Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

New interior, paint and engine build

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New interior, paint and engine build

Thought I would share my progress with you guys on my 98 T/A.

After giving it a lot of thought and trying to decide what I wanted to do, I've decided to keep it and finally build it the way I've wanted to. On top of that I've become pretty attached to this damn car over the last 2 and half years, and this is the first anything my wife and I ever bought together and we've had some really good times with this car despite all its breakdowns and cussing its caused.
I want(have always wanted) a very clean, (both inside and out) and fast car. This means new paint, new carpet and some new interior plastics to replace some that are pretty worn. I'm also looking at some different ways to update the interior a little bit.

I'm finally gonna put a nice stereo in this one. JL Audio ZR components in the front doors, JL Audio Evolution C5 6.5's in the rear sail panels, all powered by a pair of JL HD 750's. I'll also be using all JL Audio interconnects and battery terminals etc.
My wheels should finally been here within the next week (I've waited forever and a day on) 18" I-Forged Sprints with Semi-Gloss black centers and polished lips. 18x8.5 front and 18x11 rears.

The really big change will be the exterior. The wife and I have decided to paint it Corvette Cyber Gray with a semi-gloss black CETA on the rear. We'll also be deleting the "trans am" emblems on the door.

The current engine is for sale to free up some funds for the new engine. It will be a LS3 based 418 stroker. TFS 235's, and either a Vic Jr. style intake and elbow or a ported 102 combo. Just not sure yet. I'm also staying with a FLT built Stage 4, 4L60E. This trans has been great and I don't forsee any problems on the new set up. As for a converter, I'm up in the air. Pretty sure it will still be a Yank, just don't know which one.

It will also be getting a custom fuel system from XP Racing just like Trust's T/A had,and Brett will be handling the tuning again. The goal is 600+ rwhp on motor. Gonna stick with the n20 and I'm gonna stay with Nitrous Outlet equimpent. Suspension will stay the same on the front aside from a tubular K-member. The rear will be upgraded with QA1's, Adjustable torque arm and a 9" rear with a good sway bar.

Gonna be a long time before its done, but it should be a fun build! Goal is to have it finished by Power Tour 2012.

Tonight I started on the interior. I removed all the seats, rear speakers and amp I had installed back when I bought the car. Also tore out the old carpet to make way for the new and so I could also install some sound deadner in the floor. This is a must for me after having driven it on Power Tour, I want to keep as much heat out as possible during the summer. All the seats are in very good shape so they'll be cleaned up and left alone. I've also gotta clean up some of the nitrous, purge and bottle heater wiring while I've got it all apart. I'll post some pics tomm of the progress so far.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Pic's from the first night of work. Sorry for the quality, I"m just snapping these with my I phone as I go.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

I'm also toying with the idea of having the "halo" between the t-tops and rear hatch hydro dipped in a carbon fiber (like the ZR1 vette) and also having the same treatment done on the vents in each fender to add a little sumthin' sumthin' to it.

For anyone who's not framiliar with the Cyber Grey

And to give you an idea about the roof portion:
Old 06-23-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

The carbon fiber dipped halo may not happen after all. I had forgotten about that piece being glued down and they always break when removed. I may say screw it and do it any and get a new piece, I'll figure that out a little later.
I also plan on shaving the "pontiac" logo off the head light cover. Still up in the air if I'm going to black out the side marker lights and 3rd brake light or not. Any thoughts?

On to this evening's progress. Once again sorry for the pics, I'm just snapping them with my I phone as I go. I got both head light covers off, both rocker moldings, the tail lights, spoiler and rear bumper cover and front fender side vents.

Next up for tomm night is removing the mirrors, front bumper cover, fog lights and maybe the front fenders.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So ver 1.0 was at this year Power tour, how long before ver 2.0 makes it, 2012? Best of luck.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
So ver 1.0 was at this year Power tour, how long before ver 2.0 makes it, 2012? Best of luck.
That's right! There is no way I'll miss Power Tour in '12.
At the latest it will be 2012, but lord I hope it doesn't take that long. I'd really like to have it all done this time next year. Paint will be my biggest hang up since the guy who will be doing the painting is backed up for at the very least 8 months. We had a nice tornado come through OKC and then the wild *** hail storm that came through really did a number on so many thousands of cars. I will be doing 95% of the body work myself along with all the other stuff.
I also didn't time this out to well, and just went ahead and decided to start it all at once, i.e now money saved, gotta save and spend a little as I go.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck! Looks like you've thought this out very well...very excited to see the process and results!

BTW that vette is SICK!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

I hope I have! This is only the second time I've torn off into a project like this. I'm very excited to see this finished product in person, b/c in my mind it looks killer!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

looks like a big project hope it goes as planned, be sure and keep posting pics of the progress, and the wheels.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like it will be a very nice build. As far as interior goes I would try and lay down some type of sound deadner material to help keep things quiet in the cabin. This will make it feel a lot better without totally being a rattling death trap after your motor work.

One thing you could also try is the leather/vinyl wrapping. I tried it and suck horrible but maybe you'll be good at it and can do it yourself and save some time and money on it and get a much better look and feel for your interior.

Its something I would do if I had the time and funding.

Good luck! At least you picked a sweet color!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
Sounds like it will be a very nice build. As far as interior goes I would try and lay down some type of sound deadner material to help keep things quiet in the cabin. This will make it feel a lot better without totally being a rattling death trap after your motor work.

One thing you could also try is the leather/vinyl wrapping. I tried it and suck horrible but maybe you'll be good at it and can do it yourself and save some time and money on it and get a much better look and feel for your interior.

Its something I would do if I had the time and funding.

Good luck! At least you picked a sweet color!
Its def. getting a layer of sound deadner on the floor, doors and rear hatch area. Giving some thought to hydro dipping some of the door handle pieces and maybe the stereo surround and part of the center console. The leather is in great shape on the factory seats, but I'll probably go ahead and put some Katzkin covers on them.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looks like it will be a fun build. keep us posted with new pics to keep our interest lOL!!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for end result
Old 06-26-2010, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jarrod's car (OP) is already real nice, the end result will be very kickass. Can't wait to see the build pan out man, hit me up if you ever need a hand with anything.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Photochop
Jarrod's car (OP) is already real nice, the end result will be very kickass. Can't wait to see the build pan out man, hit me up if you ever need a hand with anything.
Thanks for the props Ryan. I'll def be calling if I need any help!
I'm ready for yours to be done so I can ride in yours to tide myself over
Old 06-27-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Nice build idea man. Def keep us posted on progress and look forward to seeing it in person. You still in Norman?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

We bought a house in Moore back in December, but I'm still working in Norman. Saw you the other day when I was pulling into Heitz chevy's lot. I was in my truck.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Did a little more work tonight. Got the fenders front bumper and head lights out. Also got the nitrous wiring pulled loose and marked so I can redo it when I do the wire mod. I also decided to go ahead and spray the engine bay a semi gloss black to match the ceta.
Here some pics
Old 06-28-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Pics added to next post

Last edited by Twotonefreak; 06-29-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Last edited by Twotonefreak; 06-29-2010 at 08:22 AM.

Quick Reply: New interior, paint and engine build