Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any one have any links to step by step exterior detail for black car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any one have any links to step by step exterior detail for black car?

Im looking for a good step by step process for doing a good exterior detail on my 2001 black z06. The car looks pretty good now I recently clay bared it and a light buff. Im looking for best products as far as wax is concerned. Some thng to keep it looking wet and add depth. Need to know what pads to use and in what order.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.autopia.org/
Old 08-28-2010, 03:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Autopia is a good site, also check out meguiars online... www.Meguiarsonline.com
You don't have to spend a lot of money for great results. I've been a lurker on MOL for a year or two and I've learned so much. I detail cars with Meguiars consumer line (over the counter) I pretty much just do single step paint correction, and use Meguairs Ultimate Compound which you can get at any parts store. I use a PC 7424 with a Lake Country Orange pad then follow with Meguiars NXT 2.0. You'll be amazed at the results and just the overall better appearance of your car.

Here are some before and after pics of a black Mustang GT/F250 Outlaw/RSX I did with the LC orange pad with Meguiars UC, then followed with NXT (the pics are before NXT though, except for the daylight pics of the F250)

Before

After (lighting was a little off, but it still looked as good as it seems)

Reflection shot of the F250

Before (Little scratch in the RSX)

After

Before (RSX)

After (most swirls gone and a whole lot more depth added)

Mustang GT (Couldn't tell how bad it was until I started buffing) I'll let you figure out which side is buffed Not the best pic but you get the idea.

I'm by no means a pro but you wouldn't have any problems with the Porter Cable 7424, Lake Country pads, Meguiars Ultimate Compound...or Swirl X if the paint's not too bad, and followed by Meguiars NXT 2.0. The PC 7424 is soooo user friendly. As long as you don't get dumb and stay in the same spot too long and press so hard your denting the body panels then you won't have any problems. Some imperfections will require a couple passes to get the results you want, just be patient and only work a 2'x2' section at a time. Also, work the product in for a while just make sure there's still a LITTLE bit of product left on the paint when you stop buffing. If you want to get fancy (like I'm going to before too long) try Meguiars 105 followed by Meguiars 205, then hit it with some NXT 2.0 wax. Let me know if I can help anymore.

One more thing.... you can also polish with a LC white or blue pad after the Ultimate Compound and before the NXT to get it extra shiny! By far my longest post...ever! haha
Old 08-28-2010, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

If you need a meguairs g110 polisher I have one that pretty much brand new I never use. I can sell it.