Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Car Detailing Tips/Products

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Detailing Tips/Products

Well I searched through the forum and didn't really find anything like this, so I figured I'd start one. I also started the same thread over on CF but I figured I would start it here as well.

I am just wondering what great tips or products people have used and would like to share. No one can know it all, and it's great to share information so we all benefit.

I figured you could put up a tip that worked well, or a product that you used and liked or didn't like. I also want to know why, was it the price, durability, effectiveness, performance, etc???

I guess I'll start.

As far as products, I used to always use Black Magic tire wet to dress my tires. It looks good, great shine and really wet, but it slings like none other. I would only use it for a car show or something now. After various sprays and foams from various manufactures (turtle wax, Meguire's), I now used Armor All Extreme Tire Gel. It does not sling at all, it lasts for a while, and it gives the tire a nice wet look. It's by far the best that I have used (although I haven't tried any other tire dressing gel, only sprays and foams).

Another product I love, is the Advanced Auto Parts generic brand 'Professional Series Wheel Cleaner'. It cleaned filthy daily driver wheels great and left no haze or anything. It only required scrubbing on the caked on dirt. I have used Mequire's Hot Wheels, Eagle One Wheel Cleaner, and the Turtle Wax nanotechnology stuff in the light green bottle didn't clean off a little brake dust, and it left a haze on my suburban's wheels, it was trash.

I also used the Eagle One Keep Clean. On the commercial on TV it made honey run right off the wheel, it sounded good to me. It was terrible. It did absolutely nothing to keep brake dust off of my wheels. On my Jeep I even did one side of the car with it, and didn't use it on the other 2 wheels. All the wheels were equally dirty within a week.

The Mothers Detail Spray does work quite well to get your car looking amazing between waxes, but I've never used another kind of detail spray.

I've also been pretty happy the Meguire's Leather Shampoo and Conditioner. Although I'm not sure that it lasts very long.

As far as tips, I have used Black Magic Tire Wet (which I don't used for my tires anymore so I have a bunch of it) to spray on my wheel wells and it makes them look nice.

I also used a clay bar while I am washing my car. It's must quicker than washing and using the clay bar afterward with a detail spray. The soapy water actually keeps the clay bar lubricated better. And either way gets your car very smooth and gets all the contaminates off.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All silicone and oil based tire shines suck ***, try something like tuff shine, it's basically a tire clearcoat that lasts for weeks, month or two even.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

I went to the website, it sounds amazing. But there is no way to buy it on the website. Where do you get this stuff from?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything with the Meguiars name on it will be good. I like the All Purpose Cleaner because you can dilute it any way you want depending on what you are cleaning. Tires, wheel wells, door jams, interior, carpet spots, it will clean it all.

Also, I am a big fan Optimum No Rinse car wash. You wash your entire car with one gallon of water, and you dont rinse it off, just dry. It's no gimic or "too good ot be true" thing.....the TOP detailers in the country use this stuff for maintenance washes. Wash you car in your own garage if its too hot or cold outside! You can also dilute it to use as a spray detailer or clay lube. It leaves a very slick feel to the car too!

As far as heavy detailing goes and paint correction, I am a HUGE fan of the Meguairs 105/205 system. 105 corrections the harshest of paint imperfections, then you follow it with 205 to remove the swirls. Go from 1500 sanding scratches to a 100% swirl free finish in two steps!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

i like to use bleach white for tires/rims, i then follow it up with a powerball and meguires polish.

for paint i like the meguires cleaner wax followed with NXT tech 2.0 (which i dont really like cause it smudges and doesnt last a long time) but then i follow up with some meguires step 3 deep crystal wax. I think im going to switch to zaino tho cause im really learning to hate the NXT wax.

on a side note i use armor all tire shine and i hate it cause it slings everywhere and doesnt last a long time so im currently looking for something better.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

My favorite line-up with a PC:

Meg's #105
Meg's #205
Danase Wet Glaze
Collinite 476S
Meg's Ultimate Quik Detailer

Apply in that order. Use as many passes as #105/205 as you feel comfortable with. Technique is extremely important at this stage and there's a lot of Google-able info regarding it. I'd aim for roughly 75-80% correction and let DWG do the rest (fillers). The 476S will layer on it perfectly and once it's buffed, lay on the UQD.

UQD will be your maintenance layer after a good rain/wash/dust-off. I would keep it up at least twice a week depending upon exposure. The Collinite layer will be good for a few months, especially with proper maintenance.

I won't comment on tire shine/interior products because it's far less interesting than polishing paint, but I will say that Meguiar's Interior Detailer is good stuff. It's got a nice satin shine - nothing like the blingy Armor-All.

Quick Reply: Car Detailing Tips/Products