't leave anything behind.

Now, you can either use a small spray bottle with a drop of liquid soap and water or you can pick up a bottle of a product called "Rapid Tac" which is what I use. It's designed to be used for vinyl applications and it's only $10 or so for a BIG bottle.

When you get the stripes I always trim the paper down right next to the actual decal, makes it easier to see where you're laying it.

Spray the area down very well and then remove the backing from the decal and spray the back of the vinyl down too. Lay the vinyl on the car and get it into position. Once it's where you want it to be get a squeegee or I use an old credit card or something and start squeegeeing out the water from behind the vinyl. MAKE SURE IT'S WHERE YOU WANT IT BC WHEN YOU DO THIS IT WILL BEGIN TO STICK. Once all the water/air bubbles are out from behind it, hit it with a hair dryer to heat it up, let it sit in the sun for a while and then try to remove the backing paper. When you do this don't just pull the paper. Do it at like a 90 degree angle back against itself, this will prevent the vinyl trying to pull up. If it tries to pull up lay it back down and wait longer. GO SLOW. You can also use the "Rapid Tac" to wet down the backing paper and it lets it release easier. Don't know if you can do that with soapy water...

After it's off, let it sit for a few days in the sun, and don't touch it or try wiping it down or anything. Let the vinyl adhere to the surface.

And you're done!
Old 06-15-2010, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^Good tips, I used some tape to mark were mine would go. And if yours are like mine they will be a few inches too long so run them off the front and back and trim to the right shape. I didn't do it on the front of mine and the shapes are a little off.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
It's easy man. Just take your time, make sure everything is straight and you'll be good.

Here's how I do it when I install vinyl:

Clean the area very well. I actually clay bar the area that I'm going to lay the vinyl on. Just want to make sure that all the crap/wax is off the surface, giving the vinyl a nice clean surface to bond to.

I also use some rubbing alcohol after the area is clean. Just wipe it down and let it dry. Just use the cheap $1 paper towels that you can pick up at a local store. They are lint free and don't leave anything behind.

Now, you can either use a small spray bottle with a drop of liquid soap and water or you can pick up a bottle of a product called "Rapid Tac" which is what I use. It's designed to be used for vinyl applications and it's only $10 or so for a BIG bottle.

When you get the stripes I always trim the paper down right next to the actual decal, makes it easier to see where you're laying it.

Spray the area down very well and then remove the backing from the decal and spray the back of the vinyl down too. Lay the vinyl on the car and get it into position. Once it's where you want it to be get a squeegee or I use an old credit card or something and start squeegeeing out the water from behind the vinyl. MAKE SURE IT'S WHERE YOU WANT IT BC WHEN YOU DO THIS IT WILL BEGIN TO STICK. Once all the water/air bubbles are out from behind it, hit it with a hair dryer to heat it up, let it sit in the sun for a while and then try to remove the backing paper. When you do this don't just pull the paper. Do it at like a 90 degree angle back against itself, this will prevent the vinyl trying to pull up. If it tries to pull up lay it back down and wait longer. GO SLOW. You can also use the "Rapid Tac" to wet down the backing paper and it lets it release easier. Don't know if you can do that with soapy water...

After it's off, let it sit for a few days in the sun, and don't touch it or try wiping it down or anything. Let the vinyl adhere to the surface.

And you're done!

Great write up. I will follow this to a "T". I really appriciate it. I'll post up pics once installed. I went with the pinstriped ones; black on my pewter Trans Am.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Great write up. I will follow this to a "T". I really appriciate it. I'll post up pics once installed. I went with the pinstriped ones; black on my pewter Trans Am.
Also, as Black Sheep noted, you'll need to trim them as they will be too long, but it's no big deal.

And you can use tape if you like to help hold it centered, and a grease pen to marke where you want it, then just line up the marks once everything is wet. I've always just free handed mine because that works better for me, but using tape and a grease pen work great for some people, it's just whatever makes it easier for you...

Quick Reply: Blackbird Stripes install