31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

T top leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T top leaking?

Hi, I was planning to do the Conversion on my hardtop, but My dad won't let me because he thinks that they will leak to much. I don't think so, but I have this poll to convince him otherwise. Please help me with this, because i really want them.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Talk to someone who has done the conversion. Factory T-Tops and conversion kits can have different outcomes as it pertains to leaks. He has a valid concern.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dwhiteZ28
Talk to someone who has done the conversion. Factory T-Tops and conversion kits can have different outcomes as it pertains to leaks. He has a valid concern.
don't know anyone personally with a 4th gen, except for one person, and she has a vert.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't do it. Sooner or later they will leak. That's why I ordered my hard top.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

My tops leak only when there's a heavy downpour. Even then, it's a fairly conservative leak but annoying nonetheless.

The t-top look is worth it. After I finish with my million-hour detail, I'm going to take a close look at the weatherstripping to see what's going on. It's true that t-tops will always eventually leak, but it's also true that like anything else on our cars, it can be fixed.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine leak during heavy rains, light rains, car washes, etc...... Ws6 store was selling the weather stripping for cheap. If I wasn't broke I would pick it up!

If you use new weather stripping and are careful. I am sure you can get a good seal. I wouldn't want to cut the roof off my car. Unless it was for a targa top.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

my camaro used to leak, but it had to do with t-top i bought. originally, i never had any problems with leaking, and then one day i forgot to lock the drivers side top down, and it flew away on the freeway. When i bought a replacement, thats when i started having problems. it was very slightly different in fit, and the window didn't seal up tight with the weather stripping, which only became aparent when i washed the car, or it rained.

no problems with the trans am at all.

I think t-tops are worth it, i say go for it. i love taking the tops off.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I converted mine and they don't leak one single drop unless you take it through a car wash or a handheld power washer. I've been in downpours so heavy that I couldn't see the front of the car and they didn't leak.

My take on the conversions is that since you're doing everything 'custom' you intentionally make it leak, so you can find all of them and plug them up. It took me a good 8 hours to make mine water tight; mostly due to RTV curing time. But once you get the windows adjusted to the new roofline and the RTV in place to seal everything up it can be 100% water tight.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frankly.... if no leaks is your main goal (or at least your Dad's).... I would leave the hardtop alone. Look at this way.... you can always do the conversion sometime in the future.... some time when maybe leaks and your Dad's approval are no longer issues of concern.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

keep the hard top. the leaks are way more annoying than having the t tops. its way too much work with a high probability of failure. You will be much happier you kept the hard top.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine don't leak, not really. I may get an occasional drop, randomly, but that's more due to 12 year old weatherstripping than anything.

Now doing a conversion, you may have more of a chance of leaks.... the only way I'd do a hardtop to t-top conversion is let someone who has done them before do it. IMO.

Quick Reply: T top leaking?