Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Quick VHT question. Clearcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Quick VHT question. Clearcoat?

When you guys VHT stuff do you use clearcoat? if so what kind? Also does anyone skip clearcoat and just buff/polish the finish? or do some do both? Opinions? Thanks
Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always use clearcoat when I do it. It gives it a better more professional finish. Also you've got to watch that night shade. It's a tint, not a paint. Treat it as such. Chalky, dark, overly night shaded pieces don't look good.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

VHT does not recommend that you use clear on niteshade. I didn't when I did my taillights and it came out MUCH better looking than my side-markers that I used clear on.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^You must have messed something up then honestly.

I VHT'd/cleared mine over 3yrs ago & they still look identical to the day I put them back on the car. And my car sits outside in the elements year round along with being daily driven.

I used Duplicolor Truck/SUV clear coat. Put 3 medium coats on letting it flash for about 15 minutes between coats. There is some orange peel but when the car gets painted that will get fixed with light wet sanding. Its not noticeable until your really lookin at it anyway.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
^You must have messed something up then honestly.

I VHT'd/cleared mine over 3yrs ago & they still look identical to the day I put them back on the car. And my car sits outside in the elements year round along with being daily driven.

I used Duplicolor Truck/SUV clear coat. Put 3 medium coats on letting it flash for about 15 minutes between coats. There is some orange peel but when the car gets painted that will get fixed with light wet sanding. Its not noticeable until your really lookin at it anyway.
The point is that VHT doesn't list a clear that you should use for niteshade. That should be proof enough that you don't need it and in some cases it doesn't work too well.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

uhh yea definitely use clear coat on the VHT.. the VHT should only be used for the actual darkening of the piece.. use clear for the glossy finish and to withstand the elements etc. Plus you can buff out clear coat easier and the finish won't rub off as easily as the VHT does with no clear.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by djfury05
uhh yea definitely use clear coat on the VHT.. the VHT should only be used for the actual darkening of the piece.. use clear for the glossy finish and to withstand the elements etc. Plus you can buff out clear coat easier and the finish won't rub off as easily as the VHT does with no clear.
Exactly.

I dont care if VHT says use a clear or not, its been proven time & time again that they can be cleared & look better with the extra clear coat on it. There is a huge thread with very good info on doin this mod correctly.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Exactly.

I dont care if VHT says use a clear or not, its been proven time & time again that they can be cleared & look better with the extra clear coat on it. There is a huge thread with very good info on doin this mod but for some reason people keep askin how to do it & messing up when they try.

Maybe the sticky needs to be huge & flashing so people actually notice it, LOL.
It's cool that yours worked out well. Mine did too. No clearcoat needed (for me). Have you seen the pictures of mine? Almost a mirror like finish.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

Good. Maybe you just picked a clear that didnt like the VHT for your side markers, who knows. The OP asked about clearing them as well & I told him what clear he can use that will stick & last when applied properly.

Just b/c a can of spray on tint doesnt list a clear coat is "needed" doesnt mean you cannot clear coat them successfully.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good. Maybe you just picked a clear that didnt like the VHT for your side markers, who knows. The OP asked about clearing them as well & I told him what clear he can use that will stick & last when applied properly.

Just b/c a can of spray on tint doesnt list a clear coat is "needed" doesnt mean you cannot clear coat them successfully.
It's not on the can. It's VHT's site that lists what clears to use with their paints. Also...The OP can do whatever he wants. The point I'm making here is that clear isn't necessary and it looks just as good without it.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are some clearcoats that DO NOT get along with the VHT. Chemical reaction or something. However, the duplicolor truck/van clearcoat is compatible with it. And it can't hurt anything, all it will

I wish I knew how to wetsand/buff things properly, but I don't, and I didn't want to try and screw up my tails so they have a little more orange peel than I'd prefer...
Old 06-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Most people use the clear coat also because it helps protect the VHT from everyday out door things or scratches and stuff like that. You dont wanna get it scratched and have one big long streak of normal tail light color lol
Old 06-24-2010, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

I used clear on my tails after VHT. At first they became hazy and milky looking. I think this is because I didn't wait long enough in between coats. But after wetsanding and polishing they came out great.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Buford17
Most people use the clear coat also because it helps protect the VHT from everyday out door things or scratches and stuff like that. You dont wanna get it scratched and have one big long streak of normal tail light color lol
This is exactly why you want to use clear. Nobody doubts that you can get a great-looking finish with the VHT alone. But that finish will be no where as durable as one that's been cleared.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

ended up buying some duplicolor clear-coat and my corners look great. Might give them a quick buff at some point but they look fine for now
Old 06-25-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cleared mine about three years ago and still looks new.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, this question gets asked every week here....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...new-again.html

Skip to post # 11 if you don't want to read the whole procedure.

You are not going to scratch Niteshades off (leaving an untinted section of your light) any easier than you will scratch off clear coat. It is not a spray-on tint. It is a tinted clear-coating .

Last edited by dubga; 06-25-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dubga
Honestly, this question gets asked every week here....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...new-again.html

Skip to post # 11 if you don't want to read the whole procedure.

You are not going to scratch Niteshades off (leaving an untinted section of your light) any easier than you will scratch off clear coat. It is not a spray-on tint. It is a tinted clear-coating .
Nobody would listen to me...Maybe they will listen to you. doubtful.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

^^Honestly why does it matter? Cause we who use clear coat advise it for added protection?

Your not the first one to do this mod by far & will not be the last. So if people wanna use clear coat I'm gonna keep tellin them which brand works best with the VHT.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^Honestly why does it matter? Cause we who use clear coat advise it for added protection?

Your not the first one to do this mod by far & will not be the last. So if people wanna use clear coat I'm gonna keep tellin them which brand works best with the VHT.
You don't seem to understand. You can do whatever the hell you want. I couldn't care less. The point is that VHT doesn't recommend it. Maybe there is a reason for that? Everyone should have all the information presented to them so they can make their own informed decision. So if I want to inform the OP that VHT doesn't recommend a clear for niteshade I think it's just fine if I do so.

Quick Reply: Quick VHT question. Clearcoat?